Mosquitoes and Mosquito Mysteries

oops, sorry…computer malfunction…don’t know why my post ended up here 3 times…Mods, please delete the excess ones if possible. My bad. :blush:

The only thing that works against mosquitos are those electric plug-in devices with the liquid inside…if the situation is that bad in the house, you can put a few throughout…I don’t think the mosquitos are attracted to the pretty blue light in bug zappers…so I wouldn’t depend on it as your primary method of killing…but I keep one on anyways…they randomly fly in ever-so-often…I also have one of those fancy tennis racket bug zappers…those are fun…

Eat a lot of fresh garlic. Mossie’s hate it.

(typing with one hand on the keyboard and a tennis racket bug zapper in the other)

u gotta use da electric racket, and the electric mats (pellets) U plug into the wall which keeps em from biting you.

Sometimes I spent hours from 3-5am. chasing them down…mosquitoes can realyl ruin your life :frowning:

You’re an English Teacher, right?

They have mosquitoes in Taiwan now?

On special offer, it seems.

Our building has a shared aircon service with one big unit up the top (its kind of like a hotel) but anyway these things are full of water, but in winter, whilst the fans work, the water isn’t being cycled which means it just sits there. Its a perfect breeding ground for mosquitos which then fly back through the air conditioning system. Just check whether your aircon istself is responsibile or not. If it is, perhaps u put some oil on the top of the water (which prevents the wrigglers from breathing) or drain it completely.

How does the electricity bill get split in this situation? Do you have direct control of the temperature or preset by the landlord? If you have direct control of the temp, I cannot imagination NOBODY has tried to take advantage of the situation, considering it is Taiwan…

mosquito net.

They’re on special: all you can eat.

I have the full defenses up, short of sleeping under a mosquito net:

plug-in UV zapper, on 24-7

electric racquets in every room within easy reach, including an oversized one on my bed just next to my hand as I sleep

electric plug-in device with the liquid inside; put one in the bedroom, and turn it on a couple hours before bedtime.

cracks around windows etc. sealed well

One still gets in every few days, probably when I open the front door to go in or out. Maybe I should raise bats?

How does the electricity bill get split in this situation? Do you have direct control of the temperature or preset by the landlord? If you have direct control of the temp, I cannot imagination NOBODY has tried to take advantage of the situation, considering it is Taiwan…[/quote]

I do have direct control, and I don’t pay for it…

I hardly ever get bothered or bitten by mosquitoes nowadays. That’s one of the benefits of living the high life in a 15th-floor apartment.

Whoever was responsible for building this house kindly destroyed a beautiful, well-designed home by punching a/c outlets through almost every. single. wall. and not actually bothered to install any a/c units. Each room has at least three separate in/out ports and god knows what they were thinking.

Anyways… it’s not so bad now but I live in the middle of a mountain forest and I’ll bet my bumcheeks that come summer this place is going to have every cockroach, beetle and winged insect treat these ports like an open invitation to nest.

I just don’t feel the heat and don’t need anything more than a fan to keep me cool at night. I don’t want to buy a/c units just to cover up the holes and they’re too high to mask with paintings or something and not look silly. Any ideas for keeping critters out without permanently blocking up the holes? I was thinking about filling them with expanding sealant foam but will the roaches find some way to digest that? They seem to eat everything else.

I use a white Philips bug zapper with a flat back. It sits on the floor, up against the wall. Since I started using it, my family and I are safe from mosquitoes, flies and gnats.
It works so good, whenever I’m missing a shrimp from my aquarium, I just wait a couple of days and sure enough, there it is, pink and dead in front or next to the zapper. A little wasabi and they’re good eating.

Does anyone know what’s actually in those liquid plug-in things? Are they safe to use in a baby/kids’ room?

The first few weeks we were here, people thought my kids had chicken pox because of bites on their faces and hands.

Those electric Tennis rackets work great - Lotsa fun too :slight_smile:

I

[quote=“puiwaihin”]I’ve got more mosquitos in my apartment than Taoyuan has sex toy shops. I’ve tried sealing up the cracks around my AC and a couple likely sources, but they just keep coming.
[/quote]

How many sex toy shops are in Taoyuan?

[quote]
Does anyone have a good method for finding out where the critters are sneaking in from?[/quote]

Close the doors and the room with the most mosquitos after one week would be your search candidate. I turn on that electroplug thing with tank before I go to sleep and kill them if I’m still awake in another room. It works.