Mainland China data sim

Hello.

Any frequent PRC travellers know what is the easiest way for me to secure a prepaid sim for data? I was told that getting a prepaid once you get there is extremely difficult, so was hoping that there’s some local businesses I can purchase a pre-activated sim off in Taipei. I will only be there for a few days.

Don’t know who told you that but in Harbin it was extremely easy to get a long term very affordable China Unicom card that I can use whenever I enter the country as long as I keep it topped up every now and then. All you need is your passport. But if you run into any barriers, either try one of the smaller family run shops or ask for a 暂时的手机卡。

Hmm, I’ve had multiple people tell me its not easy for foreigners to get a sim, but ok I will investigate this China Unicom card that you have mentioned. Thanks!!

Could be different from city to city, like I said I was in Harbin which is quite possibly on the other side of China to where you are going. But places like Shenzhen, Guangzhou, Shanghai and Beijing have so many foreigners it really shouldn’t be a problem. Remember to bring your passport.
If you see a small stand selling bottled water and newspapers ask them for a phone card because they are most likely an outlet.

Why would it matter? The Internet remains as shitty and inaccessible in China whether you’re using a SIM or WiFi. I call China the “Internet Black Hole”, and this is one of the primary reasons I avoid going to China if at all possible.

Ouch. I have no real experience with this, but its not good enough for Line/Whatsapp/Wechat? :S

Line and Whatsapp are blocked… Wechat available as it’s a Chinese service…

Ah I have a VPN that should be OK for that!

Not all VPNs work. And China is preparing to mount a major crackdown on VPNs soon.

All the more reason to avoid China like the plague.

Hmm I better do some research, thanks for that!

Last time I checked, LINE doesn’t work. I wouldn’t expect Google maps to work too well either.

When I was there, I used my data plan on my phone solely for messaging. Browsing or gaming was just too slow.

I believe Whatsapp and Skype work fine. I would start gathering people’s contact info for those messaging platforms before you head over.

Yeah seem a hassle even for VPNs nowadays, I may just roam instead O_O.

Old boss didn’t have issues roaming on a Taiwan network, but it would cost a lot if you’re going per MB, not as much if you buy a plan, but still more expensive than getting a local SIM.

Yeah, cap of 499NT/day for TWM, but hey unlimited!

PSA - For those on TWM, here are the roaming packs you can get that is accurate as of last week:

於CMCC漫遊之公告資費如下:上網0.03元/1KB;發簡訊2.96元/則,收簡訊免費;撥打當地號碼9.26元/分鐘;打回台灣14.4元/分鐘;接電話22.09元/分鐘;使用WiFi上網請暫關閉數據漫遊功能。

申辦中國三合一$268專案,享單日上網1GB語音10分鐘和簡訊10則,另提供三日型3GB $768方案、五日型5GB $1268方案,若要申辦單日型簡訊輸入321C1、3日型輸入321C3、5日型輸入321C5發送至823,簡訊發送後稍待幾分鐘即可收到系統簡訊回覆,如未收到系統簡訊,可於簡訊輸入Q回傳至823查詢(漫遊簡訊費)。另也提供中國上網日租型專案最低$49起,吃到飽收費$399/日(微量上網用戶不適用此方案),確認申裝簡訊傳送欲申辦天數(1天按N1,2天按N2,最長申請30天N30)至823,如有疑問洽+886935120080付費客服專線。