Mold - plausible reason to terminate contract without losing deposit?

Yes, the dreaded black toxic mold is slowly, but surely invading my space. :fume: The studio had no indication of mold anywhere when I first viewed it. I signed my contract for a year about two and a half months ago. After one heavy rainstorm, black patches that I later identified as black mold appeared near the entrance of my studio. I understand that mold can be caused by high humidity that can be lowered by a dehumidifier. However, the night that it was raining heavily, there was water leaking from the edge of the ceiling so this is not a problem I can resolve with a dehumidifier. I have contacted my landlord regarding this patch of black mold on January 7. She stated that she will have the roof repaired so that water will stop leaking in and she will paint that area of the wall to cover the mold when the weather improves. It has yet to happen.

Since that incident, I started to notice that certain areas of my studio, alongside the mold, has patches of the wall looking extremely blistered and/or has pieces of the wall and cotton-like substance (insulation, I guess) spilling out. As a result, I’m convinced it’s not the humidity of the air in my place causing this problem, but structural problems with the building leading to significant leakage causing mold growth within the wall that is surfacing on the wall. I’m extremely concerned about my health as mold is toxic and it seems to be pretty widespread around my tiny, not-well-ventilated studio. Even if she paints the wall and repairs the leakage, after this much exposure to moisture, how could the internal structure of the building not be compromised? I am confident I’m inhaling a lot of airborne mold as I type this and grow ever paranoid. :frowning: I’m holding my blanket to cover my mouth and nose as much as possible. I can’t live like this for 8 1/2 more months! :cry:

My question is whether or not I can terminate my contract without losing my deposit? :pray: Please advise. I welcome any suggestions, feedbacks, comments, etc at this point. Two cents, one cent, I take it all. Thanks in advance!

[quote=“conniebononie”]Yes, the dreaded black toxic mold is slowly, but surely invading my space. :fume: The studio had no indication of mold anywhere when I first viewed it. I signed my contract for a year about two and a half months ago. After one heavy rainstorm, black patches that I later identified as black mold appeared near the entrance of my studio. I understand that mold can be caused by high humidity that can be lowered by a dehumidifier. However, the night that it was raining heavily, there was water leaking from the edge of the ceiling so this is not a problem I can resolve with a dehumidifier. I have contacted my landlord regarding this patch of black mold on January 7. She stated that she will have the roof repaired so that water will stop leaking in and she will paint that area of the wall to cover the mold when the weather improves. It has yet to happen.

Since that incident, I started to notice that certain areas of my studio, alongside the mold, has patches of the wall looking extremely blistered and/or has pieces of the wall and cotton-like substance (insulation, I guess) spilling out. As a result, I’m convinced it’s not the humidity of the air in my place causing this problem, but structural problems with the building leading to significant leakage causing mold growth within the wall that is surfacing on the wall. I’m extremely concerned about my health as mold is toxic and it seems to be pretty widespread around my tiny, not-well-ventilated studio. Even if she paints the wall and repairs the leakage, after this much exposure to moisture, how could the internal structure of the building not be compromised? I am confident I’m inhaling a lot of airborne mold as I type this and grow ever paranoid. :frowning: I’m holding my blanket to cover my mouth and nose as much as possible. I can’t live like this for 8 1/2 more months! :cry:

My question is whether or not I can terminate my contract without losing my deposit? :pray: Please advise. I welcome any suggestions, feedbacks, comments, etc at this point. Two cents, one cent, I take it all. Thanks in advance![/quote]

Well, she’s already demonstrated to you that she won’t fix the problem. Unless the contract has a clause guaranteeing your apartment to be mold-free, I doubt you’ll get your deposit back. Mold is a common problem here, so be extra careful with choosing your next apartment.

To make matters worse, dear, I do not think that white substance is insulation -I have yet to see insulation in any apartment here. Building structure should be OKish, as it is mostly either bricks and mortar or plain ol’concrete and steel. Whatever pipes are leaking -one hopes it is clean water- that is another story…

Now, the health hazard of mold is not what you see, but what you do not see. The real deal is where you cannot see, and I would recommend to run an air purifier/dehumidifier 24/7 while you’re there.

I’d guess if push comes to shove, and you have a contract and such, you could ask for helop at a place like Tsui Mama -definetively a good choice next time, as if something of this sort happens again, they clear it up for you- or even a local intervention -having local friends talk to your landlady on your behalf. There could be a legal recourse of some sort, but not very likely. Yes, the damage of mold to helath is serious, but as stated, this problem is far too common to warrant teh real attention it deserves. In teh meantime, take pictures to document damage -she may counterattack saying you did the damage. And yes, do move teh earliest possible. Mold is worse in summer.

Your cotton like substance is saltpeter coming from the cement in the concrete, they don’t use insulation in Taiwan …

Handy if she wants to blow the place up in protest. :noway:

if she doesn’t fix it then it is plausible-not the mold but the structural damage.

1. document the damage-take pics/recording
  2. don’t pay rent until it’s fixed-you’ll see how fast it’s fixed
  3. if point 2 doesn’t work start looking for a place
  4. mold is your problem, structural damage is hers, use some bleach.

I’m giving her the benefit of the doubt since the weather has been clearing up, but still a bit sporadic (in my spoiled always sunny Californian eyes). I still think you’re right though, but I’m trying to be hopeful! :aiyo:

[quote=“Icon”]
I’d guess if push comes to shove, and you have a contract and such, you could ask for helop at a place like Tsui Mama -definetively a good choice next time, as if something of this sort happens again, they clear it up for you- or even a local intervention -having local friends talk to your landlady on your behalf. There could be a legal recourse of some sort, but not very likely. Yes, the damage of mold to helath is serious, but as stated, this problem is far too common to warrant teh real attention it deserves. In teh meantime, take pictures to document damage -she may counterattack saying you did the damage. And yes, do move teh earliest possible. Mold is worse in summer.[/quote]

AGH! How can mold possibly get any worse than this?! :noway:

Never heard of Tsui Mama, but Google-d it after your recommendation. Definitely seems helpful, thanks!

Thanks for the correction and identification. Nice to know that at any moment now, I can easily go up in flames. I can, right? :ohreally:

Yep, thanks for volunteering to be my partner in crime. Tomorrow after the sun sets? :discodance:

BTW, yes, I do have a slight obsession with emoticons. Yes, I avoided home all day and wandered the streets to avoid being in this mold infested box. Yes, I was in a great mood, but it’s declining as I breathe. :neutral:

If you contacted your landlord on Jan 7 she may not have been able to get anyway in before the new year to work on the place. It’s a pretty busy time of year. Give her the benefit of the doubt and say you really need this fixed or you will have to move out.

[quote=“baberenglish”]if she doesn’t fix it then it is plausible-not the mold but the structural damage.

1. document the damage-take pics/recording
  2. don’t pay rent until it’s fixed-you’ll see how fast it’s fixed
  3. if point 2 doesn’t work start looking for a place
  4. mold is your problem, structural damage is hers, use some bleach.[/quote]

Baberenglish and Mucha Man, you both seem to favor not moving out and saving it as the last resort. However, with the structural damage (mold within the walls and on the walls), do you really think it is healthy, or at least not damaging, to stay? I’m not asking to question you, rather, I really am wondering. Is it worth the battle or is all the other apartments in Taiwan similar to mine in terms of mold? I’m just stumped and trying to figure out a solution for this.

I’m not suggesting you stay at all if you think it is a serious mold problem. I suggest you move out asap and suck up the loss of a deposit if need be. My point was simply that the fact the landlord has not done anything over the past few weeks, 9 days of which were holidays is not a sign that she will never do anything.

Thanks, Mucha Man. I think it is serious enough so that I do not want to stay. I guess my plan of attack for now is:

1. Record and take pictures of everything and anything I could possibly need for later
  2. Contact the agency that hired me to contact her on my behalf and notified her that I would like to terminate my contract because of the mold problem that will (is?) affect my health without penalty. If necessary, reason that while she fixes my apartment, the apartment becomes uninhabitable and she will have to put me up in a hotel that will cost her anyways.
  3. If it doesn’t work, speak to someone from Tsuei Ma Ma and see if there’s anything they can help me with.
  4. Contact consulate

What do you guys think?

[quote=“conniebononie”]Thanks, Muzha Man. I think it is serious enough so that I do not want to stay. I guess my plan of attack for now is:

1. Record and take pictures of everything and anything I could possibly need for later
  2. Contact the agency that hired me to contact her on my behalf and notified her that I would like to terminate my contract because of the mold problem that will (is?) affect my health without penalty. If necessary, reason that while she fixes my apartment, the apartment becomes uninhabitable and she will have to put me up in a hotel that will cost her anyways.
  3. If it doesn’t work, speak to someone from Tsuei Ma Ma and see if there’s anything they can help me with.
  4. Contact consulate

What do you guys think?[/quote]

Consulate will not help. Landlord will not pay for a hotel while repairs are done.

You really don’t have a lot of tenant rights here. I would just lay it out to her flat: the apartment has a bad mold problem, you have tried to remedy it with bleach and a dehumidifier but it isn’t working, and you need to move out. She can take next month’s rent off your deposit and pay the rest when you move out.

Don’t negotiate at the beginning. Just say what you want and see how she reacts. At worst, you lose one month’s deposit. Don’t risk lose two by paying for next month’s rent.

Wow, this really bums. I’m still going to try Tsuei Ma Ma, just to get a Taiwanese opinion. Other than that, I guess I’m going with your plan, Mucha Man.

Yes, do try to get some solid legal advice.

Hi all,

I meant to post the update of my situation earlier in case any of you are wondering what happened, but I have been busy. I finally have some time. My recruiter called my landlady and basically told her I wanted to move out due to the extreme mold growth and that I was starting to feel sick. My landlady agreed to allow me to move out and return my deposit without any penalty assuming I leave the apartment in a good condition. I think to start with though, she always has been on the kind side.

I am now in my new mold-free apartment! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Glad to hear it all worked out for you.

[quote=“conniebononie”]
I am now in my new mold-free apartment! :slight_smile:[/quote]

I am pretty sure that in the absence of drastic measures (like regular dehumidifier use) no place in Taipei is mold free. Watch out as it’s only a matter of time before mold starts taking over bathroom and kitchen areas specifically.

I’ve got some black mold in my place that I’m going to try and bleach to death tomorrow.

I don’t care what anyone says, I liked the Fullbring arc!

I’m having a mold problem in my current apartment. My boss won’t help, my landlord just keeps telling me to open the windows and I have! But it has now spread all over my walls. Where my headboard is and I’m getting sick. I went to see a doctor and he basically told me I was allergic to the air in this town because of the factory. He just brushed off the fact that I have mold practically growing everywhere in my apartment. It’s growing on my clothes, my shoes, my hats, my bags, my wallets, just growing everywhere. I’m in need of desperate help. I don’t know anyone here. I’ve only been here for four months and no one wants to help me. I know I have to move out and am looking for an apartment. What I really want to know is has tenant rights changed in Taiwan at all? Do I have any rights to protect myself and my health?

Afaik there have been no major changes in the law recently, but don’t take my word for it.

There are some threads with suggestions on how to deal with mold, like this one:

What town are you in?