Mexican food in Hsinchu?

I searched but did not find any information. Does anyone know if there is a good mexican restaurant in Hsinchu. One of my friends say there used to be a Mexican restaurant there before but its closed now. Is there another one? Prefer a website or phone number so I can confirm they’re still open.

Well, it’s not a restaurant, but there’s a nice little place called Taco House near the Hsinchu train station where they serve burritos, tacos, quesadillas, and nachos. All sold from the back of a truck. No place to sit, but there is a 7-11 a few feet away where you can sit inside, eat your meal and watch the language school crowd go by. I had a taco, burrito, and a bowl of nachos the other night for under $200 N.T.

Taco House is located on Dong Men St., #36, extremely close to the Global Village Language Center and the post office (Dongmen Branch). If you arrive by train, walk down Min Dzu Road, then turn right on Dong Men Road.

They’re open Monday to Saturday from 4 to 9:30 p.m. Contact them at 0937-995-100 or 0982-871-388.

And if you can read Chinese, here’s an article in Chinese about Taco House from a May 2009 issue of Liberty Times:

http://www.libertytimes.com.tw/2009/new/may/30/today-north10.htm

Also, I found a Youtube clip of the two sisters who run Taco House:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQ-F8GSCpMc

This is an really old thread, but just want give it an update for those in Hsinchu. Taco House now is a store and have a couple of tables for you to sit down.

Went to it last night because I’ve been craving Mexican food. The burrito bowl is great. Salsa is great too but no salsa bar. It’s not as great as Baja Fresh or La Salsa (guess now they are the same thing) or Wahoos. But, It’s definitely way better than Taco Bell that’s for sure.

There are two new mexican joints, well, at least two places that serve tacos and barritos, that I found on google maps last night. I’ll be trying them out soon. Has anyone tried them already?

El Mundo

Grillzila American Grill

I tried both Grillzila and El mundo, as well as GB Brewery last weekend.

Grillzila has burritos, taco rice, and taco salad, they are all pretty good. The price is decent as well. The only downside is that there is a slight wait time, since there is only one guy making the food, and he isn’t as fast at wrapping burritos as those kids in a food truck back in California. Also, the burrito is cold. Some places have burritos with warm rice and fresh grilled meat, this isn’t one of those.

El mundo only offers tacos on the weekends. To my surprise, they have fish tacos. On weekdays they have taco rice, and several bento boxes with stewed meat. I only tried the tacos, 2 fish tacos for 150. Not exactly a cheap food option in Taiwan, but you would pay pretty much the same for 2 fish tacos at Rubio’s. It comes with soft corn shells, and I have to say, I’ll probably be back here every weekend.

Finally, there’s GB brwery, which my friend upon hearing my quest to find fish tacos in Hsinchu mentioned GB might have them on their menu.

https://g.page/gba_zhubei?share

Well, they do.

They come with flour shell and taste almost exactly like what you’d get at Rubio’s. Well, the flavor is the closest to Rubio’s but the fish is of a higher quality. I think it might even be beer battered. I would actually have it every week too, except for the fact that one taco costs 150. If you get 3, it’s 120 per taco. So it’s around twice the price than El Mundo. The plus side is the plus is a huge American styled bar and restaurant, so if you have a large group of friends, it’s a very comfortable place to hang out.

Anyway, if you are in the Hsinchu area, you might want to check these places out.

1 Like