Modern Taiwanese and Chinese Music news

I’m looking for informations about the modern music scene in China and Taiwan.
Do you know any blogs or websites in english that follows this ?
I am mostly looking for the indie / rock scene but would be interested as well in electronic or jazz or classical.
Thanks !

It appears i have posted by mistake in the wrong part of the forum.
Would it be possible for a mod to move it to “Arts & Entertainment” ?
Sorry about that…

done

[quote=“lemerou”]I’m looking for informations about the modern music scene in China and Taiwan.
Do you know any blogs or websites in english that follows this ?
I am mostly looking for the indie / rock scene but would be interested as well in electronic or jazz or classical.
Thanks ![/quote]

what kind of information are you looking for?

I don’t know what stuff Chinese people listens to, I can only recommend a couple of local musicians/bands.

the indie scene is really alive and well for the last couple of years. there are great works done by 宇宙人, 魏如萱, 盧廣仲, 白安, 張懸 and the likes. The trends is to write music closer to daily life, and mask the serious side of life in light hearted/sarcastic lyrics. They are taking over and becoming pop here in Taiwan. Along that line, the more pop star like singers are 嚴爵 and the likes.

The Taiwanese rock scene is slowly dying away under the massive shadow that is Mayday Rock (五月天). I love Mayday, they write amazing songs and lyrics, but it seems like as long as Mayday is around, there are no market left for any other rock band to break into being popular.

However, it doesn’t stop people from trying, and semi famous rock bands in recent years are 滅火器, 董事長, 閃靈 (metal), 神木與瞳,酷愛 and so on.

There are also a number of aboriginal bands, such as MATZKA (Reggae, awesome stuff), 圖騰 (broken up, some formed MATZKA, the lead singer Suming went solo, and makes great indie music).

if you want to get more indie/rock than the already relatively famous groups I recommended, check out this link:
roxyrocker.com/2013/06/21/%E … %E8%96%A6/

It’s in Chinese, but you can listen to the youtube videos of each bank.

you can check out this thread also:
forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtop … 2&t=131959

As far as China is concerned, nothing I’ve come across beats rockinchina.com/w/Main_Page

The Sound Stage channel on Youtube has lots of news too: youtube.com/user/NorthernCapital

For Taiwan, check out islandofsound.org/home.html (Hasn’t been updated in a long while, though.)

Hope that helps.

First of all, sorrry for the delay to answer.
I though i have subscribed to the thread to be notified about new answers but obviously i didn’t.

Well, mostly some news / critics about new albums coming out and stuff like that.
So i can get an idea about the scene and wich band i can try to listen to…
Maybe something like a chinese or taiwanese Pitchfork :slight_smile:

Great answers so far, thank you !
If anyone got more links, please keep them coming !

Lots of info at kkbox.com/tw/tc/index.html

Thanks Hokwongwei, will check it out !

No Party for Caodong (草東沒有派對) is a band on the verge of stardom. It’s loungey, disco sound is often interrupted by grunge like chorus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2311FZWoFQ

What would be the popular modern Taiwanese or Chinese rock bands nowadays (an update…since the original post in 2014)? I’m only familiar with Mayday and Chthonic…