Man forcibly thrown off United Flight (with Video)

Wasn’t the first time . Even flying First Class doesn’t mean you are safe.

I am not going to book United EVER.

these twitter memes are funnny

Coming soon United Superior Class!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qB6uxOL6lkg

Asians go for the lowest price? I believe people in general go for the lowest price. You’re really going to intellectually defend racism huh. Well in my experience when I think of it it’s completely opposite. i grew up in predominantly white places in the US and in a wealthy family. So me and my family don’t really go for the lowest price. It would be my white friends that complain about spending money. Do I think white people are cheap? No. It’s just people’s financial situation. Even in taiwan. Most of my Asian friends have no issue popping 50 bottles of champagne a night while my white freinds need my help to get in clubs to not pay the entrance fee. Do I think white people are cheap? No again that’s their financial situation. Stop trying to intellectually try to justify your racism.

2 Likes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEevyPse3f8

Emirates is no friend of United. And this was a chance to rub it in for them.

Don’t remember Walmart customers being mostly Asian. Normal people would go for the cheaper deal for the same product/service when offered the choice, unless they are aware of a catch behind the price reduction.

3 Likes

Technically speaking, a low class tickets restricts your options for upgrade and puts you in danger of having to buy a whole new ticket if you choose -YOU, I emphasize- to change dates or pay heavy penalties for any changes in dates, for example. However, nowhere does it say that you may be the first one bumped. You as well as the passenger in Y class -highest in Economy if my memory serves right- have the same right to a meal, for example, and checked luggage. Of course, if overbooked, the Y will be upgraded to business class first, the lowest paying fare has little to none chance of an upgrade, even on an empty plane.

This PR disaster starts with lack of planning and ends in rampant abuse. Both stem from stupidity. I want to know if they were already using the jumpseats before they started bumping passengers. Moreoever, there were not only 4 low fare tickets on that plane. Too coincidental there were 3 Asians chosen. That many Asians on a single plane? Racism, if not a factor in picking, might have played a strong role in teh enforcers reaction.

Everyone loves a bargain. There are websites and apps set up to ferret out teh lowest fares possible. Everyone, Asian or not, like sto use them. That is on teh passengers’ side. using them and buying low fare is a right. The company should not put out what it does not want people to buy or penalize you for buying it.

On the company side there are far more software mistakes. Firts, whatever cause them to realize they required seats after boarding. Whatever schedule planner that forced them to make teh choice of crew over customers. These should be daily practicvally automated functions.

And mixing race and customer choice is a no no. Too many assumptions. It is bad enough that customer service in US is so warped by race already.

1 Like

Kudos to United Airlines and airport security. They have my support 100%. I do not want nutcases like this in the same plane as me. I don’t get States side often but when I do I’ll be sure to book United

New video shows before him being dragged off asking “why did they choose me” and saying “I payed for this” and “talk to my lawyer”.
The officer was caught saying “it’s going to get a lot worst for you” and yeah it did.

While UA continues to try to issue apologies after seeing the public outrage. I think they were expecting that people will forget about it soon. But unfortunately they made themselves the scape goat for all us airlines. People are sick of airline companies in the US for many of the reasons and UA just made themselves the target for everyone.

Airlines often overbook, but they usually offer pretty good vouchers to get people to volunteer. I’ve taken 800 to $1000 vouchers before during Christmas, and usually only means a delay of 8 hours. They even booked me in a nice first class hotel and gave me 1st class seat at times and I was in the air by 8am next morning.

And they only offered $400 voucher here I heard? It seems they didn’t exhaust their options. I hadn’t been following this incident too closely, so forgive me where my details are wrong.

Going to get expensive for UA, and deservedly so

Not sure I see your point. The race of people who shop at a store is mainly determined by the people in the surrounding areas

If I go to Wal-mart in Hispanic areas, I see mainly Hispanics. If I go to Wal-mart in white areas, I see mainly white people. If I go to Wal-mart in some Asian areas, I see mainly Asians. If I go to Wal-mart in a mixed area, I see different types of people.

lol the outrage from China! how many white doctors do they import who break the law and sell drugs for years?? what a joke.
He has a criminal record, was obviously being non compliant. GET HIM OFF THE PLANE FOR FUCK SAKES!

If I was a US citizen, I’d be really pissed with corpoprate behavior overall. You have the insurance and medical industries squeezing people into bankrupcy. You have banks and investment funds cheating people into bankrupcy. You have airlines and other services backed up by gorillas and stepping all over people’s rights. This is not a minority issue. It is a people vs. corporate greed issue. Ferengi would be apalled.

Walmart does a great service for the poor, bringing inflation down so that you get more bang for your buck, no matter what race.

I wish Taiwan had that, I hate the psychological mind games these supermarkets play on people competing with other grocers becoming experts at how to give discounts and take them away to manipulate people and get the best profit from it. Wal-mart takes out all that silliness.

He’s probably going to get some money, even if out of court, but does he have a legal case? [not wondering about moral and PR case, just legal]

1. He was thrown off a plane for no fault of his own by the airline and injured in the process.
  2. The videos show security personal trying to remove him, he resisted initially when grabbed (I don’t blame him), then was forced out of his seat at which point, his head hit an armrest.
  3. Flight was not overbooked, but need to make room for four airline employees [some reports say they weren’t even United Employees, but another airline]
  4. Coupled with the Patriot Act which allows people to get arrested for swearing at airline employees and this info

Few Protections to Avoid Getting Bumped From Overbooking – NBC New York)

“Airline contracts of carriage state that seats are not guaranteed, and are written for the airline’s convenience not the passengers,” George Hobica, founder and president of Airfarewatchdog.com, said of U.S. guidelines. “In this case the passenger had no ‘legal’ rights.”

"Travel lawyer Alexander Anolik wrote about involuntary removal for the American Bar Association in 2013 and said that passengers cannot sue an airline, but must rely on the Department of Transportation to enforce consumer protection regulations. "

"Anolik noted that the legality of overbooking flights was established by a U.S. Supreme Court case between Ralph Nader and Allegheny Airlines in 1976. From that case, it established “a precedent allowing them to overbook so long as they give passengers sufficient notice.”

does he actually have a legal case to sue in the USA?

Yeah, I understand all of that and agree, and it seems just as good as an overbooked situation. Did they offer no more than $400? I know airlines are having harder times these days, but seems they could have at least got a volunteer by upping the ante. That’s just the expense that sometimes goes with overbooking. Just like restaurants and grocery stores sometimes have to throw stuff out in order to ensure they never run out of stock (which they don’t do in Taiwan either). :wink:

A bunch of lawyers who specialize in this type of case seem to think he has.

Reports suggest they upped the ante to $800 in addition to the hotel and next day flight from the opening offer. Both the $400 and $800 offers appear to be in the form of vouchers which a lot of commentators indicate are not particularly useful and have a short shelf life, it certainly wasn’t a cash offer.

Why does he have to move? He did not throw a tantrum, new video shows him calming asking why was he picked when he already boarded and seated as a paying customer. The screaming started when they used force to drag him off. He’s like 69 years old, I’m guessing it’s a little bit scary when 3 large men start to use that much force that you hit your head and bleed like that. They did not give him a reasonable answer and pretty much threatened him that things will get bad for him if he doesn’t just comply. Maybe you should think about going over to China or North Korea since you think we all should just comply without considering our rights.

1 Like

Do airline passengers have rights in that situation? That is unclear. I would like to think airline passengers have legal rights, but it seems the airlines might be within their legal right to remove anybody for any reason. Stuff I’m reading indicates airlines can kick you off at their discretion. Your seat is not guaranteed.

It seems not only the magnetic compass has shifted towards Siberia.

He paid for the service to be transported from A to B.
He had a reservation, boarding card and he was sitting in his chair.
He left the airplane at location A with a bloody nose.

When I saw the video with those people sitting there like dumb sheep, I was laughing so hard that my kidneys started to hurt.

I am pretty sure that when I see someone dragging an unconscious person like this, I’d stand up and tell him to get his fucking hands of that person.
Also, why didn’t everyone leave the plane? With all those war hero, how come there is zero civil courage?