Mexican Independence Day

I am a Houston native married to a Mexican-American who is looking for any type of event for Mexican Independence day (on September 15/16th US CST/GMT-5) in Taipei. I’ve looked at both Eddy’s Cantina and the Mexican “consulate” and it seems like the only Mexican holiday celebrated here is Cinco de Mayo (great for Americans or Mexicans from Puebla, but inconsequential to people actually from the other 30 states of Mexico.)

Does anyone know of a place in Taipei where one can actually celebrate the Grito de Dolores or am I on my own?

1 Like

One hopes any folks you may have at home are safe and sound.:crossed_fingers:

ETA: Ooops, I guess this better belongs here

The Mexican quasi embassy throws a mean party every year.

Eddie, Pachuco, Teotihuacan and others seem to have activities around that date.

Check, even Día de los Muertos is celebrated.

1 Like

Thanks! I actually have a buddy in the Mexican foreign service so I’ll ask him about the event at the quasi-embassy.

Thank you so much for your kind words. My parents, in-laws, and dogs are still in Houston and they came through the storm amazingly well. Everyone is safe and sound and starting the long process of remediation.

No hay por donde.

Eddie is bringing a mariachi!!:banana:

Saturday 16th, at Eddie’s Tianmu 1 and 2

Glad to hear your friends/family are ok!

IMO the solution is to create an event! Choose a free public location like a park, and invite everyone! If you make it family friendly, like an afternoon at a park, people will be more likely to attend, and perhaps it will grow into an annual event. Over time, it can be moved to organized venues with vendors etc. Contact the Mex. office here, and maybe they could help.

But even if you set it up as something small, e.g. at Dahu park in Neihu or DaAn park, and just ask people to bring their lunches and flags to say hi, it should be fun! Aim for Sat. 16 and we’ll try to join.

I’ve been teaching my son Martín about el Grito, obviously Hidalgo but also Doña Josefa Ortiz de Domínguez and so on, and it would be nice to have some local events to tie into.

From Eddie’s FB page:

Mexican Independence Day is here again and it’s a Saturday!
So we are bringing in our world Famous Mariachi Juan! We will be starting the night early at Eddy’s 1 at around 6 pm for some eats and Mariachi music! Then we are all gonna parade across tian-mu to Eddy’s to plug our Mariachi into the PA system for dancing and drinking! Faces will be painted red white and green! Also, due to popular demand, we are bringing back Eddy’s Famous Tamales! Carnitas Pork, Grandmas Chicken Picadillo, and even a vegan surprise flavor. Due to the amount of labor to handmake these tamales, I suggest you pre-order yours! Also, drink specials all night!
Viva Mexico! See you at the party!
P.S. Bring the kids! it’s gonna be great!
墨西哥獨立紀念日即將到來,艾迪將為您提供美食和音樂。
歡迎先至艾迪天母一店,傍晚6:00起,享受「Tamales墨西哥蒸粽」和「Mariachi墨西哥傳統歌樂」。接著,一路跟著樂手遊行至艾迪天母二店,歡唱跳舞,歡慶這個特別的日子。我們還提供臉部彩繪「�三色」的服務喔!

當天的「Tamales墨西哥蒸粽」由於純手工製作,數量有限,建議您優先預約登記,當天還有飲料優惠呢!
註明:帶著您家的小朋友一起來玩,這是絕佳的家庭派對活動呦!

Mexican Independence Day at Eddy’s 1 and 2! 墨西哥獨立紀念日

Sat September 16 6PM · Eddy’s Cantina Tianmu 2 艾迪墨西哥餐廳天母二店