"Mainland"

Why do people use this word? Sure if you use it you think that Taiwan is part of China?

Previous threads …

And basically, like with most language, people use it because other people use it. I try to avoid it but it slipped into my vocabulary long ago and still pops out once in a while.

You got it backwards.
It’s a legacy term from when most people in the world considered this here to be China, and the big part belonged to it.
When I was a kid, nobody ever called this place Taiwan, it was China (often referred to as Free China), and the other bit was called, variously, Red China, Communist China, or Mainland China.
Nixon and then Carter put the kibosh on that.

6 Likes

I prefer the more eloquent “Chinese Beijing” myself.

4 Likes

Rumo(u)r has it that the US was trying to set up an independent republic of Taiwan or Formosa or whatever, but Grandpa Chiang and the like kept saying “不要.”

And…there is an undercurrent of folks who claim that Chiangs “reunification” was illegal since Taiwan was still under the jurisdiction of the US at the time.

This whole mess is just one missed opportunity after the other.

1 Like

from a purely non political perspective, the mainland is the mainland, an island is an island, a peninsula is a peninsula etc

5 Likes

Yes. That’s very smart. You know geography. Do New Zealand people call Australia “the Mainland”? Do Madagascar people call Africa “the Mainland”?
Even you want to be clinical, it is a political thing. Why do Taiwan people sometimes say “the Mainland”. It is clearly if you say that thinking that Taiwan is part of China. Why not just say “China” instead? Semantics is important.

New Zeeland is over 4000 kilometers from Australia and not part of the same continent. Thats about 1000 kilometers more that the distance from Taipei to India.

Irrelevant. “Mainland” is a political loaded word.

And also Taiwan is not part of a continent.Just because it have closer proximity to China than New Zealand have to Australia, it doesn’t make it part of it.

Fair enough, I guess so.

You could say China or PRC, but then are you including the SAR’s? Mainland is used in a relatively consistent manner and therefore is less ambiguous, despite the paradoxical inclusion of Hainan.

You keep saying this make it look like innocuous and innocent. If you say “Mainland” you assumption is that there is one China and Taiwan is a part of it. This is KMT logic. If you want to make an excuse that is ok. But don’t pretend that it’s not political and nonimportant.

And why say “the Mainland” when you can just say “China”? Is it very complication? Words are important.

Not necessarily. Mainland China means exactly that. It doesn’t necessarily imply that there’s any current political connection to Taiwan. There are certainly historical connections.

3 Likes

When Qing dynasty annexed it or when the Japanese invaded, or when Chaing Kai Shek ran here with stolen treasure?

Why is it so hard to understand that you can call China “China” not “the Mainland”?

大陸 is the most politically neutral term. 中國, 中國大陸,內地 all have political baggage . Taiwanese are bored of this and don’t want anyone talking to them about politics.

2 Likes

There are longstanding historical and cultural connections.

What you’re saying isn’t hard to understand, you certainly keep repeating it enough :slight_smile: I just don’t see it as a problem–I don’t think the term necessarily holds the political connotation you’re suggesting.

OK. It’s bang your head against a floor.

If you say “the Mainland” it assumes you are part of it. Does it take Einstein to see this?
I’m going to leave this and I’m sorry I started. Like everyone tramp on me for saying Taiwan is not part of China. 88

That’s funny. You make a point. I guess you just wanted people to say “Wow, that’s right Epicphony. I never thought of that before!” But I have a contrasting opinion, which I introduce into discussion–shocking on a discussion site I know–and you make sarcastic comments, cry you’re going to leave and say people are tramping on you.

:ok: :ok_hand: :ok_man:

5 Likes