Man dies in correctional custody

The worst part is that it isn’t even a smartphone to begin with. What they showed on the news was an MP3 -imagine someone still has that! not even an iPod!- and a Nokia “indestructible” model, you remember those, the 2G ones?

If Hung had seen something he shouldn’t, you’d understand why they killed him -a la Lafayette case- but just to “kill a chicken to scare a monkey”, as what they are saying, it’s outrageous, disgusting and totally despicable. They killed him because they could. How many Hungs are there that we do not know about? In that case, it is a military culture problem.

Several issues have come out to light from people who have done their service, like people who are fit and capable have a tougher time, people who have higher degrees are treated like manure. With that kind of feedback, how can they expect to build a competent voluntary army? I mean, as the green party guy said, how can mothers even allow their children to go serve the country under these circumstances? Dear ROC Army: Giving in to China, you’re doing it well.

The sadists need to be brought to trial and punished extremely severely.

the cell we are talking about

It’s on a hill top exposed to sun light, painted black with tiny windows, and there’s no fan or air-condition, and Hung was in there for 3 days, denied water.

I think the guy challenged his superiors too much and went a bit overboard believing that he was going to be discharged soon and that he could not get punished in time. Read he tore apart the medical exam report which really pissed the guys off, making them determined to teach him a lesson. Don’t think they wanted to kill him at first, probably wanted him to remember it for the rest of his life and didn’t know when to stop. They are obviously humans of the worst kind and should be punished severely.

On the other hand, what was he thinking? Not blaming the victim here, but this is the army. As a recruit you don’t get cocky and challenge your superiors, especially not at the end of your term when you should know what kind of people they are.

I am shit scared after this news. Not looking forward to getting drafted at all.

Just keep a low profile and don’t try to challenge the superior… it is military after all.

Otherwise is there any way you can get the alternative service instead?

[quote=“Taiwan Luthiers”]Just keep a low profile and don’t try to challenge the superior… it is military after all.

Otherwise is there any way you can get the alternative service instead?[/quote]

Are you referring to the Ti-Da-Yi? Yes, I think I’m going to get on that one (Sual nationality + Foreign undergrad degree). If so…should I still be worried about these sorts of things?

I think alternative service is better because you’re mostly doing civil service such as directing traffic, helping the police with paperwork and stuff, government offices, etc. and I think you get to go home like you’re working normal jobs.

if you lived abroad for a long time, getting drafted is a recipe for getting picked on and learning “lessons.”

In Taiwan, it’s often those who have trouble excelling at tests that ends up joining the voluntary military. They are the counter part of the worst kinds of US high school jocks, only now they are given absolute power over drafted recruits. It’s basically a sociopath’s paradise.

unless the structure of military recruits change, the army will always be filled with these people.

Then don’t get drafted. You have dual nationality, after all.

As for the topic: I’d say this guy was murdered, even if his tormentors didn’t mean for him to actually die.

OK, this may be British language bias, but doesn’t murder require intent to kill (“malice aforethought”)? It sounds like what happened was manslaughter; i.e. unintentional killing. It’s an important distinction, and one Taiwan also has in law, I believe. It sounds like his superiors are criminally culpable (from the media reports, for what they’re worth) and a decent case could be made for manslaughter against at least one of his commanding officers. But separating “intent to punish/harm/torture” from “intent to kill” sounds like it would be difficult in this case without an express statement by one of the perpetrators to the effect that he intended the treatment to kill Hung.

[quote=“Poagao”]
As for the topic: I’d say this guy was murdered, even if his tormentors didn’t mean for him to actually die.[/quote]

Agreed. I say murder. It’s worse than manslaughter because it’s more than accidentally killing someone, they were knowingly torturing him all in some sick power play.

I hope this haunts them for the rest of their lives.

Can we call it hazing?

[quote=“hs172”][quote=“Taiwan Luthiers”]Just keep a low profile and don’t try to challenge the superior… it is military after all.

Otherwise is there any way you can get the alternative service instead?[/quote]

Are you referring to the Ti-Da-Yi? Yes, I think I’m going to get on that one (Sual nationality + Foreign undergrad degree). If so…should I still be worried about these sorts of things?[/quote]

Yes. My second brother started to have “troubles”, after he received a letter from my Dad from US.
My oldest brother had to find a high ranking friend to call in and “check” on my second brother. After the phone call no more problems.

You have to start looking for connections in the military and have the person check in on you when time comes.

I guess I was lucky that my dad was a high ranking officer in the military, so he can “check in” if necessary.