"Mainland"

You mean sources of Mao’s support for Taiwan independence?

1928, members of Taiwan Communist Parties who escaped Japanese persecution announced the formation of their party with the support of the CCP in Shanghai Their party mission statement:

https://www.marxists.org/chinese/reference-books/formosa-cp/10.htm

1.打倒总督专制政治——打倒日本帝国主义
2.台湾人民独立万岁 (Viva Taiwanese Independence)
3.建立台湾共和国 (Formation of the Taiwan Republic)

In 1936, Edgar Snow interviewed Mao, and published in “Red Star over China”

Mao responded unequivocally:

It is the immediate task of China to regain all our lost territories, not merely to defend our sovereignty south of the Great Wall. This means that Manchuria must be regained. We do not, however, include Korea, formerly a Chinese colony, but when we have re-established the independence of the lost territories of China, and if the Koreans wish to break away from the chains of Japanese imperialism, we will extend them our enthusiastic help in their struggle for independence. The same thing applies for Taiwan.

In 1947, Mao made a statement on the radio in response to the KMT’s 228 massacre of Taiwanese elites.

我們中國共產黨所領導的武裝部隊,完全支援台灣人民反對蔣介石和國民黨的鬥爭。我們贊成台灣獨立,我們贊成台灣自己成立一個自己所要求的國家。

Our armed forces led by the Chinese Communist Part completely supports the struggle of the people of Taiwan against Chiang Kai-shek and the KMT. We support Taiwan independence. We support Taiwan form a nation with self-determination.

There are also such statements from Zhou En-lai. They didn’t claim Taiwan as part of its territory until Chiang boldie got here.

Apologies (someone asked for a source for hansioux’s statements, so I did what I could–not meaning to blame hansioux), but hopefully it won’t cause too much of a problem; I discovered years ago that no one reads my posts but an occasional mod, or maybe every now and then the administrator (not self-pity, I kind of like it that way) :slight_smile:

But anyway:

In this time frame (gotta go to my gig soon), I don’t think I can do any justice to that one, but I can provide some obvious stuff.

You got your Mainland Affairs Council, founded in 1988:

Then there’s Walt Rostow, the guy who gave us the Vietnam War (just kidding, just kidding, but back in 1969 my high school speech teacher seemed to give him a lot of “credit” for that war), or one or more of the other authors credited (I can’t tell precisely who wrote the quote below). By using the phrase, “News from the Mainland,” Rostow et al. seem to be quoting a Kuomintang publication:

Free China Review, a monthly founded in 1951 and published in Taiwan by the Nationalists. Strongly anti-Communist. Runs occasional articles on mainland China and regularly carries a section on “News from the Mainland,” which contains quotations from the press with comments.

–Walt W. Rostow, Richard W. Hatch, Frank A. Kierman, Jr., and Alexander Eckstein, Prospects for Communist China (1954) The Prospects For Communist China : W. W. Rostow : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive

But for me, the topper is that apparently in some circles Japan seems to be considered “part of China” (by the earlier-mentioned reasoning–and if so, they don’t call China the Middle Kingdom for nothing):

中国本土貿易不振の原因中国本土. . . .

Ajia mondai (1953–the publication year given may be wrong) https://goo.gl/G2QYz6

西ドイツの中国本土向け輸出を一九六〇年一—九月問についてみると、前年同期より一
〇^ …

United Nations. Economic Commission for Asia and the Far East, Ajia keizai nenpō (1961) https://goo.gl/iaqDnt

(Again, just kidding.)

2 Likes

In New Zealand we call Australia the West Island.

Hope that helps.

New Zealand : sheep = Australia : ________?

Answer: women.

Kangaroo?

1 Like

Sheeple :sunglasses:

To be fair our sheep are a tad sexier than Aussie sheilas.

Shh! Don’t tell @IbisWtf, or he’ll start getting ideas:zipper_mouth_face:

Not going to read through 88 posts, so I’ll assume we’re talking about sex with sheeps, goats etc.
While we may not agree with such a habit, it’s part of the lifestyle in many middle Eastern countries, therefore criticizing sex with sheeple, goats and livestock in general is a distinctive sign of homophobic nazi Trump supporters.