Man forcibly thrown off United Flight (with Video)

I’m no lawyer, but from what I understand they do under certain circumstances. It’s a question on weather if they can under this circumstance. It seems that most lawyers think that this is a breach of contract. They interpret the law as they can not let you board if they want to but must compensate you, but not after they let you board. I think thats the question, do they have the right to bump you and compensate you after they let you board and sit.

Get involved and get hurt, arrested, charged, or worse killed. The outrage from others in plane was loud and clear for all to hear on the videos. Watch them again.

Funny the outrage in China, they wouldn’t say a damn thing if that was white man being dragged out of plane in China!

I’m no lawyer, but from what I saw he did not do anything that justified a bloody nose.
If every time, you have a business dispute, someone gets a bloody nose, then what are contracts for?
He says, I don’t see why I should leave. They can point him to the line in their 100 pages regulation. Did they do that?

Banana republic

That’s how you see the world? You can’t stand up an say, this man is unconscious, stop dragging him, this can cause injuries worse to the one done already?

Like I said, zero civil courage!

Where is Roland with his guns? Everytime I want his opinions, he his hiding,

1 Like

Don’t fuck around on airplanes! As absurd as it is that he had to get off, you get off when you have escalated it to this point. Hello, have you not been following the news and state of the US over the last ten years?? Same as traffic stop in the US or whatever, don’t fuck around!!! “Yes sir, yes ma’am, ok sir, ok ma’am”

He was in Denmark, but soon left for Biafra. Someone saw him in Mombassa, it wasn’t Van Owen. They say you can still see him in his muzzle flash.

How is he fucking around? He was sitting there asking for an explanation of why he had to get off? Are you one of those he deserved to get shot in the back because he didn’t comply people? Or as I like to call them, Sheep.

I don’t know he looked a little nutso to me did you see that video? Was he high on some of that heroin he was caught selling before? I don’t care if it’s 100% wrong that United to asked people to get off a plane and I’m sure I’d be pissed off too. But I have the sense and sanity to know that a situation that’s escalated to this point…and here’s the key points ON A PLANE…IN THE US…should be deescalated FAST! I don’t want to sit on a plane with a 69 year who doesn’t have the self control to know this.

It’s hard to argue with some who argues that someone is in the wrong because he looks “nutso”. If you are saying he may have a mental illness or disability that’s something that’s a serious issue many people deal with and not for people to say he’s a nutso. I have nothing to say to you and immature stance on the whole thing.

I guess these Federal Regulations I referred to earlier don’t apply to this situation:

§ 250.2a Policy regarding denied boarding.
In the event of an oversold flight, every carrier shall ensure that the smallest practicable number of persons holding confirmed reserved space on that flight are denied boarding involuntarily.

(boldface added by me)

Here’s why the oversales regulations seem not to apply:

“They were considered ‘must-ride’ passengers,” [United spokesman Jonathan Guerin] said. “It was all about repositioning the crew.”

Guerin acknowledged the United initially categorized the flight as overbooked as news of the video grew, but is offering the “clarification” now that the company knows more facts about the incident.

1 Like

I have never heard a situation where they had to throw people off because they overbooked and no one was taking vouchers. Does this happen often? In this case, was it only one person they had to throw off? How many volunteers accepted vouchers before throwing people off?

As I recall, no one took the offer of 800$ in vouchers so they “randomly” selected 4 people, I use quotes on randomly because it is claimed 3 out of 4 were Asian, although I have yet to see proof of this. 3 people then left leaving just this guy.

1 Like

My guess, they opened the luggage department, threw 4 luggages out and then matched them to the customers.

The other way around would be more difficult. This would be random, by the way.

Exactly for that reason already, I’d stand up and demand to leave the plane as well in the hope more people follow.

I doubt the Asian discrimination angle.

Police brutality is just par for the course in the US. Hell the only time I was arrested in the US I was also assaulted by the cops. AFTER I was handcuffed and in the police car. They pepper sprayed my buddy till he was half blind then hosed him down for 5 minutes and then placed him a freezing cell…sick bastards. They then mysteriously managed to lose our arrest sheets
Looking back I was lucky they didn’t shoot me. Cops there get 3 or 6 months training then take a bunch of steroids and told take no prisoners. Don’t trust any of those fuckers.

Oh no, a failure of the free market! :runaway:

Actually, China publishes human rights reports on the USA to educate the world about the horrible oppression of all races in the Beautiful Country, everything from the likes of the Patriot Act to corporal punishment in schools. The reports just don’t get much attention in the media (even in China).

“They were considered ‘must-ride’ passengers,” [United spokesman Jonathan Guerin] said. “It was all about repositioning the crew.”

Guerin acknowledged the United initially categorized the flight as overbooked as news of the video grew, but is offering the “clarification” now that the company knows more facts about the incident.

Ok, this makes sense. I’ve only ever seen overbook on Christmas holidays only, never on regular days.

But I still find it unusual that they couldn’t get 4 people to accept a voucher. I always accepted them, not only because of free miles, but because I didn’t see 8 hours making a whole lot of difference to make a big deal of (as it’s only vacation for me) and defer to others who may have some urgent things to do.

But this is back in 1997 when they regular offered $800 and often have 3 or 4 takers, but today that should be more like $1400, they probably could have offered more. I just think people are getting so uptight these days, seems few people are willing to make concessions for others.

UA just created the perfect storm of a PR mess for themselves. People have been hating on airlines for a long time. They just made themselves the bad guys that stood for what everyone hated about airlines.

2 Likes

But what if the other flights had also been “overbooked”? :roll:

One of the security guards ­involved in the eviction has been placed on administrative leave for not following protocol and an ­investigation is pending.

Was that selection process also random? :ponder: