McDonald's Gay Coming Out Commercial. Good or Bad?

Just saw this commercial and couldn’t decide. Is this commercial a good one or a bad one?

Btw. I haven’t stepped into a McDonald’s for like I can’t remember. Is the coffee potable?

I heard of the commercial, but I had never watched it until now.

Damn that’s powerful.

I’m a little confused as to why McDonald’s had to use this theme though?

its better than the shite they serve at Starbucks and half the price.

[quote=“ranlee”]I heard of the commercial, but I had never watched it until now.

Damn that’s powerful.

I’m a little confused as to why McDonald’s had to use this theme though?[/quote]

I agree, it’s powerful.

I am kind of torn about if it’s right to use this topic to promote fast food, too.

But, a well-made ad it is. One you’ll remember. So, good job by the producer, I would say.

Good short story, good acting, very understated and powerful. I’m still not eating that muck.

Why would it be wrong? It seems pretty cheesy to me, but that’s advertising I guess.

I approve the message, so I think it was a good commercial. The first time that I happened to see it on youtube I thought:“Why would they go to McDonald for this…”, then I realized it was a commercial.
Regarding their coffee: I prefer the stuff from Family Mart, but since I’m not a huge coffe drinker I’ll get a 20nt large cup of cold green tea over 35+nt small coffe, anytime.

Most likely because they have a couple of well-paid psychologists on their advertising team advising them to use completely irrelevant but emotionally-charged topics in commercials so that viewers associate a strong emotional response with the McDonald’s product. It’s been their modus operandi for several years now. It works.

[quote=“Tempo Gain”][quote=“hannes”]

I am kind of torn about if it’s right to use this topic to promote fast food, too.

[/quote]

Why would it be wrong? It seems pretty cheesy to me, but that’s advertising I guess.[/quote]

Yeah, it’s advertising. Nothing wrong with it. Wouldn’t be wrong to make a video of a man proposing to his girlfriend in the same setting, right?

So what is the message of the ad, I wonder.

“McCafe, the place to go, if you have something very important to say.”

“McCafe gives you the courage”

“McCafe, a place of understanding and love”

“McCafe (McDonald’s) is progressive, understanding, open-minded, embracing…”

i was expecting the dad to write ^也

[quote]I was expecting the dad to write ^也
[/quote]yup, that was my reaction too :slight_smile:

[quote=“finley”][quote]I was expecting the dad to write ^也
[/quote]yup, that was my reaction too :slight_smile:[/quote]

Hahahaha, that just made my day.

I expect a local Youtuber to make a parody soon.

[quote=“finley”][quote]I was expecting the dad to write ^也

Yeah, totally.

Slogan: ‘McDonald’s: say it with witnesses and CCTV’.

Now that would have been awesome :slight_smile:

Bad. Because it makes me think “Yay McDonald’s!” and now I want to go and eat there, and that’s not something my body needs.

Good job McDonald’s.

The well-paid psychologists on their advertising team finley is referring to expected you to expect that. :wink:

Money can buy good ads, but that does not necessarily mean that the product is good too.

i’ve never seen one that empty.

[quote=“ranlee”][quote=“finley”][quote]I was expecting the dad to write ^也

Hahahaha, that just made my day.

I expect a local Youtuber to make a parody soon.[/quote]
They already did lol.

ha ha

Btw, watching it again, there is something odd about the father leaving the table WITH THE COFFEE. Doesn’t make sense to me. Where is he going? Outside? To the toilet? To the counter to get a refill? Why would he take the coffee with him? Is the coffee THAT important? Has he heard his son coming out of the closet multiple times before and now he is thinking “Here we go again…, I go back to the office and drink my coffee there”. It would make more sense if he goes and leaves the coffee on the table. And then he comes back and gets the coffee, cause he realizes he’s forgot the coffee and that coffee is really good, so he’s not going to leave his coffee there. Screw his son, coffee more important. :stuck_out_tongue:

To their credit, McDonald’s apparently uses (or at least sells) Imei milk. That’s the best I can say about the “food” they sell.

Nice commercial though.

Guy