Mosquitoes and Mosquito Mysteries

[quote=“Nuit”]Every murdered mozzie nets you 50 bad karma points. And that’s doubled if you use the tennis racquet.

Far easier to trap them with a plastic cup (just wait until they land on a wall), slide an envelope under them, and feel that inner joy and radiance bubble up inside as you release them alive and unharmed on your balcony.

nb If it’s a moz that’s just bitten me, I might leave him under the glass for an hour as a ‘stay behind after school’ punishment.[/quote]

Far easier to trap it then render it flightless (water works) then place it in the microwave for some fried mosquito.

[quote=“Nuit”]Every murdered mozzie nets you 50 bad karma points. And that’s doubled if you use the tennis racquet.

Far easier to trap them with a plastic cup (just wait until they land on a wall), slide an envelope under them, and feel that inner joy and radiance bubble up inside as you release them alive and unharmed on your balcony.

nb If it’s a moz that’s just bitten me, I might leave him under the glass for an hour as a ‘stay behind after school’ punishment.[/quote]

Why go to all the trouble of catching it just to let it go so it can come right back in and bite you again. Heck, why not just earn 50 GOOD karma points for each mosquito bite you get standing outside on your balcony nude after having bathed in sugar water? :unamused:

[quote=“housecat”][quote=“Nuit”]Every murdered mozzie nets you 50 bad karma points. And that’s doubled if you use the tennis racquet.

Why go to all the trouble of catching it just to let it go so it can come right back in and bite you again. Heck, why not just earn 50 GOOD karma points for each mosquito bite you get standing outside on your balcony nude after having bathed in sugar water? :unamused:[/quote]

Uhhhh, if I bring the, um, sugar water??

[quote=“the chief”][quote=“housecat”][quote=“Nuit”]Every murdered mozzie nets you 50 bad karma points. And that’s doubled if you use the tennis racquet.

Why go to all the trouble of catching it just to let it go so it can come right back in and bite you again. Heck, why not just earn 50 GOOD karma points for each mosquito bite you get standing outside on your balcony nude after having bathed in sugar water? :unamused:[/quote]

Uhhhh, if I bring the, um, sugar water??[/quote]

I think you’re thinking of “fire water,” Chiefy, and you’d be earning karma of a different sort, but if Nuit doesn’t mind, I see no reason why you two shouldn’t be naked on his balcony togehter.

[quote=“housecat”]

I think you’re thinking of “fire water,” Chiefy…[/quote]

Actually, I’m not that kind of Chief…

[quote=“the chief”][quote=“housecat”]

Actually, I’m not that kind of Chief…[/quote]

Naaaww–but you’re MY kind of Chief, baby!

So what’s the deal - am I invited to a nude balcony party at dusk tomorrow? I’ll bring a jar of mozzies over, in case we run a bit low.

Caught a baby moz last night. As i released it, it kind of flew around my head a couple of times as if to say thank-you thank-you, then headed off towards the neighbours.

[quote=“housecat”][quote=“the chief”][quote=“housecat”]

Naaaww–but you’re MY kind of Chief, baby![/quote]

[quote=“the chief”][quote=“housecat”][quote=“the chief”]

Naaaww–but you’re MY kind of Chief, baby![/quote]
[/quote]

You are defininitely the Cheif of smilies!

There are not many creatures whose total and complete eradication, of all individuals from all representative species, would have zero harmful effect on the world ecosystem. Mosquitoes, fortunately, are one such family… eradicate away, I say.

Pointless bastards.

Jesus. Where’s the love?

Oh, there’s lots of love , and lovin’, in there, it’s just that I’m not sending any towards the mosquitoes and their ilk.

Call me a bad Buddhist, I’ll own up to that one.

Now, if you were to talk spiders, butterflies and moths, ants, grasshoppers, fireflies and other beetles, bees and wasps, hell, even cockroaches, as well as all manner of other terrestrial ‘bugs’ like scorpions, vinegaroons, harvestmen and centipedes, I’d be only too happy to send them my love. But mosquitoes? Sorry, no.

Apart from them being a right royal pain in the asre while I’m trying to sleep (and I’m a sensitive sleeper) and their itchy bites at the worst times, they also are the insect pest responsible for killing more people than any other. Sure, bees might hold the record for the world’s most lethal animal in terms of numbers killed directly by them attacking you (anaphylactic shock from bee sting in allergic individuals), but mosquitoes spread all manner of nasty diseases such as malaria, encephalitis, various viral fevers, and so on, and malaria is the world’s largest killer (after diarrhoea).

Sure, I was just playing mosquito’s advocate a little. Don’t like them either, and world would be a healthier place without them vectoring disease everywhere.

Still prefer to catch them inside the house though, truly easier than swatting them, plus there’s no mess to wipe up. And killing a handful of mozzies is never going to make much of an impact on the total local population.

Might also have something to do with our house being hole-free, so we only get the odd one
in occasionally, when we don’t close the front door fast enough. Staying at the in-laws on
the other hand is pretty hellish, the spare room is some kind of Anopheles party zone. God
knows what they feed on during the 340 days a year that we’re not there.

[quote=“urodacus”]There are not many creatures whose total and complete eradication, of all individuals from all representative species, would have zero harmful effect on the world ecosystem. Mosquitoes, fortunately, are one such family… eradicate away, I say.

Pointless bastards.[/quote]

Yeah, what the F*** do we have Mozzies for? What purpose, except to irritate and spread disease, do they have?

And this new apartment I’m in, we even had the bastards all through winter! :idunno:

Nothing on this planet, or anywhere else, exists for a purpose. Mosquitoes exist and live the way they do purely because there is the space and the facility to do so. They fill that ecological niche well. If there were no mosquitoes, there would be another descendant of a fly or maybe an ant (some kind of wasp, for example) that would be occupying that space, and for all intents and purposes, it would be a mosquito as well.

Yeah, but would they be as irritating?

A better designed mosquito would take your blood without the noise or the itch.

I think I’ve got the mystery solved. The mosquitoes hitch a free ride into your apartment by attaching to your body, your hair, your bag, or anything you bring into your home with you like a baby stroller. Solution? Do some jumping jacks right before you open your front door and enter quickly.

They should put more juice in those skeeter swatters. I want to see frikkin’
lightning bolts
fly when I swat one. :smiling_imp:

Drink excessively. :smiley:

Once a skeet takes a nibble, he’ll be as drunk as Santa on the 26th December. Flying in circles home to their wife’s, they’ll die a gruesome death when the wife smells the alcohol in their breath. The ones that don’t die won’t be able to reproduce because we all know that you can’t get it up when you’re drunk.
:wink: