Making Canadians

Do you have to get the passport first? Couldn’t you just get the Canadian certificate?

No, you don’t have to. But you can get the passport in a couple of weeks. The certificate of Canadian citizenship takes anywhere from half a year to a year.

No, you don’t have to. But you can get the passport in a couple of weeks. The certificate of Canadian citizenship takes anywhere from half a year to a year.[/quote]

I’m just thinking that by the time he goes to Canada he’ll probably need a new passport even if I get one now…so no point in doing added paperwork if I don’t need to.

But I hear you should get the Canadian certificate ASAP, because if you wait too long they grow suspicious. A friend of mine waited until his daughter was 2…and they told him that he waited too long and are demanding all sorts of extra proof/paper work.

No, you don’t have to. But you can get the passport in a couple of weeks. The certificate of Canadian citizenship takes anywhere from half a year to a year.[/quote]

I’m just thinking that by the time he goes to Canada he’ll probably need a new passport even if I get one now…so no point in doing added paperwork if I don’t need to.

But I hear you should get the Canadian certificate ASAP, because if you wait too long they grow suspicious. A friend of mine waited until his daughter was 2…and they told him that he waited too long and are demanding all sorts of extra proof/paper work.[/quote]
The passport they issue is a temporary one - it’s valid for a year. When you get the certificate of Canadian citizenship, you bring in the passport and they extend it to a normal five year passport. I applied for both her passport and her Canadian Citizenship at the same time. Why make two trips?

[quote=“Maoman”]
The passport they issue is a temporary one - it’s valid for a year. When you get the certificate of Canadian citizenship, you bring in the passport and they extend it to a normal five year passport. I applied for both her passport and her Canadian Citizenship at the same time. Why make two trips?[/quote]

Yeah, that’s what I did, it was like one of the first years they were doing the citizenship card, but I don’t recall it taking that long to get?
It’s been a while, I may be mis-remembering.

If your child is under three years of age then the passport is only good for three years. After this, then you get the five year passport.

That’s because only humans can enter contract. A human cannot enter contract on another human’s behalf.

In the U.K. we practice against the law which is to ambiguously sign over humans (rather, “people”)as property to the government by way of birth certificate which is why some claim to get away with acts against statutes (not law) as they claim to have never entered contract with the government by their own hand.

Congratulations. Your child is now the property of the Canadian government.

Um, no.

“No” to what?

I No to your “No”

No infinity! aha! :laughing:

[quote=“urodacus”][quote=“Lord Lucan”]

if I was going to have kids, I would go home first so they would not be taiwanese. save many problems later…[/quote][/quote]

Much better to have two passports instead of only one. If I have another child…I’ll make sure I’m overseas somewhere so that he’ll be Canadian plus whatever country I’m in.

[quote=“Mordeth”]

But I hear you should get the Canadian certificate ASAP, because if you wait too long they grow suspicious. A friend of mine waited until his daughter was 2…and they told him that he waited too long and are demanding all sorts of extra proof/paper work.[/quote]

Things may have changed but I waited until my daughter was three (in 2006) and it went off without a hitch.

[quote=“navillus”][quote=“Mordeth”]

Things may have changed but I waited until my daughter was three (in 2006) and it went off without a hitch.[/quote]

Things have changed. And there’s a new law which is probably covered in another thread. That if your Taiwan born child has a child in Taiwan…then that child is in no way shape or form…Canadian. He has to apply for citizenship just like any other Taiwanese person.

I think you’ve misunderstood that law. (It’s been covered elsewhere.)

Question to those who went to apply for your kids’ Canadian citizenship certificate and passport at the same. I was filling out the application form for the passport application but noticed a problem. In section 4 of the form it asks you to write down your child’s citizenship certificate number, but of course he/she has not been given one yet. So how does it work. Do the people at the Canadian Trade Office in Taipei let you leave it blank? Or is this something new, where we will need to wait for the citizenship certificate to be approved first before we can apply for the passport. Thanks for any replies in advance.

I was just looking at the TECO site and Mordeth is rigth it seems. This is posted there now…

NOTE: Passport applications for children over 2 years of age who still do not yet have proof of Canadian Citizenship will be considered on a case by case basis, with no guarantee of service.

[quote=“Maoman”]1. Dim the lights and turn on the music. Barry White is good, but YMMV.
2. :exclamation: :howyoudoin:
3. Wait nine months.
4. Once bun is out of oven, get an English Birth Certificate from the hospital.
5. Go to the Canadian Trade Office in Taipei. Their address is 365 Fuxing North Road, 13F, Taipei, and their telephone number is . They’re open from 9:00 to 11:30 M-F. They’re right across from the Zhongshan Middle School MRT Station. At the Canadian Trade Office pick up a Child Passport Application (for Canadians under 16 years of age) and an application for Canadian Citizenship Certificate. The passport will be issued before the citizenship is ready, so it’s just a 1 year, non-renewable passport. The passport takes 15 working days to process, and the citizenship takes up to 13 months, although they say recently many applications have been processed in as little as 6 to 7 months.
6.For the child’s passport application you will need to fill out the pertinent details on the application form, and you will also have to have a guarantor - someone “who can confirm the child’s identity and has knowledge of the child.” The guarantor must perform Free of Charge the following two tasks:
a)Certify the information on the application form
b)Write on the back of ONE of the child’s photos, "I certify this to be a true likeness of (child’s name), and sign.
The guarantor must:
be available to Passport Canada for verification;
have known you (the applicant) personally for at least TWO years,
have known you and the child well enough to be confident that the statements you have made in the application form are true;
live within the district of the passport issuing office;
sign the "Declaration of Guarantor section on the application form;
sign the statement on the back of ONE of the photos; and
be included in ONE of the following groups:

• dentist, medical doctor
    -judge, magistrate, police officer
    -mayor
    -notary public
    -practising lawyer, notary
    -signing officer of a bank

If you have not known an eligible guarantor for at least two years, you must complete a “Declaration in Lieu of Guarantor” form PPT 132, available from any passport issuing office.This form must be completed at your expense before a person authorized by law to administer an oath or solemn affirmation. This may delay the issuing time of the passport, and I got the impression that they really don’t like having to go this route, so try to find a guarantor.

1. The child’s passport application also requires two photos, 50 mm wide and 70 mm long. The length from chin to crown of head must be 31 to 36 mm. The child’s Canadian Citizenship Certificate application also requires 2 photos, but they have to be 35 mm wide and 53 mm long. The length from chin to crown of head must be 25 to 35 mm, with a plain white signature strip (no more than 10mm and no less than 6mm deep) at the bottom of the photo. I recommend going to the Shiwei photo studio around the corner from the Canadian Trade Office, as they’re very familiar with the exact specifications required for each application. Their address is 113 Minquan East Road, Section 3, Taipei. Their telephone number is .

2. For the child’s Canadian Citizenship Certificate application you should also provide:
    -both parents’ passports
    -proof of the Canadian parent(s)’ citizenship ie: a Canadian birth certificate or a Canadian Citizenship Certificate. They have to see ORIGINAL documents, photocopies will not be accepted.
    -the original marriage certificate of the child’s parents, if available.
    -the child’s original, official, birth certificate, which shows the child’s personal birth details and indicates the full names of the natural parents. If this document is not in English or French, you have to arrange to have the certifcate translated by a licensed or notarized translator before it will be accepted by the Registrar of Canadian Citizenship for processing.

3. The current cost of a one year passport for a child is $600NT, and the Canadian Citizenship Certificate is $2200 NT.
    10.It’s also required to bring the baby there in person so that they can verify that she is the child in the photographs.

:canada: :canada: :canada: :canada: :canada: :canada: :canada: :canada: :canada: :canada: :canada: :canada: :canada: :canada: :canada: :canada: :canada:[/quote]

Has there been any changes in this procedure since this was posted?

I believe the “guarantor” aspect has now been discontinued (I say this because in Canada I qualify as one, but I believe that authority no longer exists).

Further - can anyone provide any input about having a Taiwanese wife acquire a Canadian passport? Can this be done with both of us living/working in Taiwan?

I’m a born-in-Canada Canadian.

[quote=“14_of_spades”]Has there been any changes in this procedure since this was posted?

I believe the “guarantor” aspect has now been discontinued (I say this because in Canada I qualify as one, but I believe that authority no longer exists).[/quote]
When I applied for a passport for my younger daughter (born 6 months ago), it was still required.

I would think they will never give up that silly guarantor requirement as it’s both a solid cash cow and a pointless complicated hurdle.
As for having a Taiwanese wife get a Canadian passport, I would imagine she would need to become a citizen first.

As for having a Taiwanese wife get a Canadian passport, I would imagine she would need to become a citizen first.

Yes I think you are right.

My understanding is that cannot be done with us both living/working in Taiwan? She would have to reside in Canada for 3 years or something? Is this true?

We just got back from applying for the citizenship certificate and a passport for our new daughter. They have a new rule concerning the passports. If you want to apply for a passport at the same time as the citizenship certificate, or apply for a passport before the citizenship certificate arrives, you need to have a plane ticket to show that you plan on travelling. As far as I understand this only concerns newborns who have not had a passport yet.

We didn’t have this so they wouldn’t allow us to apply for the passport. I complained about this rule and asked for an explanation of the point behind the new rule but no one really knew. I was told that Passport Canada made this a rule in February but they didn’t know the reason behind it. I can’t fathom the reasoning behind the rule and it just seems silly to me.

I complained that since I was leaving in the middle of the summer and the new airline prices are not out yet, the airline will not issue a ticket until the new prices are set. They said that I could use a flight intinerary to prove that I’m using the passport for travel. I told them I could give them the dates of my flight right now but they insisted that the details had to come from a travel agent. The staff was helpful but it basically came down to “Passport Canada made this rule and there is nothing we can do about it.” They did allow me to submit the forms and photos along with the fee and they will hold on to it until I email them my flight itinerary. Once they receive this they will process my daughter’s passport as long as the flight itinerary is accepted.

Anyway, it seems like Canada has come up with another stupid rule to make getting passports more difficult.

We also stopped to apply for my daughter’s Taiwanese passport and it was extremely easy. There were no questions about where are we going, or what are we going to use it for. We showed them her birth certificate and they processed the application. It took about five minutes once we got to the counter.