MOD (Media On Demand)

[quote=“Dog’s_Breakfast”]I confess that I haven’t read through the whole 38 pages of this thread, so if this question was already answered, my apologies.

The question is: Can I block this pay-per-view stuff? We have a home stay, and we’re thinking about getting MOD, but I do NOT want my guests running up our bill with pay-per-view movies.

Thanks in advance.

DB[/quote]

If you want to rent a movie you need to input your pin code. So if your guests don’t have your pin code, they will not be able to rent a movie.

There isn’t a disk in the STBs. You buy one separately and plug it into the USB on the front. When you do, you should get prompted to format it and such, and then have local recording available.

[quote=“thesublimenakedfairy”][quote=“Dog’s_Breakfast”]I confess that I haven’t read through the whole 38 pages of this thread, so if this question was already answered, my apologies.

The question is: Can I block this pay-per-view stuff? We have a home stay, and we’re thinking about getting MOD, but I do NOT want my guests running up our bill with pay-per-view movies.

Thanks in advance.

DB[/quote]

If you want to rent a movie you need to input your pin code. So if your guests don’t have your pin code, they will not be able to rent a movie.[/quote]

Thank you. Crucial information for making our decision!

Just remember to change your pin code. i think the default is 1234 and a lot of people know that.

Again, useful advice and I’m grateful. :notworthy:

This afternoon I’m supposed to meet with the guy from Chunghwa Telecom (or rather, their privatized contractor since everything is now outsourced) to see about getting a line installed into the house. It requires digging up the street. Right now we don’t have a phone line, and above-ground phone poles aren’t allowed where we are. The same issue would apply to getting cable. Our only alternative is to go with a satellite dish, but that would be expensive.

Just FYI about recording on MOD:
Your MOD box needs to be the third generation (Model 3XX series). The second generation does not support recording.
Secondly, you need to subscribe the recording service in the MOD menu screen. If you are currently subscribing the full MOD plan, the recording function will cost you only $49 per month.
Once both are done. connect an USB hard drive. Reboot the MOD box, then you should be able to recording. They said that you can
1. Recording instantly at any time.
2. Pre-defined schedule to record.
3. Recording channel A while watching channel B at the same time.

49 per month? worth it? What is the format of the recorded movies?

[quote=“thesublimenakedfairy”]Just FYI about recording on MOD:
Your MOD box needs to be the third generation (Model 3XX series). The second generation does not support recording.
Secondly, you need to subscribe the recording service in the MOD menu screen. If you are currently subscribing the full MOD plan, the recording function will cost you only $49 per month.
Once both are done. connect an USB hard drive. Reboot the MOD box, then you should be able to recording. They said that you can
1. Recording instantly at any time.
2. Pre-defined schedule to record.
3. Recording channel A while watching channel B at the same time.[/quote]

And the HDD needs to be equal to or over 1,5 TB, download package ADSL+MOD 60MB … just called them and got that confirmed.
But really, what do some want to record? Sports? Stuff that airs simultaneously … That’s fine … all other is downloadeable from the internet and it’s not pirating as long as it is shown in Taiwan on MOD or on cable too. Just my opinion.

We have a 2xx MOD box, the Remote is equipped with a record button and the unit looks like it should record, worth trying?

Kenneth

Is it possible to get them to upgrade the box? Ours is the really old one with KTV mics coming out the front.

Do the newer boxes have the menus in English?

Also anyone found a way to upgrade the wireless router? Ours is rubbish, super slow wifi but can’t change it due to it needing the video over internet feature.

[quote=“aphasiac”]Is it possible to get them to upgrade the box? Ours is the really old one with KTV mics coming out the front.

Also anyone found a way to upgrade the wireless router? Ours is rubbish, super slow wifi but can’t change it due to it needing the video over internet feature.[/quote]

Just call them, they should come over with a new box. Menus are in English, program info not so much.

About the 2nd generation, I guess it does not have a USB port for a hard drive.

[quote=“aphasiac”]Is it possible to get them to upgrade the box? Ours is the really old one with KTV mics coming out the front.

Also anyone found a way to upgrade the wireless router? Ours is rubbish, super slow wifi but can’t change it due to it needing the video over internet feature.[/quote]

Drop it or set it on fire … than ask for a support engineer to come over to change them … I called to switch my remote ad it’s buttons started sticking … next day the guy wad there, solved. If you want an upgrade you have to get to their customer desks.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

[quote=“thesublimenakedfairy”][quote=“aphasiac”]Is it possible to get them to upgrade the box? Ours is the really old one with KTV mics coming out the front.

Just call them, they should come over with a new box. Menus are in English, program info not so much.

About the 2nd generation, I guess it does not have a USB port for a hard drive.[/quote]
I have a 2xx and it has two usb ports front and back … but never seen any recording option on the menu … it’s more to show some family pictures of a usb stick I think.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Again… what is the format of the recording ? Is it encrypted or is it portable and can it be played on different devices.

Mod formats your disk to JFS format, a Linux based type. Most set top boxes will do the same.
So no, you can’t read it unless your are running Linux. Coversion might be possible.

I noticed today through my wife’s playing with the box, that some live broadcasts TV channels (Ch. 55 and about half a dozen others) seem to have a program rewind / fast forward / pause feature that you can use if you miss the start of the programs, or want to see something earlier in the day. If you get CH228, you can play with it on an English-speaking channel.

I’m hoping that this is enabled system wide once the testing is finished! The channels it’s on are pretty minor channels… so it’s obvious that CHT is testing out the system.

Two news channels, one sports channel, one God channel… a couple of others, too; at the moment.

Have fun!

Been playing with the new remote functions on History HD channel. Works a treat. You can watch anything that’s been broadcast in the last 12?/24? hours from the beginning. The fast forward (skip ads function!) is okay, if slow.

Worth while

I couldn’t find them… where?

Rumor has it that ABC Network is disappearing soon due to Australian Budgetary changes. That’s channel 210 on MOD. Also, Al Jazzeerah Channel (Ch. 216?) will be removed. That’s a pity, too.

I enjoy the current news line up… so any weakening of the content makes me nervous. Will we go back to just watching one ‘shaky’ news channel in English? I hope not.

213 Bloomberg
214 DW
215 Vietnam TV
216 AJ
217 BBC (was for a while in HD!)
218 CNBC
219 EuroNews
220 DW English?
222 ChannelNewsAsia
223 Fox News
224 Sky News.
227 French News.

That’s a good selection. Would like more obviously. But I’ll work with 10 channels.

I usually forget Fox News is there, and it’s a delightful surprise whenever I stumble across it. I’ll get sucked in for hours. :smiley: 223 is a strange placement for Fox News. I guess it’s only a matter of time before it moves to 84 to join its partner on 83.