Massive Japan Quake, Tsunami Warning (Mar. 11)

8.8 up north.

[quote=“BBC”]Japan hit by massive earthquake

A powerful earthquake has struck off Japan’s north-eastern coast, shaking buildings in Tokyo and forcing people out of their homes, witnesses said.

Japan issued its most serious tsunami warning, saying a wave as high as 6m (20ft) could strike the coast near Miyagi prefecture.

US officials said the 8.8-magnitude quake struck about 250 miles (400km) from Tokyo at a depth of 20 miles.

TV pictures showed a wave crashing into the Pacific coast.

The surge of water carried cars and ships as it surged through a coastal town.[/quote]

[color=#008000]3/11 Mod note: added " Tsunami Warning for Taiwan!" to title. – DB
3/17 Mod note: added date to title. --DB
[/color]

8.8 ! holy tolody , good that it was centered deep and at least some distance from Tokyo (although 250 miles is not a lot), but thank God it was deep. IF it was a shallow quake, it could have been the Big One Tokyo has been waiting for.

Damn.

[quote=“Japan Times”]Powerful quake rock northern Japan
Kyodo News
A powerful earthquake with a magnitude of 7.9 rocked northeastern Japan on Friday, measuring the highest level intensity of 7 [color=#0000FF]on the Japanese seismic scale[/color], in Miyagi Prefecture, the Japan Meteorological Agency said.

Local police said many people were injured in the 2:46 p.m. quake, with reports of fires coming not only from the prefectural capital of Sendai but also from Tokyo, some 300 kilometers from Sendai, where a prolonged and powerful temblor was also felt.

The Metropolitan Police Department said many people were injured when part of the Kudan Kaikan hall in Chiyoda Ward in central Tokyo collapsed.

The agency issued a rare warning of huge tsunami for the Pacific coastal region including Iwate Prefecture. Public broadcaster NHK said a large number of cars were washed away into the sea when a tsunami hit the Kamaishi port in Iwate Prefecture.

In Kyodo News’ Sendai office, part of the ceiling collapsed and bookshelves and office equipment toppled over.

Fires occurred across a wide area, including at an ironworks in Chiba Prefecture.

Onagawa nuclear power plant in Miyagi Prefecture automatically halted operations following the quake. Its operator, Tohoku Electric Power Co., was checking whether any damage was caused.

A major blackout occurred across a wide area of northeastern Japan.

The quake affected the nation’s key transportation systems, including Narita airport, which shut its runways for safety checks.[/quote]

english.aljazeera.net/watch_now/

upgraded to 8.8 ?

Haneda and Narita closed?

edit: funny i rarely dream of quakes but last nite I had a dream of a Big Quake.

Tsunami could hit north taiwan. Stay away from beach areas guys.

Massive “Great Quake” status.

Just upgraded to an 8.9

Tsunami will hit Taiwan @9:30 GMT

Just insane pictures of devastation on the TV now.

CNN Live Pictures of the Tsunami are just amazing.

yeah I just turned CNN on… unbelievable

Both airports closed. Phone lines down.

Hope family and friends are safe.

Icon - Hanneda (sp?) just re-opened 2 runways.

A 7.1 just hit off shore of Japan.

Japanese (in english) tsunami info…with pics

jma.go.jp/en/tsunami/

jma.go.jp/en/quake/

Just watched tsunami roll in in Japan…holy crap…

wonder what the tsunami height will be when it gets to taiwan. Any warnings issued yet by CWB?

stay away from the beaches ! I suppose if you go to tamshui you should be able to see something.

Expected to arrive to Hualien/East coast at 5:30 pm aprox.

Height maybe 3 meters. Japan hit by 4 to 7 meters high.

[quote]時間點可能在傍晚五、六點左右,影響範圍包括:花蓮、台東、基隆以及台北。
[/quote]
tw.news.yahoo.com/article/url/d/ … 2nvat.html

stay away from the beaches, he says- I live on the beach!

Thanks for the arrival time, I couldn’t find that anywhere. I’ll be poised with my camera ready!

Understand much of SENDAI airport is under water, including the runway. Reports of up to 10 meter wave

[quote=“NonTocareLeTete”]stay away from the beaches, he says- I live on the beach!

Thanks for the arrival time, I couldn’t find that anywhere. I’ll be poised with my camera ready![/quote]

… from the safety of a nearby mountain and wide angle lenses. 5 to 6 expected.

And that’s Taipei, Danshui, Hualien, Taidong, Keelung… all keep an eye out.