Most important time period for Taiwan economy since 1949

I am currently working on a assignment which focuses on the Taiwan economy since 1949. I can’t cover the economic history from 1949-today, so i hoped you guys could help me pick the 2-3 most important time peroids in Taiwan economy history.

It could be great if it was peroids where the government actually took action and did something, in terms of politics and so on.
Thank you. I can’t wait to visit Taiwan on my trip next year! :slight_smile:

Bit lazy.

1 Like

OP: Do some reading and report back to us. I’d be curious to know what you come up with.

And yes do come visit. Taiwan is well worth seeing.

Guy

1 Like

“Period” not “peroid”. Gud speling is so improtnant.

1 Like

I would instead suggest you read up on American aids to Taiwan, especially under the quise of J.G. White Corporation led by Valery S. de Beausset.

I have already read a lot. I have a feeling that 1949-1960’s was the most important period. But could be nice if some with more knowledge could help :wink:

Thanks, i will do that. What period do you think is the most important?

And where can i find literature about Taiwan economy history?

Think about the globalization boom that happened across the world and especially in China. i.e. muilti-national corps, urban development, and… tourism. That time period is probably 90’s-2000s+, don’t quote me.
This is after the death of Mao which set into motion the shift from production economy to tertiary based economy.
Hopefully this will spark an idea.

Nrergghhh …wrong answer.

I don’t know enough about Taiwan to know what the most important time period was for Taiwan’s economy, but the exchange linked below between the poster hansioux and me could give you some hint or other of what may have been a significant period. Hansioux’s views differed from mine, and he made good points in support of his views, especially in pointing out the downside of economic development:

Indeed. There is a comparative study with other developing countries that received even more aid, that would certainly be quite interesting.

I would say that the most interesting points in Taiwanese economy would be:

1. Lift off: late 50’s, 60s to 70s. The origin of the money invested is the most interesting part. It is not the official story you will be interested in, wink wink.
  2. Shangrila: 80s’. The stock market excesses still in place, the awash in money. How everything was not as fine as they tout it nowadays.
  3. Self-immolation: 90s -starting with supporting China after Tiannammen, then the Big March North as enterprises escaped responsabilitie shere and hurdled towards the One Big Basket market.
  4. Decline: 2000 onward, including feeble attempts to engage in creative industries and how those efforts are thwarted by a system entrenched in the 80s… like 1880’s I mean.
3 Likes