Man forcibly thrown off United Flight (with Video)

Well, basically he just won the JACKPOT
:happyrunningaround::notworthy::runaway::rofl::grandpa::happyrunningaround:

A couple was labeled disruptive and pulled out of their flight. Why? Someone else was sleeping on their seats, and so they sat elsewhere. When the flight attendant asked them to go back to their seats, they told her someone else had taken them. She woke the guy up, they trie dto go back to their assigned seats but then they were informed they were given the boot.

Americans are struggling because they havenā€™t realized yet that since the Patriot Act superseded the Bill of Rights itā€™s better now to seek permission than it is to seek forgiveness. Combine that with Jothamā€™s recommendation that one should avoid projecting an air of having rights when in the U.S. because itā€™s like waving a red flag and things should go smoothly. I know Iā€™ve learned to keep my head down, avoid eye contact, do exactly what Iā€™m told and I never have any trouble.

The pilot writes an opinion piece. He explains that it is just freaky circumstances that they needed to transport four staff after boarding passengers and that everyone was following policy. Still I think if people are thinking on their feet, solutions can be thought through in 10 or 15 minutes. Anyhow, he puts the blame on police!

Interestingly, he says this:

The good doctorā€™s resistance could have been interpreted as noncompliance with a crew member, which is a federal matter, but that would have been a stretch. If the noncompliance card were played, though, then it would have been a simple matter of threatening Dao with his arrest.

So what does he mean by this, the police could threaten Dao with arrest, but not actually do it? Why would your policy, why would you call police unless you have a problem you canā€™t handle? What would it say of the police if they whined, we threatened to arrest him, but it didnā€™t work? And youā€™re left at square one again.

There are many reasons for this freaky incident, but the ultimate reason is the guy is a fruitcake. There wouldnā€™t be 1 in 1000 people who are so passive, so childish as to allow themselves to be dragged out by police for any reason, and especially just because cams and witnesses are watching and so you can get a settlement out of it. This is not how Americans solve problems.

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/04/19/opinions/united-fiasco-context-opinion-abend/index.html?iid=ob_lockedrail_bottomlist

youā€™re right, thats clearly the problemā€¦he is a fruit cake. Way to break it down for us so us slow folks can understand that went wrong.

1. What exactly do you mean by ā€œfruitcakeā€, and how is the passengerā€™s alleged fruitcakiness the ultimate reason for the incident?
  2. It sounds like now youā€™re calling him a coward for not having a fistfight with the police. How is this compatible with the tremendeously respectful deference you believe he owes the officers (even if they were out of their jurisdiction)?

About the ā€œrandomā€ selection process, it doesnā€™t look very random, but it may have been color-blind.

Everything about how each passenger bought their ticket is embedded in something known as the ā€œpassenger name record,ā€ says Mr. McGee, a former U.S. airline employee, former editor of Consumer Reportsā€™s airline-specific arm, and author of the 2012 airline industry exposĆ© Attention All Passengers. This information includes how much money went into the airlineā€™s coffers, as opposed to a travel agency or web hub, how often you book with the airline, and whether you generally book late, or on discounted fares. All this, he says, goes into determining who is asked to leave, and how much effort goes into getting you on another flight promptly. Though he says weā€™ll probably never know, the doctor in the video probably got a pretty good deal on his seat.

I never said it was random, earlier I said it was probably more based on frequent fliers. The Pilot said it is based on people who donā€™t have connecting flights as well, which makes sense.

The guy is a fruitcake for what I said, when a situation gets serious enough that officers are involved, most people you and I know will say, fine, Iā€™ll take it up in court and walk off, but no one is going to say no to an officer, and then when the officer begins to take you off, then allow yourself to be dragged. Thatā€™s a fruitcake or call it whatever you want.

If he had a fistfight with police, that would be stupid, and ultimately would turn opinion away from him rather than for him and not help him get a settlement. He allowed himself to be dragged because it gives the appearance of violence to someone who sees the snippet and unfamiliar with the whole of it, and I doubt it.

Please answer the question clearly.

Why do you use the word fruitcake?

Because itā€™s crazy and insane and he squealed. I would never do it because itā€™s crazy, saying no to an officer asking me to get off a plane and making him drag me off. Would you do it? Andrew said he would do it with cams and witnesses, but I doubt he would.

Thank you for clarifying your meaning.

For the last time, this was not overbooking. This was am anomally: bumping revenue passengers to make way for airline employees. That is totally uncalled for, unnecessary and as we saw, the cherry on top was that it was handed in the worst possible way.

An overbooking situation would and should have been handed before boarding. No cops normally necessary even if you leave revenue passengers on the ground. But that was not the situation. At the gate, you can assure the passenger with other travel arrangements. Pulling him, rather dragging him off the plane, aside from humiliating, is also problematic because the airline is denying all responsibility to you and using brute force instead of the many other tools available.

The guys that were on the plane were not real cops on that setting. They are cops for rent. They are off duty Chicago cops earning extra cash. You cannot tell that by their uniform but yes by their demeanor.

In an ideal America maybe. But considering how litigious America has become as a society, I donā€™t think this statement holds up. This actually is how a lot of Americans solve problems.

yes, thatā€™s what Iā€™m afraid of. I think Facebook has a lot to do with it, people are less inclined to be social, think of others, make way, defer, cope with reality, life, solve sticky problems by talking, etcā€¦

I see in the news that American Airlines was having trouble as a steward whacked a women with stroller, and a passenger takes things into his own hands and the steward is challenging him to a fight. This is perhaps a little foretaste of what happens when police canā€™t be invoked and some stewards take things in their hands and become violent and some passengers get even more would up and uptight as a result of the story.

I mean if it were me in the plane and I see police and things coming to a head, I would intervene and say to the police, hey, itā€™s okay, Iā€™ll just take his place (if I hadnā€™t already). Whatā€™s the big deal, all these people making videos thinking they got some hot footage they can post on their Facebook, draw attention while causing a ruckus, a sensation, and not one single soul willing to defer and give up a seat to deescalate things? ā€“ because weā€™re talking about human beings.

Well, itā€™s probably because itā€™s a smaller flight, where Iā€™ve never seen bumping ā€“ you have a bigger universe of people willing to defer on larger flights. But yeah, these stories make me think itā€™s not really the America Iā€™ve known.

This is what a society in the process of falling apart looks like.

I get the feeling that this one may have been due to not having enough overhead space or the stroller may have exceeded size requirements and the flight attendant asked her to check it in. Likely she refused, he grabbed it, a struggle ensued, and the woman got hit. Wonā€™t know since there is no video of that part.

Maybe we should all start wearing GoPros every time we board an aircraft now.

Thatā€™s why we need to control our borders and illegal immigration. Itā€™s affecting the atmosphere, when thereā€™s too many at once, they donā€™t assimilate.

Would this be considered newsworthy if the Dr. Dao scandal hadnā€™t happened? :rabbit2:

The most recent figures from the US Department of Transportation ā€“ dating from 2015 but released this February ā€“ show 35 animal deaths occurred during transit across 17 carriers in the US.

United accounted for 14 animal deaths in that period with a further nine reported injured among the nearly 100,000 animals carried by the company.

Edwards told the Sun: ā€œSomething very strange has happened and I want to know what. Iā€™ve sent rabbits all around the world and nothing like this has happened before. The client who bought Simon is very famous. Heā€™s upset.ā€

We have footage of a man on Delta, obviously having heard about Dao and inspired or otherwise influenced by him, obsessing over his rights as a passenger and refusing to get off the plane when asked. I was afraid such a situation would get to some peopleā€™s head and there would be no end to this.

Delta did a very clever thing, hats off to them. They made everyone get off the plane and then re-board again without the intransigent man. These time-wasting procedures have to be availed of when common sense ceases to prevail.

Probably could have worked with Dao too (as no one could have predicted he would squeal and force himself to be dragged). But then again, he might have just rushed back in again.

Iā€™m unclear about this. The man used the restroom as the plane was beginning to taxi on the runway to take off? If so, that is expressly forbidden, so a bit different than the Dao case. Should take care of that business before boarding. But it would be bad if they just let passengers refuse to comply; that invites disaster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7z1XH5L8Jx4

Commercial aviation in the U.S. began in the 1920ā€™s so anyone with a functioning intellect should be asking hirself by now why all these incidents suddenly in which passengers are being treated like inmates of airborne minimum security prisons. After all, off duty flight crews have been deadheading since the beginning and itā€™s not the first time a passenger has had to urgently use the bathroom while an aircraft was waiting on the tarmac. Why were airlines able to deal with these issues for nearly a hundred years before without resorting to such heavy handed tactics?

Well, that de-escalated quickly.

Dr. Daoā€™s case is settled, and it seems heā€™s not allowed to say how much he got.