MOD (Media On Demand)

URGENT: Can I Lock Down MOD so kids can’t use any channel? Otherwise, TV may have to go.
I tried the parental lock and set it to G but I guess most of the television is unrated so the parental lock, I guess is ineffective. TV is so good yet, so bad… Otherwise, the anti TV camp in my family is going to win out and bye bye box.

[quote=“Taiwan_Student”]URGENT: Can I Lock Down MOD so kids can’t use any channel? Otherwise, TV may have to go.
I tried the parental lock and set it to G but I guess most of the television is unrated so the parental lock, I guess is ineffective. TV is so good yet, so bad… Otherwise, the anti TV camp in my family is going to win out and bye bye box.[/quote]
You could do what my parents did- tell the kids they are not allowed to touch the remote control ever, lol. If they do, take away (insert favorite game/toy/whatever). Put it somewhere high or lock it away after you pick the channel they can watch. Simple.

OK… two weeks with out TV set the kids straight :slight_smile: I actually got more work done… :slight_smile:
Question about the PVR. Does the PVR let you record a program while watching another? I’m thinking of getting that feature.
Is there anyway of jailbreaking the recordings? Though I guess I should not be talking about that.
Thanks.

[quote=“Taiwan_Student”]Question about the PVR. Does the PVR let you record a program while watching another? I’m thinking of getting that feature.
Thanks.[/quote]

As long as you have 2 tuners; 1 for the program you are recording and 1 for the program you are watching.

[quote=“Yang Gui Zi”][quote=“Taiwan_Student”]Question about the PVR. Does the PVR let you record a program while watching another? I’m thinking of getting that feature.
Thanks.[/quote]

As long as you have 2 tuners; 1 for the program you are recording and 1 for the program you are watching.[/quote]

Two tuners? You mean, MOD Box do you not. No, I don’t want two boxes. That would be an other rental fee. Isn’t MOD more like a computer than a tuner, downloading streams instead of radio frequencies?

You’d think they would al least build in that feature that would let you have at least one additional stream.

[quote=“Taiwan_Student”][quote=“Yang Gui Zi”][quote=“Taiwan_Student”]Question about the PVR. Does the PVR let you record a program while watching another? I’m thinking of getting that feature.
Thanks.[/quote]

As long as you have 2 tuners; 1 for the program you are recording and 1 for the program you are watching.[/quote]

Two tuners? You mean, MOD Box do you not. No, I don’t want two boxes. That would be an other rental fee. Isn’t MOD more like a computer than a tuner, downloading streams instead of radio frequencies?

You’d think they would al least build in that feature that would let you have at least one additional stream.[/quote]

You can record one and watch another. I’m not sure if you can record more than one and watch another, I’ve never tried. Adding the PVR feature is as simple as hooking up an external USB HDD and buying the feature through the remote. If I remember correctly, just trying to record something causes it to look for the HDD, ask you to add the feature (for a small fee), and then formats the drive…good to go.

I can confirm that MOD now has a very small last generation ‘MOD box’, something like 15cm square, and the menus can be changed to English, so no more guessing what you just did in Chinese. No more microphones on the front panel and I thought the card slot is gone too. It’s basically half size from what I have at home, which was already smaller than the previous first generation one.

[quote=“squall1”]

You can record one and watch another. I’m not sure if you can record more than one and watch another, I’ve never tried. Adding the PVR feature is as simple as hooking up an external USB HDD and buying the feature through the remote. If I remember correctly, just trying to record something causes it to look for the HDD, ask you to add the feature (for a small fee), and then formats the drive…good to go.[/quote]

This is exactly what I want to hear. Thanks.

These aren’t new, we’ve had ours for the past 1/2 year.

Be careful with the reset button on the front as kids have a tendency to press it just for fun.

Without having to read the 50 pages of comments, is there a quick link to find MOD providers and prices?

Thanks

[quote=“cyberguppy”]Without having to read the 50 pages of comments, is there a quick link to find MOD providers and prices?

Thanks[/quote]

Isn’t MOD only offered from Chunghwa?

I pay about 1000NT for the internet and cable (not really cable) together.

Visit your local Chunghua Telecom (中蕐電信) office and sign up. They have all the info there.

Noted! Thanks

I think netflix is coming or here already, would be much better than MOD. My MOD slows down the internet and a lot of shows repeat.

I have the MOD 1,300 packaged for 100M Internet and HD videos and channels.
It’s good for Chinese speakers and kids. They have bilinguals options for a lot of shows and Chinese subtitles.
I don’t know if it slows down the Internet or not. When I test the 100M o I only get about 40M but that might be a common occurrence. Decent selection of foreign channels.
The worst thing is it can be hard to find some movies and they seek to place randomly old and new movies at times together!

I can’t afford to quit my MOD they even gave us one 199 movie package. Our kids were naughty for a long time and we wanted to pull the TV plug altogether. It turned out that if we canceled MOD we’d be paying more for ADSL service acording to my wife. Or to put it more clearly, we were not paying that much for MOD since we had the best ADSL service.
New Question… MOD is offering 5.1 Sound? How do you get the 5.1 sound out of the box. I feed my TV with an HDMI cable and power my stereo speakers with the earphone out jack. The only other jacks on my MOD box is left/right audio output.

Also, the MOD box is asking me if I want to choose the stereo mix or 5.1 Mix under set audio. The default seems to be set to 5.1? Does it matter? Isn’t the 5.1 down mixed by default to stereo since I only have a stereo TV hooked up to the HDMI cable.

Looks like they pulled eurosport, ugh.

Sonet also provides MOD at cheaper rates than Zhonghua. They use Zhonghua lines. Any ideas about their quality?

I love my MOD, but that’s because I like the children and family channels the most. Here’s the channel list for Sonet.
so-net.net.tw/adsl/retention … e_mod.html
I though CHT was the only provider of MOD type services. I gues MOD means Media on Demand and I guess any company can provide it. I’d like to learn more too.

Help! What’s the default pin for MOD. I forgot. is it 1234 or 0000 both are not working. I don’t want to be on hold for 40 minutes only to find they don’t understand me.