Motorcycle touring

I think if you’re going through, you may as well stop at Jilong, but you don’t need to take the coast road. There’s a couple of places (check your map) that the road headss from the coast up to Ruifang. Use one to go to Jiufen. Then you get a different road straight down to Jilong through the hills. That road’s fine. The road from Jilong up to Yeliu’s fine too.

Another thing to consider would be skipping most fo the coast almost entirely and heading up into the hills through smaller roads going through places like Shuangxi. On the other hand, I like the coast - it’s just those trucks.

Brian

Loudong is worth a day at least!
The sports park is stunning and so are the surrounds. Shua beach is a must see and so is the colourful fish market. The hotsprings in Jioshi are also a must. Would not suggest riding from Loudong to Hualien with your mom. The road is hectic, train the bikes to Hualien from Loudong.

Thanks everybody. Basically it has to be the coast road because of the places I mentioned, although I’ll try that shortcut Jiufen - Keelung.

I assume the trucks are heading for the docks at Keelung? Any thoughts on whether north-bound traffic will be better/the same/worse on Tue 20 Jan (C.N.Y. eve is on the 21st)?

We’ll have to face the trucks anyway for the previous leg; Tianxiang (in Taroko) by Qingshui cliffs to Ilan. That road is spectacular although the trucks are tiresome. When I was there before, I didn’t find them to be dangerous drivers on the whole - some were quite courteous - but it was a hassle getting past them, and of course I won’t be taking any risks with my mum on the back. At least there shouldn’t be much north-bound holiday traffic. I assume everybody will be going south for C.N.Y.

C.N.Y. was also what made me cautious about staying another night on the north coast, e.g. at Keelung. That night would be C.N.Y. eve, the 21st, and I’m afraid that Keelung would be dead, with nowhere to eat (my mum’s vegetarian). That’s why I thought it might be better to head straight for Taipei. Any thoughts on that?

Thanks again.

AP wire service reporting on Dakar rally, in Sunday’s China Post;
“David Fretigne on a Yamaha was the day’s fastest motorcyle rider… ‘I didn’t feel I was riding fast. Having a two-wheel drive bike helps a lot going out of bends’”
For info on the technology behind it;
gizmo.com.au/public/News/new … cleid=2351
Note that it doesn’t just help off-road bikes; it also significantly improved the performance of a road bike (Yamaha R1) in the wet.
For experiences of riding other 2wd bikes (using different technology) see;
home.mira.net/~iwd/2x2x2/ride/index.html

These photos of guys taking their road Harleys offroad are incredible. Look out for the ones of them ‘getting air’ about half-way down.
advrider.com/forums/showthre … genumber=1

Hello Joesax,

FYI…The turnoff to Juifen is about 2km north of Fulong. Watch out for a Formosa gas station on your left…That’s the turnoff. From there you can decide whether to do Juifen or head up over the pass into Shengang-Taipei. You’ll follow this road for about 9km then it splits…well marked for both Taipei and Juifen. The scenery up to Juifen from there is fantastic. Lastly for this section, you’ll have to contend with some of the truck traffic once you come down from Juifen into Ruei-fang and on into Keelung…about 5km only. Weather for this section is very iffy during the winter so bring some good raingear!

You’ll also have to make a decision in Suao whether or not to visit Chiao-hsi…A must visit if you’re soaked to the skin after a rainy ride day. If you choose this route, turn left at the bottom of the hill in Suao. If you choose to skip this stop and head straight for the Northeast coast, turn right and then take the first left… A loong tunnel that will take you to the binghai road.

I like your mom already…Enjoy!

Thanks for the tips Michael & everybody. We’re setting off tomorrow. I have my Oxford panniers now, my mum’s comfortable on the bike and likes the jacket I got for her.

Happy holidays everybody!

I have read this whole thread with great interest. I am new at biking outside Taipei but eager to learn and experience. Currently I only own a Yamaha 125 CC scooter.
I got myself a map of Taiwan. And so here is my first question.

1. On most of the thread I read you guys taking the Highway…whatever number. That would be marked on a map by a blue triangle and a white number, I thought this is only for cars and trucks?
  2. I live in Taipei and haven’t seen and signs that indicates a way to get to these highway? can you only get on them outside of Taipei?
  3. Can I make it to Keelung or any nice place with my 125CC?
  4. I’ve read sometimes guys looking for riding partner, anyone wants to go somewhere this WE?
  5. Do I need to rent something bigger to go out?
  6. If nobody wants to go out, can i get easy direction for a newby ride outside
    Thanks,
    And again a very instructive thread.

Welcome, Igor!

The blue triangle numbers are for Provincial Highways. They are fine for bikes. The ones you can’t go on are Freeways and Expressways. On my map, the Freeways have a kind of ‘cloverleaf’ or flower shape with a yellow background and the number in black.

The Provincial Highways go right through cities and towns including Taipei, but sometimes its easy to lose them. If you are going along a Provincial Highway and it goes into a city, it will have a street name as well. Sometimes in a city the street name takes priority, and road signs don’t have the blue triangle with the road number on, even though the road is both street and highway. For example, the no.3 Provincial Highway runs right through Taichung. At one point it is Chungshan (Zhongshan) Rd, at another point it is Beitun Rd. It doesn’t stop being the no.3 Provincial Highway as well, but there are some bits where the road signs don’t have the blue no. 3, although it’s getting better.

When I was in the hotel in Taipei with my mother and my friend, we spent some time looking at various maps trying to work out the best way to get out onto the no. 3. My friend went back a day earlier than us, and he found that although there are a couple of tricky, confusingly-signed junctions, Hoping (Heping) West Rd basically turns into the no. 3! Based on his advice, my mother and I drove straight out of Taipei on the no.3 highway all the way.

Another provincial highway leading out of Taipei is the no. 2 over Yangmingshan and out to the coast. To get on it, go along Chungshan (Zhongshan) North Road up into the Shilin district. Turn right (onto Yangmingshan Road I think) in the direction of the National Palace Museum. If you just keep on that road you will go up the mountain and will come to a fork in the road. If you keep on that main road you will eventually get to the coast, close to Yeliu, where there are some beautiful rock formations (you have to pay to get in but it’s worth it). If you continue along the no. 2 you will get to Keelung. Just one point- the main no.2 highway actually goes right round the north coast. The bit over Yangmingshan is the number two with a little Chinese character under it, a kind of subsidiary of the main no.2. It’s still a Provincial Highway and still uses the blue triangle signs, though, and I don’t think you’d get lost because the place names are all romanised as well.

I’m not very familiar with Taipei so I hope somebody can make my directions clearer and also tell you of other good roads to go on. Taking the no.9 out southeast of Taipei looks as if it would be a nice ride- I think somebody mentioned it before on this thread.

No problem. A friend of mine recently went over the Southern Cross-Island Highway, much higher and more demanding than the road to Keelung, on his old 125 scooter. I think fellow poster Feiren did the same. You should make sure your bike is in good mechanical condition first, though, including brakes, tyres (Enough tread? Not cracked? Air pressure OK?) and engine (clean spark plug and carburettor, regular oil changes) amongst other things.

No you don’t. Of course you won’t get fantastic speeds or performance out of a 125 engine, but that’s just as well because the scooter brakes and tyres couldn’t handle a great deal of speed anyway. Just take it easy and enjoy the ride. And remember to be aware of what’s happening on the road all around you and try to anticipate tricky situations before they arise.

Joseax, I want to really thank you for taking the time to answer so clearly all my questions.
I am getting ready to go out this Sunday, I can’t wait. Thanks again.

[quote=“igorveni”]Joseax, I want to really thank you for taking the time to answer so clearly all my questions.
I am getting ready to go out this Sunday, I can’t wait. Thanks again.[/quote]
Here’s a very easy-to-find route: Go south along Roosevelt Rd. without making any turnoffs. Eventually you’ll end up in Hsindian (Xindian)and then you’ll be on the #7 provincial highway, which takes you up over the mountains and down into the town of Pingshi, surrounded by tea farms. Stop here and get yourself some of the best oolong tea in the world. Continue on without making any turnoffs and you’ll go up the mountains again to an incredible view of the Ilan (Yilan) plain spread out below you with the Pacific Ocean beyond. Wind your way down a series of steep switchbacks to reach the plain and keep going till you get to Ilan (Yilan). This is about 70km and will take maybe a couple of hours – more if the traffic’s heavy (which it will be) and if you make stops (which you will).
On the way back if your arse can stand it you can follow the coast road all the way back to Taipei, but be warned! Its a much longer route (over 100 km) but gives you the benefit of both mountain and coastal riding. Stop in Dashi to watch the surfers or take a swim, stop again at Longtung to watch the rock climbers and eat some fresh seafood.

DRIVE SAFE!

Sandman, that sounds really easy, I just wish I will not get lost or something. If I don’t post within 3 days after sunday, call the police (Joke)
Thanks guys, it really looks like you know your way around the place. This is going to be my first outing on my 125 scooter.
I am going to take a bunch of pics and post them for all to see.

Joseax and Sandman, here is what my wife and I decided for this trip. I want to run it through you first so I don’t take unecessary detours.
Starting on Nanking East Rd, sect3. getting onto Muza Road sect 4 and on onto route 106, following it up until it split with 102, and taking right on 102 to Fulong. staying around a couple of hours and then head north on Highway 2 towards Audi and Longdong then jiofen and back to Taipei via Keelung.
I reckon leaving around 8 in the morning and back around 11pm.
How does this look to you? (with my 125 Yamaha scooter) :smiley:

Hi Igor,

Your route looks nice but I think it’s a bit too ambitious if you haven’t done much of this stuff before. It’s a long day’s ride.

Riding anywhere in Taiwan, even in the countryside, demands a lot of concentration, and long rides can be mentally very taxing, as well as physically. It’s better to build endurance up gradually. That is doubly important if you have a passenger - if you go too far on the first trip you risk putting her off motorcycle trips altogether, which would be a great pity.

When I did the trip with my mother, I planned it so that no day would have more than 3 hours riding time. As it turned out, a couple of days had more riding time than that, but generally the plan worked fine. I think that dividing the trip up like this, and making frequent rest stops, really helped my mother enjoy the trip.

Are you new to motorcycling altogether, or did you ride in your home country? If you’re new to it then I would strongly suggest getting some experience by making some trips on your own before you think about taking a passenger. I remember reading that many, perhaps the majority of motorcycle accidents occur when riders have been riding for less than a year.

Sorry if I sound a bit pessimistic, I’m just trying to be realistic and improve your enjoyment and safety! I would suggest starting off with a shorter route - maybe going along Sandman’s route for an hour or two then coming back. Yangmingshan would be another nice place to play but I think there’d be a lot of weekend traffic and the beginning of Sandman’s route would be quieter.

And don’t be looking for route #7 signs, as of course I fucked up – its route #9 you should be looking for. :blush:

Actually, the weather’s so nice now that I would not recommed the Ilan road as it will be very busy indeed.

I suggest your own choice, except don’t turn right on 102 (even though it takes you through a beautiful little valley). Stay on 106 and you’ll come out on the coast not too far from Longtung. Take your swimsuit and go for a dip in the ocean.

And Sandman, he’d be getting his tea in Pingling, not Pingxi. :slight_smile:

If you take 106 you will pass Pingxi. Just past this town are the magnificent Shifen Waterfall. Stop and have a look (park at the visitor centre on the right). There is also a coal mine museum in Pingxi but you won’t have time for this. If you’re lucky, you’ll see people lighting sky lanterns near the visitor centre. You can even try one yourself if you want.

A few km before Pingxi is the little town of Jingtong. The old japanese area station here is in lovely shape and down by the river is a well-preserved old Japanese villa. In the hills behind the station you can find the ruins of a mining town and several excellent hiking trails. A little past the town is the hilariously named “Popular Dike Cafe”.

Past Pingxi is Barbarian Valley. I haven’t been to the valley yet there yet but I’ve been told that the rocks along the river are pitted and gouged in a very cool looking way.

Better not give up my day job for the life of a tour guide, eh? :blush:

Barbarian Valley, or Wild Man Gorge as I was told was its name, used to be pretty nice but I haven’t been there for more than 10 years. I remember having a fine picnic and swim by the river there. Even saw a tiny water snake catch an even tinier fish right in front of my nose while I was swimming.

Well, looks like I’m in the same boat. :blush: The coal museum is outside Shifen, not Pingxi.

Went out there this morning with some friends. The Shifen waterfall was still impressive but had only about 1/3 the volume of water it did around Chinese New Year. Also the water for some reason was muddy. Really muddy. Usually it is a clear blue-green, like tropical waters.

I wonder how Igor liked his trip. Certainly was a beautiful day for a ride.

OK…first trip out with a little help of my friends. Thank you very much. It was indeed a nice little ride. I took the road to Pinglin (106) and it was awesome, beautiful weather and all. Had some nice tea with my wife and she was so happy because we haven’t been out like that for a long time.
then on our way back we took highway 9 to Shidien (Xindian) and onto Roosevelt Rd. Nice weather, nice view, awesome day. Thanks again.
Now of course I want some more… :smiley:

Hi all!

I was really happy to find this thread, since for a while it seemed no-one was touring Taiwan on motorcycles. I have a two week inter-contract holiday coming up, and I want to use it all for touring around Taiwan, and induldging in my current hobby obsession, photography. I’ve been to a couple of places in Taiwan, but always by bus/train, or in the cars of Taiwanese friends. I had a big bike in SA, and miss the solitude and freedom of the open road.

I have some questions though.

1. Maps! I saw joseax talking about a nice volume of maps he has. Do they have any romanisation, or only characters? What exactly do I have to look for if I want to find them? Are they detailed enough to allow auto-navigation most of the time? Fortunately my Mandarin is coming along nicely :wink:

2. Sleeping arangements: I am on a fairly tight budget, and was hoping to get away for 500NT/night or less. Is this realistic? Is it worth while getting a tent, aiming to camp often?

3. Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance:
    I have a Yamaha Fuzzy 125. Baught it a couple of months ago. The body looks fairly good, and the salesman claims the engine was recently rebuilt (the clock showed an obviously fake 2400km, might indicate when the engine was rebuilt), and gave me a 1 year warranty on the engine. They seem to be good for the warranty too, since a friend of mine baught almost the same scooter (Forward) from them, and when the drive belt broke, they sent their driver from Yong Ho, to damn near SanXia to pick it up, and fixed it all for free. The Engine feels pretty nippy too (as compared to a Taiwnese friend’s well used Fuzzy), so as far as I can tell the bike is in good shape.

However, its obviously a bad idea not to have the bike checked out before I go. Aside from the obvious oil change, the recommendation here seems to be to take it to Jeremy to be checked out? Any other consumables I should be looking at? Its interesting no-one ever mentions anything about air-filters, oil-filters etc… I’d also like to be 100% sure about the rolling stock (brakes, shocks, etc).

Interesting aside, when I was looking for a scooter, I also swung past Jeremy, who says he does not actually sell, or service scooters himself, but it’s done by a close Taiwanese business associate, and his main business is renting. I guess he’s still the “interface” WaiGoiRen see though :slight_smile:

1. Loading a scooter:

Yes, how may one do it? Of course the main advantage of a scooter in the town is its under-seat storage, but this won’t go far on a long tour :slight_smile: Has anyone here loaded up a scooter similar to mine, and what suggestions do you have?

Lastly, thanks to all who has posted in this thread. Its been most inspiring. My flatmate and I are now, thanks to this inspiration, getting of our asses for a tour to the north of Taipei this Sunday He’s been living here for almost three years, and has actually toured a bit by the “take whatever road looks interesting” method, so we’ll see where we get :slight_smile: