Maori news segment about finding roots in an Amis village

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNgyT1PJaic

Maybe there’s a video of the entire trip in English? It’s interesting that the Maori language didn’t go through palatalization from dental to fricative, but Amis (Pangcah) did.

3 Likes

https://youtu.be/jP_7uByD4yU?t=32m11s

A different finding roots TV program from New Zealand. The Taiwan part starts around 32 minutes.

2 Likes

Very cool. Need to check this out this weekend.

Cool videos.
Never knew Bunun had that style of dance .

Awesome videos! Thanks for posting!

Guy

Very interesting ! Thanks for sharing.

Reminds me of theories holding that some of the Indigenous of the Americas come from Taiwan. Very cool.

1 Like

Most Indigenous Americans aren’t from Taiwan, however, there are signs of per-columbian contact between Polynesians and the Americas.

2 Likes

The history of human migration to America is very unclear.

Evidence of pre-Columbian contact between Polynesians and the Americas includes spread of yam in Polynesia, and chicken in the Americas prior to the age of discovery.

Both the Mapuche and the Chumash peoples possibly have connections with Polynesians.

That video was pulled, with the excuse that “this video is not allowed to be showed outside of New Zealand,” so I just uploaded this report about the documentary that I archived in 2006.

Long may it live.

2 Likes

Seems like a follow up to the original story. This time it’s the Pangcah Amis that visits the Maori.

Found the next segment

4 Likes

Heading to Hualien this weekend for the Harvest Festival. This makes me look forward to going even more.

1 Like

We are also going to the festival next week.

1 Like

The one I’m going to ends on Sunday so it must be for different groups. I might be there just for Sunday, but the last night is always the best to me.

PLEASE share some photos, if you can. :pray:

2 Likes

Sure.

The one we are going to is the following weekend.

Perhaps they went all over north and South America ?

There’s a lot of history from the ancient world that preceded our history that we know zero about

Found more from the same series. The third one is about language preservation and fighting for rights, and it’s really relevant.