Morning Jobs or Teaching 1 on 1?

Do you guys if I can get a job just teaching part time kindergarten in the morning or maybe 1-on-1 teaching. I came back to Taipei because of a possible job opportunity in the evening and I need to continue working so as to maintain subsistence until I start the other job? Also, do you guys have any other ideas?

Sure, if you don’t mind working illegally. If you are going to go the “supplemental income” route, I’d suggest doing under-the-table one on ones, rather than part-time at a kindy mill. Much less chance of getting busted and deported (but not zero).

1 Like

It seems that so many English teachers don’t mind working illegally.

1 Like

I want to work part-time for DMA, AMC, Elite, TILC, etc but they require a ARC already.

Even more silly is that I got a job for the largest online tutoring company in Taiwan, but the said to complete hiring, I either need an ARC or to leave the country

Right now, almost everyone could have 6 months free ARC for in-between-jobs. (If you already have ARC before for teaching/study/working)
No reason to do things illegally if you could afford few months doing nothing financially.

1 Like

Did she say the company can get you a work permit for online tutoring?

I agree the system is extremely silly, but we don’t condone illegal behavior.

I wouldn’t work illegally either. I meant 1 on 1 with AMC, Elite, etc.

They said that they won’t. I must have an ARC or leave the country to say Japan.

If they won’t get you a work permit but will hire you anyway if you have an ARC, it sounds like they want you to work illegally.

1 Like

They suggested I go to Japan and they said something like “Once you get to Japan contact us.” I don’t want to go to Japan though.

Be careful, grasshopper, you might cut your wings there.

I’m not sure what you mean?

I recall teaching kindys are illegal (based on infos I read here) for foreign teachers.
Then, working without ARC or with wrong ARC (working at X with ARC employed by Y) is definitely illegal.
Two wrongs doesn’t make it right.

The kindergarten law is also silly, but yes, the short answer is that it would be illegal for Mr. Ocelot.

Im sure those Taiwanese eateries I’ve seen overseas are all legal and above board - every worker has a visa and gets minimum wage.

Maybe I’m not well versed with the kindergarten tutoring rule, but to my knowledge, you can’t be here on one ARC and have two different jobs.

As in, if you’re ARC is sponsored by Company A, you can only do work for company A. OP could be doing night sessions for company A and ask for more hours in the morning from Company A, this is legal. However, working for Company A and Company B on the side, in which you get paid for both, is considered illegal.

For buxiban work, you need a separate work permit for each job (and each buxiban is counted separately, even if they have the same owner).

Edit: Sorry, I should clarify you need a work permit for every job, not just in the buxiban industry. It’s just that with buxibans it’s presumed that the hours may not be full-time, so the system is designed to accommodate up to four employers per teacher.

2 Likes

Do you guys know if there is a place where it is easy to get a work permit or could I ask a company to apply for it as long as I pay for it?

Aren’t kindies straight up illegal no matter one’s ARC status?

I think I read somewhere that the only time teaching at kindies is legal is if they have a working holiday visa.