Michelle Yeoh: starship captain in Star Trek Discovery

Face it they needed a Chinese Asian face so they pick Michelle

Not a total hater of Enterprise, every series had its horrendous episodes. Itā€™s just sad to see Enterprise didnā€™t find itā€™s groove until it was already too late. They wanted it to stay away from being too serialized, and viewers have just move too far away from TOS era to enjoy a slew of random Trip Tucker having a baby in his arm storiesā€¦

At least she is a captain this time. Linda Park is an amazing actress but since her show decided to be ā€œless cerebralā€, they had very little use for her character. When she was finally given a chance in the Mirror Universe episode she was totally awesome.

Unfortunately, I have another bone to pickā€¦

Michelle Yeohā€™s character, Philippa Georgiou is the Captain of the Shenzhou.

For a while I couldnā€™t figure out what Shenzhou is supposed to be, but got really annoyed when I finally think I figured it outā€¦ USS Shenzhou likely stands for ē„žå·ž, an old artistic name for China.

Am I the only one who think having Michelle Yeohā€™s character be the Captain of USS China too on the nose? I know they are trying to get the Chinese market, but come on.

At least when Sulu got to be a captain, he was the captain of USS Excelsior, they werenā€™t brain dead enough to just slap USS Yamato on him.

Not a hater really, just find the lack of imagination frigging annoying.

1 Like

yeah, thatā€™s a bit of a facepalm. Nothing wrong with having a foreign-sounding name for the ship, but putting an ethnically-matched face on the bridge looks a bit silly. The didnā€™t put Jean-Luc Picard in charge of the USS Grenouille, did they.

The answer is actually simpler, but possibly more annoying. Shenzhou is the name of the PRCā€™s manned space program, as well as the spacecraft that actually put PRC astronauts into orbit. The missions so far have been named Shenzhou 1 though 11. These days, Hollywood is all about the pandering.

1 Like

I would prefer them to be pandering to the Russians and putting a strong Putin-like captain in charge surrounded by vodka-swilling female lieutenants in 60s style miniskirts. To appeal to the politically correct crowd maybe a gay Klingon or a transgender Vulcan.

2 Likes

I thought Gowron is a transgender Klingon. Heā€™s got both body parts, just that one is on his forehead.

If you read David Gerroldā€™s account of how he wrote The Trouble with Tribbles, he tells that Chekovā€™s character came as a result of complaints. Since the Russians wer already in te space race at that time when the series was filmed, how come there were no Russians on board the Enterprise? So, the writers decided that, yeah, oh hell yeah, they were putting a Russian butā€¦ the joke was on them. They made Chekov fiercely Russian. Whatever the topic, whatever it was, the Russians had done it first and better.

Think about the Chinese now saying stuff like they discovered America, invented the wheel and other niceties.

1 Like

Star Trek: Discovery is showing on MOD 384 Blue Ant Entertainment nightly at 945pm.

2 Likes