MOD (Media On Demand)

So it should right next to Comedy Central? I was thinking next to Syfy Channel would be more relevant!

[quote=“Belgian Pie”][quote=“thesublimenakedfairy”]Just FYI about recording on MOD:
Your MOD box needs to be the third generation (Model 3XX series). The second generation does not support recording.
Secondly, you need to subscribe the recording service in the MOD menu screen. If you are currently subscribing the full MOD plan, the recording function will cost you only $49 per month.
Once both are done. connect an USB hard drive. Reboot the MOD box, then you should be able to recording. They said that you can
1. Recording instantly at any time.
2. Pre-defined schedule to record.
3. Recording channel A while watching channel B at the same time.[/quote]

And the HDD needs to be equal to or over 1,5 TB, download package ADSL+MOD 60MB … just called them and got that confirmed.
But really, what do some want to record? Sports? Stuff that airs simultaneously … That’s fine … all other is downloadeable from the internet and it’s not pirating as long as it is shown in Taiwan on MOD or on cable too. Just my opinion.[/quote]

Latest info:

99NT$/month extra
500G external HDD needed
60M connection

We just got the new smaller MOD box … no English menu found!

I just called yesterday to complain about the internet speed and I just asked if they had a new MOD box, they sent a guy over earlier this afternoon and no questions asked … the old one worked still perfectly.

If I am not planning to do any recording, is there any advantage to having the newer box?

I don’t record … image quality and probably power consumption is lower … looks, better and is smaller.

Can I password protect MOD to lock out the children from watching too much TV? It’s better than locking the thing up in a cupboard, I guess. I know I could probably find out myself, but I really don’t want to bother changing the language of the interface, if the answer is no.

Anyone know which manufacturer makes the MOD boxes (not the modem)? TIA.

Our first set top box for MOD was made by Zyxel, I think. I’ll check the current one.

I know that zyxel made the modem – did they also make the box?

Unihan (Pegatron) made the one I have here. Which is Asustek.

Thanks

I know that zyxel made the modem – did they also make the box?[/quote]

That’s wot I said. Set top box refers to the TV unit NOT the modem. I believe that’s the industry parlance for what you’re asking.

I was contacted by a Chunghwa rep about resigning a 2 year contract to get MOD for 100/month, normally 359/month, because it it is bundled with the 100M internet service. My Chinese is not very good but I think she said that they will be removing some channels and adding other channels but she didn’t know which channels. It is supposed to be announced in the December issue of the MOD Life guide that can be picked up at any Chunghwa store or on their website, and again it is in Chinese.

Does anyone know what are the changes with the channels? Thanks for any response.

[quote=“PapaAzucar”]I was contacted by a Zhonghua rep about resigning a 2 year contract to get MOD for 100/month, normally 359/month, because it it is bundled with the 100M internet service. My Chinese is not very good but I think she said that they will be removing some channels and adding other channels but she didn’t know which channels. It is supposed to be announced in the December issue of the MOD Life guide that can be picked up at any Zhonghua store or on their website, and again it is in Chinese.

Does anyone know what are the changes with the channels? Thanks for any response.[/quote]

It’s the time channel agents have to renegotiate their contracts with channel providers … CHT depends on what’s on offer, they are not a channel agent, they just buy from them. Australia Network (Australia) is already gone for a while. Some foreign channels can be next, and some local that don’t comply with the law.

And probably higher speeds give more HD channels.

I got a new Generation Box! And was able to switch it to ENGLISH Menus. All (at least the ones I had time to test) changed their names to English Names on the electronic program guide.
The western channels like Nickelodeon, National Geographic and others gave me the names of the programs in English! The non Western channels kept their program titles in Chinese though the English name of the Channel appears on the heading.

Preciously under the old box… the Channels that provided bi-lingual programming for the most part only had Chinese Program Titles on the Electronic Program Guide.

MOD is down since 10:30PM or so … tried several reboots and it gets stuck at Gateway …

I called it in this morning, they said the whole area is down, then they said maybe it’s me as I had it down an earlier than the others, they said thye will send a technician over to have a look … fact is it get stuck at loading the gateway! I can see it on my TV screen … loading until … Gateway … [color=#FF0000]失敗[/color]

It’s fixed after more than 13 hours down … maybe they were hacked?

Everything is ok over here. Earlier, this morning, when I first turned it on (BBC channel), I got a blue square that covered 3/4 of the screen over the program that was showing, with a message in it that the data format was incorrect – but it went away almost immediately, and everything was fine.

They called me and said they’ve had a fire in a server room … they apologized for the inconvenience.