Medical Examination

Can anyone tell me what the medical examination will test for?

I take a couple different medications, one for depression and one for anxiety, and I am wondering if this will be an issue with regards to the medical screening?

Thanks!

They don’t care about legitimate medications for things like anxiety. I think the rationale of the examination is simply to prevent people with medical conditions that are very expensive to treat, like HIV, getting access to the health insurance system, because after you get a work permit and an ARC you can get a National Health Insurance card. During the medical examination they take a blood sample to test for such diseases, and the results from the blood test only indicate whether or not you tested negative or positive for HIV and the like (I can’t remember the others . . . Hep C? :aiyo: Ebola? :boo-hoo: ). They also do height, weight, blood pressure, eyesight, and a chest x-ray.

If you are in Taipei I recommend going to Renai Hospital (Address: 台北市大安區仁愛路四段10號) because they are used to processing lots of English teachers (all I needed to do the first time I went was stick my big nose in the front door and look lost). They do medical examinations Mon-Friday, unlike some of the smaller hospitals. Just don’t go there when they break for lunch.

They actually now are not legally allowed to test for HIV.

1 Like

[quote=“antarcticbeech”]They don’t care about legitimate medications for things like anxiety. I think the rationale of the examination is simply to prevent people with medical conditions that are very expensive to treat, like HIV, getting access to the health insurance system, because after you get a work permit and an ARC you can get a National Health Insurance card. During the medical examination they take a blood sample to test for such diseases, and the results from the blood test only indicate whether or not you tested negative or positive for HIV and the like (I can’t remember the others . . . Hep C? :aiyo: Ebola? :boo-hoo: ). They also do height, weight, blood pressure, eyesight, and a chest x-ray.

If you are in Taipei I recommend going to Renai Hospital (Address: 台北市大安區仁愛路四段10號) because they are used to processing lots of English teachers (all I needed to do the first time I went was stick my big nose in the front door and look lost). They do medical examinations Mon-Friday, unlike some of the smaller hospitals. Just don’t go there when they break for lunch.[/quote]

It has nothing to do with access to the NHI. Certain occupations, typically teachers, are required to take health tests so as to avoid passing anything nasty to students.

It kind of is. They pregnancy test women.

I have always thought a general medical exam is a good practice - common sense, even. So, this was interesting to read:

It seems to make sense that there are certain lifestyle diseases that are more easily controlled when detected earlier than later, like hyptertension and certain forms of cancer.

Where I work, the company pays for the basic exam, and we are given a choice of certain optional exams that the company is willing to pay for as well. The give and take is privacy - the company gets a copy of the results! I have heard that may actually be illegal, but again seems reasonable since they are footing the bill of an exam I would likely skip or put off.

Oh, I didn’t realize. They used to. I do the medical examination every year but don’t read through the results anymore.

Yeah, for stuff like syphilis that makes sense. :astonished: But I just went and downloaded the form and read that:

[quote]1. The Government of Republic of China (Taiwan) has revised its laws to lift restrictions on entry, stay and residence of non-ROC nationals infected with human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) in addition to removing this item from health examination.
2. The Government of Republic of China (Taiwan) does not offer subsidies to non-ROC nationals infected with HIV infection for treatment in Taiwan. The annual treatment costs for HIV is NTD$300,000 (approximately USD$10,000). It is strongly advised that non-ROC nationals to undergo HIV screening in their homeland prior to visiting Taiwan in order to understand their own health conditions. Persons infected with HIV are strongly advised to stay in their homeland for treatment. Persons intending to work in Taiwan are advised to purchase medical health insurance in advance to avoid financial burdens.
3. Upon entry into the Republic of China (Taiwan), foreigners may undergo HIV screening at a hospital to determine their infection status. The consultation hotline for infectious diseases is 0800-001922. [/quote]

Which indicates that the former practice of screening for HIV had everything to do with access to the NHI, financial burdens and annual costs. Non-ROC nationals still cannot receive NHI subsidized treatment for HIV.

2 Likes

Oh, I didn’t realize. They used to. I do the medical examination every year but don’t read through the results anymore.

Yeah, for stuff like syphilis that makes sense. :astonished: But I just went and downloaded the form and read that:

[quote]1. The Government of Republic of China (Taiwan) has revised its laws to lift restrictions on entry, stay and residence of non-ROC nationals infected with human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) in addition to removing this item from health examination.
2. The Government of Republic of China (Taiwan) does not offer subsidies to non-ROC nationals infected with HIV infection for treatment in Taiwan. The annual treatment costs for HIV is NTD$300,000 (approximately USD$10,000). It is strongly advised that non-ROC nationals to undergo HIV screening in their homeland prior to visiting Taiwan in order to understand their own health conditions. Persons infected with HIV are strongly advised to stay in their homeland for treatment. Persons intending to work in Taiwan are advised to purchase medical health insurance in advance to avoid financial burdens.
3. Upon entry into the Republic of China (Taiwan), foreigners may undergo HIV screening at a hospital to determine their infection status. The consultation hotline for infectious diseases is 0800-001922. [/quote]

Which indicates that the former practice of screening for HIV had everything to do with access to the NHI, financial burdens and annual costs. Non-ROC nationals still cannot receive NHI subsidized treatment for HIV.[/quote]

In the past no one with HIV was covered under NHI, foreigner or Taiwanese alike. The NT$300,000 was a special government subsidy outside of the NHI system. From early last year the rules changed, foreigners are no longer deported and HIV treatment is covered by NHI.

Hi boomblaster1984,

I also take a medication for anxiety. Was this an issue for you during the medical exam? Were they able to pick this up in any of the testing (urine/blood)?

Thanks

They can pick it up if they really wanted to, but they don’t test for it from what I understand.

Resurrecting this thread… university teachers, do you get this medical exam every year? I got one when I first arrived and now the school is recommending that I go through the exam again. I asked if it was really necessary and one answer I got was that I might as well get it since it is free. I’m still not clear if it is mandatory or not. The test did not seem particularly informative last time I did it and I’m also a little wary of getting unnecessary chest x-rays done. I also read an article somewhere about privacy concerns which I can relate to since I saw my medical forms being passed around work study students and the department secretary before they got to me.