Moral standards in Taiwan... changing?

Warning! Danger! :runaway: Don’t onebox this link! Tainan teacher investigated over topless incident - Taipei Times

Apparently it was supposed to be a pro-gay marriage protest, but this is the 21st century, so a young lady in Tainan decided to multitask.

Cheng, a supporter of the global Free the Nipple movement, said that she was topless at the parade because she wanted society to stop judging women’s bodies and stop treating female breasts as erotic symbols.

What’s the kerfuffle about? She’s a junior high teacher. :astonished:

Meh…

I’m not saying I disagree with her but we’re only merely moving towards same sex marriage legalization haha, perhaps it would be better to take things one step at a time. This happens a lot lately tho at demonstrations or events that are in support of a singular purpose and people use that platform for alternative messages.

Revolution is revolution. 2016 is like the 1960s in the Wild, Wild West.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGLGzRXY5Bw

its like a trojan horse type of deal. i don’t want to support feminism or the anti sexualization of boobs, but i do support public boobs flashing… confusion.

I agree and will join the movement as soon as I get my citizenship. This country needs to be more flexible when it comes to the nipple. Definetively a must in favor to boost population, since nursing mothers will have more freedom to nurture healthier children through breast feeding anywhere. And if I have to stand for my 80 year old neighbors wearing only their underwear in the middle of the street while sporting nipples as long as wulong noodles, well, they can bear mine or anyone else’s at any age.

Mine have already been flashed accidentally a couple of times and the public’s reaction has not been… supportive.

1 Like

Her argument is that woman’s breasts shouldn’t only be associated with sex and promiscuity. Woman’s breasts should also represent motherly love, and people should get their minds out of the gutter.

Since the Hanji for mother is 母, which is a pictorial depiction of boobs , I’m gonna agree with her.

i can;t argue with that but i have to emphasise the ‘only’ part.

A noble sentiment, but flashing those udders in public, i.e. in the vicinity of horny men, is more likely to have the opposite effect, unless, like Icon so eloquently put it, they have “nipples as long as wulong noodles.”

Also, considering Taiwan’s almost non-existent birth rate, is it really a good idea for men to “stop teating (oops, Freudian typo) treating female breasts as erotic symbols.”?

1 Like

Problem with her position is that the teaching profession, along with military and other government agencies, is totally stiff and adamant about external standards, never mind corruption. No one baits an eye when publishing companies hire hostesses and invite the directors of schools to special hostess establishments to either influence or reward them for choosing their books. But any teacher attempst to go beyond mere repetition and drills and repart/don’t think mentality, let alone sexual education or as seen here, exploring gender roles and images, then all hell breaks loose.

We see worst things in media, as in adversiting, not to mention female images manipulation. But a teacher stirs the pot…

There was a time when a woman shows her ankles in public she would be considered promiscuous, and tempting fate because the horny men are going to assault her…

Well, I guess we can just look to those places that forces women to wear a burqa or niqab in public, and often blames the women for being raped.

It seems to me the problem is with men who have a problem respecting consent, rather than women who want to express their bodies.

2 Likes

It’s time to make it totally legit for women to go topless at beaches ! Bikinis would be a lot cheaper for one thing.

Free the Tittie Movement (pun not intended)

It’s been legit in lots of countries for decades. But the prudish yanks get their nipples in a twist from mammary shock syndrome.

Legal in NYC (except when “engaging in commerce”), though not the norm :slight_smile:

A great teacher I met back in the day used to tell a story about growing up in Hong Kong, where women’s pants ALWAYS has the zipper on the hip. At that time and place, the idea that women’s pants would have a zipper in the front was considered utterly scandalous. How many zippers on the side do you see nowadays? The point my teacher made is that such social values are always contingent, always changing.

But getting back to the Taipei Times story–it struck me as well that the scandal here is because that this woman is a teacher, someone who is supposed to be a righteous upholder of moral values. I’ve seen enough during my time here to say: what a joke.

Guy

Yes she’s singled out because she’s a teacher.

Interestingly the teachers here have almost no restrictions on what they can wear to work …from my personal observations!

Or apparently what they can do on the job. The latest from our nation’s top university:

Guy

This is a new one.

There are bribes and other illegal practices involved in even getting a proper full time job. Without “patronaje” young recently graduates will spend years waiting for an opening.

At college level, the academic paper requisites are an exquisite torture and sham.

Yet no one rarely marches over these or other malaises that like cancer erode the whole system. Or gets fired. 18% rules.

Yes common practice in schools,
You need to hong bao the principals in many cases.
I also heard tales of similar in ITRI.
Supposedly state banks work like that as well.

But I never heard of getting paid to put a name on paper!'n