Modding Advice

This issue has been called out by three or four different posters over the last week.

1 Like

Thereā€™s just too many personal attacks now. Too many guys coming here just to find things to argue about that detract from what the OP is asking or what the original thread is about. Guys doing more research than PHD thesis papers to pull out data and statistics to argue their hateful and ridiculous points that would normally be ridiculed in pretty much any situation but ok since they are anonymous here.

1 Like

Welcome to the internet, is it your first day here?

I mentioned this in a thread before (that @brianjones miraculously found and liked just as I typed those words) Personal attacks and users that are here solely to rile you up will always exist. Mods will do whatā€™s best to take action when it gets out of hand, but itā€™s up to YOU on whether how you want to react.

On splitting or moving threads, Iā€™ll come out and say that itā€™s impossible to make everyone happy, but please understand that mods will make decisions based on whatā€™s best for the entire community.

A lot of people use our forums as a resource and the last thing I would want to see as a new user on a ā€œHow to come to Taiwan on my husbandā€™s ARC as a dependentā€ thread is 30 responses that is just banter and have absolutely nothing to do with the topic. Yes, banter is fun and not like itā€™s against the rules, but sometimes it can get out of hand.

5 Likes

To quote the late great and lamented @almas_john, for a big guy you sure bruise easy.

Seriously, young fella, if the level of hatez on here is the worst Inskranet stinktalk youā€™re exposed to, jeez, you probably need better WiFi.
This is like Sunday School, thanks in no small part to the diligent (if somewhat random) modulizing.

Thereā€™s a difference between some 12 year old shit talking to me on my playstation vs a community forum thatā€™s intended to be helpful.

2 Likes

You are just ignoring the problem, thereā€™s been an uptick in spitefulness. I donā€™t think you want this to go back to the bad old days right?

You want people posting original interesting helpful content right? You want people to feel they arenā€™t wasting their time right?

I posted some major content on this site over the year. The air pollution threadā€¦That was me.
100s of posts. Thousands of views. Great content and top rated if searching Google Taiwan air pollution online
I can bring that to Facebook or my own blog.
I donā€™t need to post it here.

Some arsehoes coming in with their venom and bile does not contribute anything . Clicksā€¦?!? Seriously?

You know thereā€™s a big contingent of people out there who wonā€™t touch this site with a bargepole because of its reputation back then?

Itā€™s just going to create more work for you mods cos I for one am just going to call out that jackassery when I see it.

Or else Iā€™ll finally just skip off and spend more time on FB or my own blog or whatever.

Why would I bother creating new and researched content like my scooter thread recently.and post-it here if some jerk is going to come in with his pet hate in the middle of it?

2 Likes

@Rocket hereā€™s the thing that iā€™m not happy about with how things are becoming here. I can take a person talking shit to me before a sparring session, trash talking in a basketball game or on some public forums that are just that. But i always saw this as a community forum for people living in taiwan. I have met people on here, I know people on here personally. So when iā€™m getting people writing a novel, and I can forward that PM to you if you want to see that has dug up years of posts and info about me to bash me. And people coming at me and at my place of business, Iā€™m not cool with that anymore. I have made myself available for help for people on here, and other have helped me. So to see a couple of trolls come and ruin the whole vibe of a helpful community forum that has been helpful to me and others is upsetting.

3 Likes

Toe Save thinks being controversial by attacking each other will get more clicks.
Heā€™s wrong.

The site is for polite discussion, Iā€™ve noticed an uptick of new accounts being opened for the purposes of trolling. Once insults are being hurled whatever was being discussed goes off the rails and if that starts happening regularly its annoying for everyone.

We all prone to post emotionally on occasion or late at night, but opening an account with the sole purpose of trolling members of this forum is a lot more of a pain to deal with. I just check in from time to time, and the flags do help the mods see where something needs attention.

2 Likes

For me, forumosa has been a community. Some of you, I only know on here and get along. Iā€™ve had people iā€™ve met up with, iā€™ve had people iā€™ve PMed for help or helped. Last week, a nice lady gave me some face wash I canā€™t find here for free. Iā€™ve helped people on here personally with personal problems in person or through my posts or PM. I had people come workout with me and gave advice to free of charge when itā€™s normally 2200 for a hour to train with me but Iā€™m cool helping people out and give advice too.

I want members who actually help the community. And I know mods arenā€™t perfect and have their own lives. And there will always be trolls and hateful people. But itā€™s at a point where I feel like myself and others iā€™m sure donā€™t really want to contribute to the forumosa community. If this is just going to be some stupid forum about random stuff, fine. Thatā€™s what it is. But donā€™t expect helpful members who put themselves out there if thats what itā€™s going to be.

3 Likes

I think this is an interesting topic BJ and I do appreciate your posts generally

The first thing though would be to define ā€˜trollā€™

And then cut and paste some examples?

Personally, Iā€™m not above a bit of trolling now and then (if trolling means riling someone)

And I donā€™t mind being trolled. In fact it makes me very happy

For example, this by some guy in response to a post promoting a community protest activity against Miramar Resort

For me thatā€™s pure gold.

Youā€™ve got a topic that youā€™re trying to promote interest in - itā€™s going okay - everyone is nice and supportive - but itā€™s tapering off - and then some drongo wades in and gives it another life

Since when was a bit of conflict not a good ingredient in entertainment?

1 Like

Iā€™ve made my point. I hope the mods listen instead of saying itā€™s just the way it is.

Haha. Drongo. Was just introduced to those birds. New derogatory term for me :slight_smile:

Hereā€™s what happened in that thread:

• I made legitimate points
  • I got called disgusting, told I should be ashamed of myself, etc
  • I completely trounced them and destroyed any pseudo-argument people brought up.
  • When people responded with flat out insults like calling me a nazi, I (quite rightly) criticised their intellect.
  • When people failed to make points, and gave me nothing but one line quips and insults I spentā€¦ 10 minutes (Phd level work according to @Andrew0409) googling at work to find a reputable study that backed up what I was saying.

If you want me to play nice, you have to argue a real point - not just quips, one liners, accusations of nazism and emotional outbursts. If you post like children I will treat you like children.

Or the mods can just ban me I guess. Your call. If I got any warnings about what I said in that thread, Iā€™d probably leave. I did try and start another thread as I realised it had been hi-jacked, but mods felt it would be better to merge it back in.

2 Likes

Are you describing your own posts?

So many assholes in this thread. I say this as a product of a traditional Catholic nuclear family too. You know who you are. Judgemental arrogant fucks.

Far worse than anything Iā€™ve said.

[quote=ā€œmonkey_yuan, post:34, topic:161805, full:trueā€]
Or the mods can just ban me I guess. Your call. If I got any warnings about what I said in that thread, Iā€™d probably leave.[/quote]

Duly noted. :bowing:

I have noticed a few messages that were overly hostile recently. And perhaps some had trolling intentions. If somebody is messing a thread I understand that his messages should be removed and he perhaps temporarily banned if the situation persists. However, people tend a lot to call ā€œtrollā€ to anybody who expresses an opinion different from theirs. There are unpopular postures that get all criticism possible even when a point is made.

I think that only direct insults, spam, and not much more should be punished. Otherwise, who is going to say what is trolling and whatā€™s not, and why to ban someone? Way too subjective.

Iā€™ve been temporarily banned by @tempogain multiple times, and many of the times I didnā€™t agree, but some others I totally understood it (and I didnā€™t give much of a flying fuck TBH), and I donā€™t think that this site is especially permissive. I do see a spike of verbal violence, but not only coming from those you guys call ā€œtrollsā€, but also from offended users.

This is Internet, donā€™t get offended all the time, and donā€™t take too seriously othersā€™ opinionsā€¦ neither yours actually.

7 Likes

It seems like a lot of the time, the worst insults are coming from the offendees and not the offenders.

4 Likes

This is getting a bit out of hand. The purpose of the Feedback forum is not to call out individual posters, or even to give them backhanded complements. Contact a mod if you have a problem of that nature please. More general commentary on the site is welcome. I understand thatā€™s a fine line but I think itā€™s being crossed here.

1 Like

Why not if itā€™s related with a complaint about the forum?

Can we all relax, for fuckā€™s sake?

FUCKKKKKKKKKK
AAARRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG