Map addicts!

Reply about Wushe and surrounding area here:
forumosa.com/3/viewtopic.php?p=133737#133737

From “Oud en Nieuw Oost Indien”, Five Vols., were published at Dordrecht and Amsterdam, in 1724-26

The Wu she monument is where Monalu Dao’s bones are kept. Unfortunately the KMT tried to use the incident as an anti-Japanese soap box to gain the trust of their “Mountain Compatriots”. Take the lower road to the back of the reservation to see the not so happy dancing aborigines. They are the real group that fought the japanese. The ones in the front of the reservation were Truku people moved in from the east. One woman near the enterance still has a facial tattoo, which she got in 1933 because it was coming back in fashion.

Maps? I encourage everyone knowledgeable about Taiwanese history and development to get a good map book and just read the place names. History becomes very clear on a map, but you need to have an informed imagination to really get it.

The lunatic asylum is over by Big Elephant Mountain, no?

I enjoy collecting military maps of all sorts. It is usually best to find a reputable dealer to insure you are really getting what you are paying for.

SJ:

Yes. Just to the south of the new underground section of Hsinyi Road at the foot of the mountain. I used to shoot baskets with the mental defectives back in '85. They let me go home after, though. :wink:

One thing people should be aware of when buying antique maps on Ebay, or anywhere else, is that many are torn from antique atlases and other books. For mass-produced atlases made after 1850, that may not be such a big deal. But for rarer or older editions, ripping a map from such a volume is contributing to the destruction of a work of art. Sometimes the owner of such an atlas decides to rip out all the maps, and sell the pieces for more than the atlas would sell for alone, but other times the pages are ripped out of library books. Read “The Island of Lost Maps” for more on the issues and personalities involved in the trade and aquisition of old maps.

Sorry, I’m bringing this thread back because this is worthy for map addicts…

http://www.davidrumsey.com/luna/servlet/RUMSEY~8~1

David Rumsey released thousands of old maps in high definition.

I mean look at Martin Behaim’s Erdapfel from 1492

http://www.davidrumsey.com/luna/servlet/detail/RUMSEY~8~1~291871~90063392:Composite--Robinson-Projection--Mar?sort=pub_list_no_initialsort%2Cpub_date%2Cpub_list_no%2Cseries_no

So awesome…

1 Like

Going through a small portion of the maps, and here’s a fun comparison:

1630’s Nova Totius Terrarum Orbis Geographica ac Hydrographica Tabula.
Published by Blaeu, Willem Janszoon.
Amsterdam

1632’s Orbis Terrae Novissima Descriptio.
Published by Le Clerc, Jean
Paris

1636’s Typus orbis terrarum.
Published by Apud Joannem Janssonium
Amsterdam

1688’s Composite: Unprojected (Geographic) 24 Gores and 2 Calottes, Terrestrial Globe
By Coronelli, Vincenzo, Accademia Cosmografica degli Argonauti,
Venice

Even though the VOC was already established in Taiwan by 1624, maps of Taiwan by the Dutch was still pretty crappy. Knowledge of the island seems to differ from cartographer to cartographer.

Oddly enough, the map from Venice is incredibly accurate… Well… Hualian became its own island, but close enough. At least better than plenty of maps from the 1800s.

1 Like

Backup link

2 Likes

This map has to be made around the 1930s? Probably prior to the Kristallnacht even?

For Monaco, it’s just a soldier with a dice for face.

1 Like

I think the post said 1932.

My favourite is the squatting bald woman (presumably) in Sweden. And the Native American in Ulster

2 Likes