Minimum monthly pay for sponsoring a teaching ARC? Also, combining hours from two locations?

I thought it was already covered that the 47K/mo number was for full time 40hr/wk office jobs and the 14 hr/wk teaching positions had a lower number around 33K/mo. I am absolutely certain that 14 hrs is the minimum req’d numbers of hours to get an ARC and that person would need to make 850 NT/hr to make 47K/mo.

I thought it was already covered that the 47K/mo number was for full time 40hr/wk office jobs and the 14 hr/wk teaching positions had a lower number around 33K/mo. I am absolutely certain that 14 hrs is the minimum req’d numbers of hours to get an ARC and that person would need to make 850 NT/hr to make 47K/mo.[/quote]

Sorry for any confusion over my earlier post. Let’s go over this again:

NT$47,971 a month, or NT$37,619 if you graduated from a Taiwan university, for most “white collar” jobs.
For teaching English in cram schools, at least 14 hours a month in one school, no more than 32 hours per week, no matter how many schools. At least NT$18,780 a month.

Greenrivergold, with your qualifications you can get a a better paid job no? Have you been looking in the Taipei area mainly? Have you had many interviews?

I thought it was already covered that the 47K/mo number was for full time 40hr/wk office jobs and the 14 hr/wk teaching positions had a lower number around 33K/mo. I am absolutely certain that 14 hrs is the minimum req’d numbers of hours to get an ARC and that person would need to make 850 NT/hr to make 47K/mo.[/quote]

Sorry for any confusion over my earlier post. Let’s go over this again:

NT$47,971 a month, or NT$37,619 if you graduated from a Taiwan university, for most “white collar” jobs.
For teaching English in cram schools, at least 14 hours a month in one school, no more than 32 hours per week, no matter how many schools. At least NT$18,780 a month.[/quote]

Ah, that does clear things up! Thank you for the solid numbers!

[quote=“housecat”]The problem the OP MAY be having with her state’s preliminary license is that each state DOES have an online database that administrators use to verify a teacher’s credentials before hiring him/her. If this preliminary license isn’t listed online, or if it indicates online that this license isn’t fully equal to a regular license, the Taiwanese here will suspect that it isn’t genuine. I’ve known lots of fully licensed teachers from the States who had trouble sometimes getting Taiwan to recognize their credentials because they didn’t look the same as some previously seen by the Taiwanese person in question. It’s really a wonky system here. I’m in Texas for now, for example, and Texas won’t recognize my Arkansas license. Here in Texas, they have their own way of doing things and there’s no reciprocity of teaching licenses between these two states.

If I were the OP, I’d personally walk the fact checker through the process of checking out my license. Each state can be different, and I did that for some myself, actually, with my own license.

And I’d read through and take GiT’s advice about going to local administration offices and looking for jobs directly. Usually, they’ll tell you that they can’t hire you because they’ve got a contract with a recruiter to provide teachers, but working with recruiters sucks for both you and for the school. You may have better luck going it alone and knocking on the right doors yourself.[/quote]

This is great information, thank you! I will have to keep things in mind regarding walking the fact checker through the process of license checking, that hadn’t even occurred to me as a hiccup. Ditto with going straight to local administration offices and looking for jobs directly.

I actually ended up walking away from the job offer in the initial post. When I talked with the contact person and asked for a work visa for each location, it came out that I could only get a work visa for one location because the other was functioning as a buxiban but registered as a kindergarten. After that I said: “Thank you, but I don’t think this can work out”. It was clear that they were not planning on telling me about the kindergarten registration of the second location, and that they were surprised that I had asked.

I’m definitely looking in the Taipei area, as I’m staying here for studying-related purposes, and I have had a decent number of interviews. Unfortunately, my timing was a little off in arriving to Taiwan (a month or so after the major hiring for the school year ended) and the jobs that I have been offered have required working illegally.

Forumosa has been a pretty fantastic resource, and I have to thank the community as a whole for being so great. I was simply not prepared for the way Taiwanese employers are willing to hire illegally, and without Forumosa, I would not have known the questions to ask to during interviews to determine the legality of each job.

Thank you, everyone! (: