MOE Huayu Enrichment Scholarship 2011-2012

I’ll be applying for the MOE Huayu Enrichment Scholarship this year, and since there isn’t a thread open yet for 2011-2012, I figured I’d start one for questions and hopefully some people who have gone through the process before can be of help to us newbies.

First question, I can’t seem to find the application for this year. The link on this page is for the 2010-2011 scholarship. Anyone have any idea when the new one will be posted, or if it already is, where?

Thanks, and good luck to all!

I depends on what country you’re from! You need to look up the TECO or equivalent (Taiwanese Embassy) for your country, and check their website for the application and the dates.

Thanks, but I’m still having a hard time finding it. The TECO site is a complete mess. I get search results for Ireland (I’m from the US), written in Dutch. It’s frustrating. I finally found a page that claims to have the 2011 application, but the attached PDF says it’s for 2010-2011. What’s more, the people at the Houston office (closest one to me) don’t seem to like answering the phone today.

It’s already out!

moetwdc.org/English/HES-Sterm.htm

You need to go to the Central TECO (so, for the US, you’d be looking at Washington DC) and then check out their ‘Cultural Division’. That’s who administers the scholarships.

Applications usually close end of March, but it changes with different countries. Good luck!

That’s the same link I posted. The application form there is for 2010-2011. This fall will begin the 2011-2012 school year. Or will the application still work? I’ll try calling again tomorrow to see what I can find out.

Hi ChineseQuest,

I am almost positive that it’s an oversight on their part. The link that you click on clearly states 2011 Application. The fact that it directs to the application that states 2010-11 doesn’t really mean much. Just my two cents though. A phone call would be good idea either way. Good luck!

Ok, thanks. I’ve just been through this whole process with a similar scholarship in the PRC. Fortunately Taiwan’s is less involved, but the PRC’s websites were much easier to navigate.

Yeah, I think what they did was just update the news post for 2010 with the 2011 stuff. I remember clicking into that link not too long ago and it all said 2010.

If you’re from the west coast, you’ll need to deal with the San Fransisco office (I think).

Thanks for the help, guys. I’ll still call to make sure, but it sounds like it’s just an oversight. I’ll post what I find out. Oh, and I don’t live anywhere near the west coast. I’m in Austin, TX.

I’m currently studying Chinese in taiwan and paying out of pocket. I noticed it says you cannot apply if you’re currently a student in Taiwan. I’m not going to study again after this term because I can’t afford it, but if I could get a scholarship I would. Does anyone know if I can apply? Seems like I’m in a catch 22.

A challenger appears! I’m in San Antonio.

Anyways, don’t bother calling for the next few days. Chinese New Years eve is tonight. They probably won’t be open for the next few days.

A challenger appears! I’m in San Antonio.

Anyways, don’t bother calling for the next few days. Chinese New Years eve is tonight. They probably won’t be open for the next few days.[/quote]
San Antonio?!! That is where I am from, though living in San Francisco now. Glad to see a fellow san antonian that is interested in Taiwan :slight_smile:

Good call. I wasn’t even thinking about them being closed for that. Oh well. I’ll enjoy the firecrackers and call next week.

Generally people who have studied at a language center in Taiwan aren’t eligible, but it changes year to year so have a look at the eligibility…

“Has never enrolled at any educational institution in Taiwan for the same level of degree or LEP that he/she plans to matriculate at”

I think this makes you safe for applying even though you have already taken classes, no? Just make sure you apply for the next level up instead of repeating the last one.

I’m currently already working in Taiwan, but I’d like to apply for the scholarship. I am having a terribly difficult time finding any information walking me through this process. My current ARC expires in September, which is the same time as the award period. Do I just plan on leaving the country and applying for a student visa in Hong Kong at that time if i’m accepted?

And, can I send my application somewhere here in Taiwan or do I need to fax it home and have a friend mail it somewhere there? If approved, do I get a round trip ticket from taiwan to the US and back to Taiwan since i’m here already? :slight_smile:

You can send the application from Taiwan, but the process and dates all depend on your country of citizenship.

I don’t believe that HES scholarship will acquire you any transportation costs. You need to send it to the Taiwan Embassy or Mission of the country/state you’re from. Since the selection process is within each Embassy or Mission.

Cheers from Sweden!