More kowtowing by companies who daren't call Taiwan a country

“Taiwan, Province of China” is vague in itself.

Taiwan technically claims to be part of Republic of China.

While the mainland claims Taiwan is part of the People’s Republic of China.

So that term is technically correct, but it doesn’t specify which China. Which sorta proves your point about Orwellian doublespeak.

1 Like

I have always wondered how Taipei would react if one day the PRC decided to just drops “People’s” from their name, and re-adopting the ROC flag (of course, with the CCP remaining in complete power).

If 45 plays it right, Taiwan could be a country with its own identity.

Because no one gives a shit about Taiwan internationally and if you mention it in conversation at least 50% will think you just mispronounced Thailand

3 Likes

The US gives a shit about Taiwan. They might not care about the Taiwanese, but Taiwan is important.

1 Like

I mean the US government cares about it but how many people are even aware of its exitance?
I get very dissappointed with the unironic “are you going to learn Thai” and “gonna check out the ladyboys, ey?” When I talk about this place with friends back home

1 Like

Yeah, it’s disappointing. But is there a solution?

Says the poster who votes down marriage equality. Next!

O.o
I don’t know what you’re saying.
I’m entitled to my opinion

1 Like

“Province of China” is deeply offensive. Surely we would at least merit being a “Special Autonomous Region.”

Given the non “autonomy” currently granted to such regions, I think I’ll pass on this one.

Guy

It’s funny that despite all the tough talk from China and the rabid nationalism there, the Chinese still love and seek validation from the most useless American celebrities, and they gobble up the shittiest Hollywood productions.

3 Likes

Actually wrote to one company which wrote “Taiwan, Province of China” as my address. Their reply:

We use an ISO standard when compiling the countries names in [company]’s system, and according to the standard ISO 3166-1 the official name of the country is Taiwan, Province of China. Unfortunately, we’re unable to change it as we’re following the indicated standard.

I feel that ISO standard might explain a lot of these cases when companies don’t actively choose a side, but just follow “the standard” :roll_eyes:

He didn’t bend over and take it without lube. Clearly not enough of an apology. I bet it hasn’t been accepted.

The CCP needs the validation. Look at how they’re buying up property in their so-called “bad western countries”!

Why did you say “one Company” and not its name.
You are quoting an established policy they openly stand behind.

I suggest we letter bomb them with snail mail with requests to change. Each letter should be sent registered mail requiring a signature
ISO procedure for making drugs… Yes, food products and other things that need strict quality control… sure
A mailing databse … Dingo’s Kidneys

We should start putting “PRC, rouge Province of ROC”.

Edit: added rouge so we don’t loose face.

Taiwan, Province of Free China.

I grew up reading Free China Monthly in my local library where it was sitting next to Soviet Life on the shelves.

Wow, fuck John cena.

He spent a lot of time learning chinese, to a degree anyway, it still sounds dodgy but better than mark zuckerbergs. They used to get him to speak to the crowd in chinese when WWE came to taiwan. Now he’s shilling hard and saying sorry a million times on video like a complete and utter whore.

I can’t tell if this is a joke or not. It’s rogue, “rouge” is a colour. And it’s lose, “loose” means not tight.