Married in US, Move to Taiwan

I’m new to this but figured I’d give it a shot before I start calling and emailing government with no response (been there done that). So here’s my info:

I’m a US citizen. I got married in the US to a Taiwanese citizen who came over on the fiance visa. My husband has his green card. We have a baby. We are looking to move to Taiwan permanently.

Which Visa(s) will me and our baby need? Also will my husband forfeit his US citizenship?

Thanks in advance!!

As to your last question: Your husband does not have U.S. citizenship (he only has a green card). If he moves to Taiwan permanently, then he will lose the green card, too. A foreign citizen with a green card can travel, but failure to maintain residence in the U.S., or staying outside the U.S. for more than six months to a year, will invalidate the green card.

If U.S. citizenship is important to your husband then you should stay in the U.S. long enough to get him citizenship. (On the other hand, he might not want to be subject to FATCA banking and tax requirements.)

I can’t answer what you need from the Taiwan government. You will find lots of advice from searching these forums.

Right, I know he isn’t a citizen yet. I just didn’t know if he left with his conditional green card if he’d still be able to have US citizenship in the future if we decided to return to the US.

Thanks.

On the other hand, anyone who has ever had a Green Card, and not formally turned it in / renounced, is a “US Person” who is liable for taxes on his worldwide income.

Your baby can get a Taiwanese citizenship without losing US citizenship, if you want. If not, can get a resident visa based on the relationship to your husband.

You can get a resident visa based on your marriage to a Taiwanese citizen at TECO in US, then convert it to ARC (alien resident certificate) in Taiwan. After 3 years you can go into the process of naturalization if you are willing to give up your US citizenship. Otherwise, after 5 years you can get APRC (alien permanent residence certificate), which allow you to be in Taiwan independently from your husband.

They have to file their taxes, and for most people if done right the tax bill will be 0.