Mosquitoes and Mosquito Mysteries

I like to leave the squished corpses strewn around my bed…kinda as a warning to would be suckers…

Guess I would have made a great medieval King…

Hahaha. My apartment is a WAR ZONE strewn with corpses. The walls have the remains of the unlucky f-ers I caught after waking up from a bad night of sleep because of them. I adopted a new method for killing them recently. I sucked up a small amount of insecticide into my mini-vac, and then whenever i see a mosquito i suck it up as well. A few days ago i opened up the small collection compartment and lo and behold…the body count was glorious! Hahaha. :smiling_imp:

I second Stevieboy: definitely elevators.

CK

After saying this I might wake up tomorrow with a face full of bites but despite a legion of mosquitos in the house these past few weeks I haven’t had any bites that I have noticed. There aren’t as many lately, perhaps my blood tastes bad?

I do have a couple of those floor zappers which drive me nuts with their noise and a couple of raid plug-ins which probably do more harm to my brain than theirs.

19th Floor eh ? Throw them off the balcony and see if they can fly :smiling_imp:

One time an acquaintance of mine said that she hadn’t been bitten once by a mosquito and attributed it to her vegan diet. Anyone know if there is any truth in that or was she just full of sh*t?

Steve, I reckon thats shit. Its more likely that they will chose a sweeter smelling target over her. I get bitten whilst my girlfriend sleeps on oblivious. But if I go and sleep in another room after the attck they will munch on her as she is the only remaining target. Ask your friend to stand in a swarm of them, then see who gets bitten to hell.

BTW, I just saw one get in the elevator on my way up here. They get sucked in as the doors open. Bastards.

Just killed another one. Advantage me, temporarily.
As to Raid, I think it just warns them to fly to another area of my apartment.

I just bought one of those plug-in zappers and haven’t had a problem since. The light is a bit annoying, but the crackle as another vampire fries is a real joy. I don’t mind it a bit.

In the past I’ve relied on the poison method, and always woke up feeling crappy. The new solution is much better.

I’ve heard that the potassium in bananas attract the little vipers. But if you think it’s bad here, try Manitoba. Its the provincial bird.

Quite seriously when I’ve had a good drink they keep clear as the smell of alchohol annoys them.
Otherwise buy one of those Raid plug-ins from 7/11

My advise: keep the windows closed and the apartment cool (air-con).
If you want/need fresh air and you don’t have aircon install some netting.

That reminds me…in Thailand and here I keep the fan blowing over me. Seems to work. I never use webbing…too claustrophobic.

I discovered that most of the mosquitos that come into my house get in through the two exhaust fans that are above the stove. I used to find about 10 moquitos a day flying around my house, but then one day while I was washing dishes, I saw a few mosquitos fly straight out of the exhaust fans (when they were turned off). Then I taped aluminum foil all over the exhaust fans and ever since then I only find about two or three mosquitos a week compared to 10 a day!

The only problem is that my wife likes to stir fry everything with piles of oil, and if she can’t use the exhaust fans, it smokes up the whole house. So now she has to use much less oil when she cooks. Well, all of our pans are Teflon, so really it isn’t necessary to use so much oil anyway.

The best solution would be to put some kind of netting outside over the outlet of the exhaust fans, but I haven’t gotten around to doing that yet.

Thanks mark, but as I live on the 19th floor id rather have mosquito’s, than kill myself.

Thanks mark, but as I live on the 19th floor id rather have mosquito’s, than kill myself.[/quote]

Why can’t you put screen material over the oven exhaust fans inside the house. Would also keep someone from sticking their finger in there and getting it cut off. Thanks for this kitchen fan tip by the way. I have a bathroom fan exhaust that is connected to an airvent in my 3 story townhome. I only thought of covering that to prevent them from flying down the ventilation tube and into my bathroom, but I forgot the kitchen fan.

The other thing to watch out for is if you have cats and they scratch, try to open, or climb on the mosquiot-stop wondows/doors. They pullopen the holes makign them big enough for mossies to get in.

Brian

Mosquitoes probably breed in your neighbours’ plant pots and in depressions on the roof.

Someone told me mosquitoes don’t bite people who eat preserved plums. While that sounds far-fetched to me, I have noticed that I don’t get as many bites if I drink coffee.

I favour the racquet-shaped zapper myself for catching the odd mosquito. Very satisfying crackle, and you can smell them burning.

What’s the deal with these new black and white ones I’m seeing? My kids told me these are the kind that bring diseases. Can anyone shed some light on this?

Damn still no replies. Time to resurrect this thread yet again. :smiley:

Again, anyone shed some light on this? :notworthy:

I believe the black and white striped ones are called Bamboo mosquitoes. Don’t know if they are any more likely to spread diseases, but they do give a really horrible bite. My last apartment had a patio backing onto a forested area and had lots of those little buggers amonst the trees. Viscous buggers and you can usually actually feel them bite, which aids in squishing them when you catch them in the act. Bite area tends to swell considerably with various side effects, one of which being all the hair falling out in about a 1 inch radius of the bite. Not nice critters.