Mainland China Visas

I guess the travel agents will tell me the details but I thought I’d ask here first as I’ve been told wrong by them on too many occassions.

How can I get a visitor visa to mainland China if I’m currently in Taiwan? I’m a UK citizen though I guess that doesn’t make any difference. Is it something the travel agent will have to do or can I book the flights and hotels separately and then get the visa myself.

Thanks,
StevieB

By the way, got the latest Lonely Planet Japan guide - just a couple of months old. Will swap for the China one.

I’m sure there’s some way to get the visa yourself (maybe in Hong Kong or Shanghai), but it’s much, much easier to let a travel agent here do it for you.

I got a Mainland China visa from my travel agent here for 2000 NT (single entry, about a year ago). I also got Mainland China visa in Hong Kong before, 720 HKD for same day, double entry visa.

It’s much less hassle to have it done here, I think.

HTH
Iris

Thanks for the info, looks like I’ll get it here first.

many thanks,
Steve

You buy the ticket in Taiwan all the way. Make sure to get to HK early, I would aim for 10 AM at the latest, that’s what I usually do. Bring a few passport pics and 550 honkie dollars + an additional processing fee, which is cheaper than taking hte train to central. (I forgot the exact amount needed).

Once in HK, you pass thru immigration and go look for counter a4 in the arrival hall. It’s China Travel Service. You apply there. If you apply early enough, you might be able to pick it up at 2 PM, but usually, you get in at 6.30 PM, so I would not have an onward ticket earlier than 7:30 PM.

I have done this a few times, and the biggest hassle is to kill the time in the bloody airport, but I usually end up in the pub across from the visa counter.

It can be a bit faster (but not cheaper) to take the train to central and go to the Chinese consulate. Their web site is in Chinese, so I put their phone no below and they should be able to answer, if you can get thru:

(852)-34132424

Wow, Mr. He, this info is worth a lot of Guanxi. Thanks to your description, I breezed through Hong Kong on Friday: applied for my visa by 9am, got it by 1.10pm and got on the next flight to Shanghai by 1.50pm (instead of the 7.45pm that I was booked on). 3 hours were easily killed preparing my meeting while sipping Earl Grey tea in the open cafe on the departure level.

The only drawback was the whopping fee of 800 HK$ :?

But it’s definitely the fastest way for getting a visa.

Thanks again
Iris

I spoke to several of my friends here in Taiwan and they informed me in no uncertain terms that the “Republic of China” here in Taiwan is the legitimate government of China . . . . . .

Hence, if you are travelling to another part of China, I mean other than Taiwan, then I assume that a visa granted by the Republic of China authorities would be all you would need.

(I haven’t had the chance to get a second verification on this information, nor have I seen the newest Lonely Planet guide . . . . . )

[quote=“marky”]I spoke to several of my friends here in Taiwan and they informed me in no uncertain terms that the “Republic of China” here in Taiwan is the legitimate government of China . . . . . .
[/quote]

They dropped this claim a few years back.
Although the PRC still claims Taiwan province???

Anyway, if you follow this logic than you should indeed be able to enter the PRC with a Taiwan visa or ARC etc…

Maybe we could try applying for a compatriot ARC for the PRC.

I think it would be no problem if you just told the chaps at immigration that as the Taiwanese authorities are the legitimate government of all China, and as the “PRC” doesn’t exist you can’t need a visa for it, they’d let you straight in.

Anyway, joking aside, how much does it cost in Taipei, and how long does it take? I don’t want to pay eight squillion HK dollars for a

While visiting Macau I took a short day trip to China by walking across the boarder. Immigration was both quick and helpful on the PRC side and I had no more than a five minute wait as they took care of all the paperwork.

[quote=“hexuan”]
Anyway, joking aside, how much does it cost in Taipei, and how long does it take? I don’t want to pay eight squillion HK dollars for a

2200NT$… That’s cheaper and then the visa will be there for pickup late afternoon. You can also take a bus to central and get it done in the Chinese consulate - might be a bit cheaper overall, but you are asking for same-day service and some times they courier the documents in - like they did with Iris (and me last timeI went). However, I don’t care about the cost, as I am usually not paying.

There is no “consulate” or any other PRC government agency in HK that issues visas for entering the mainland. You have to go to China Travel Service. They seem to have a monopoly. I’ve heard backpackers talk of getting visas cheaper or faster than what CTS offers, but if you call Beijing’s representative office in HK, they will tell you that you must go to CTS.

Nitpicking. The CTS acts as a consulate, at least when it comes to service :wink:

Well, at least as far as the quality of service is concerned, I’d have to agree with you. They suck.

[quote=“d726t9”][quote=“hexuan”]

Hexuan: Interlink offers the visa service as well: 02-2578-0611. I always deal with Maria.

It’s obviously 2,200 NT$ for a short-term visa and 2,800 for a longer term visa, but I don’t know the details. They are processing a 2,200 NT$ visa for me right now because I’ll go back to Shanghai next week :slight_smile:

Eztravel details can be found under: www.eztravel.com.tw (Chinese only)

Edit: oops, it seems they are reorganizing their website. Maybe you better call Interlink…

HTH
Iris

I may be visiting China this summer, on an American passport. I’ve heard that in retaliation for the U.S. requiring visa applicants from China to have fingerprints done, China has decided to require visa applicants from the U.S. to go through an interview.

Anyone know if this is true/in force? How much more difficult/expensive will it make it for me to get a visa through an agent here in Taipei?

Citizens of certain countries, still trying to find the list of shich ones, can be granted a short term landing visa, i think either 3 or 5 days.

Did this a couple of years ago in Shanghai, absolutely no problem, i am a Brit, does not work for Taiwanese though :astonished:

Yeah thanks Iris, Sean at Interlink is sorting me out. Apparently you can get a 12mth multiple entry for NT$6,200.