Man forcibly thrown off United Flight (with Video)

Maybe they were just dragging him up to First Class for an upgrade? But seriously…it’s probably time for a boycott. UA needs to be taught that this isn’t an acceptable way to deal with paying passengers, and the only way they’re gonna get the message is if somebody kicks them in the bottom line. I definitely won’t be flying United this year.

I’ve been looking for some motivation to step up my exercise regimen. Being booked on a United Airlines flight for the near future will give me some extra incentive to strengthen up before the flight. :airplane:

According to Mr. Munoz, the CEO:

We sought volunteers and then followed our involuntary denial of boarding process (including offering up to $1,000 in compensation) and when we approached one of these passengers to explain apologetically that he was being denied boarding, he raised his voice and refused to comply with crew member instructions.

(boldface mine)

So it appears that after the customer was given permission to board, the airline denied him permission to board. It appears that, in effect, the airline denied him permission retroactively, or nunc pro tunc, or something.

2 Likes

Another reason not to fly on the piece of crap airline that is United.

I couldn’t believe it when these clowns bought out Continental. Then I flew United and saw what cheapskates they were and suddenly it made sense.

I looked at 14 CFR 250 (Part 250 of Title 14 of the Code of Federal Regulations) and couldn’t seem to find anything addressing the question of whether a person who is already seated can legally be denied boarding, but here’s a quote (from a Popular Mechanics article) that seems to address it, although it doesn’t cite a specific law or rule, so I can’t have complete confidence in it:

“The burning question is, why did they wait until everyone was seated before realizing they needed to move their employees to that flight?” Hobica asks. Most airlines avoid having to yank someone who has already settled in to their seat. Technically, that is still considered a “denied boarding” as long as the plane is still at the gate and is permissible under the law. Just try telling that to the court of public opinion, though, once the world has seen a video like this.

To me, that’s kind of messed up.

I read somewhere that 3 out of 4 picked were asian.

I know that the news got to China and people are in a uproar via weibo calling it racist and boycotting United.

But the more I look at this video the more ridiculous it is. They literally dragged the man off, not figuratively. Removing a person is one things, it’s another to drag a person after he busted his face on something on the floor out. They could’ve picked him up or something. This is no way for officers to treat a human being they are suppose to protect and serve. Horrible.

Yeah then they should boycott the whole of China since 4/4 human rights abuses are of Chinese citizens there.
I ignore everything that comes out of their mouths.

1 Like

I don’t disagree with you about CCP’s continues violation of human rights. But I would like for once that the US airline get hit hard in their pockets.

Here’s another horrifying thing, if the police dragged someone off…how did he manage to run all the way to the back of the plane after that…what if the person was a real actual threat?

1 Like

They probably figured out he wasn’t an actual threat but he was obviously difficult to handle.

They figured out he wasn’t a real threat? It took them until they dragged him off to realize this?

They probably either left him on the floor, figuring he was unconscious or they didn’t think he was a threat and just left him outside in the departure area, after which he bolted back on the plane.

I hope a real threat would have been handcuffed after being removed from the plane.

I mean, the point is that they take a lot of security measure of preventing someone from just doing just that. It’s not like he just walked a couple feet. He had to get all the way to back to the gate, the whole hallway that is connecting to the door of the plane from the gate entrance and than all the way to what looks like the back of the plane…That’s quite a distance for someone to get to. Especially getting his face busted up.

I’m not surprised at this kind of behavior US is full of it.

Yeah, it’s pretty hard to understand how he managed to get back on the plane again after being forcibly removed by the police. That’s a pretty major lapse in security. I’m sure would-be terrorists are watching this story closely. The airline, the police and airport security all have some awkward questions to answer. This whole incident is a shit show from start to finish.

From my last trip back to the US I’d knew how bad things have gotten. Usually my Asian American, or black friends are interested in life is in Taiwan. This time back my white friends were asking me about living here.

Guy is a doctor. His wife is a doctor. His 5 kids are doctors. :doh:

Pardon me for yelling stereotypical Asian.

Good thing United puts the hospital in hospitality.

2 Likes

Or: based on this rough deplaning, it tries to put recipients of its “hospitality” in the hospital.

Guy

1 Like