Moving to Taiwan, what should I bring with me?

:s

They have 3-4 brands in Geant/Aimai - at least I usually buy mine there. I would doubt that the situation is different in Carrefour, Tesco, or RT mart.

It’s usually next to the mosqito coils.

When it comes to Ibubrufen, then I buy mine not in Watson’s, but in the neighborhood pharmacies.

Since you emphasize the word REAL I suspect you may be mistaken about conditions in Taiwan. This is not China and you will not find fake men’s designer suits in the night market for a tenth of the regular price. If there are fake men’s designer suits here they are well hidden in the department stores and you will still pay top dollar for them.

On the other hand, if you are a women and love LV products (especially handbags) you will be in heaven. Just remember though that purchases of fake products supports organized crime.

If you are a larger male definitely bring a lot of your own clothing. If you are not you can buy good designer clothing here easily. It’s cheaper casual clothing (that doesn’t look stupid) from somewhere like the GAP that is hard to find. Since it seems you will be coming here on an expat package affording designer brands shouldn’t be an issue.

It is a good idea to bring a lot of dry fit (quick drying) shirts and shorts and pants for casual summer wear. It gets really really hot here. And wet. Nylon or dry fit shorts or also great especially if you plan to do any outdoor activities. Cotton shorts are awful here as they get so saturated with moisture they stick to your legs. Linen is great for casual city wear.

Since you are coming from Belgium you probably don’t need to bring your favorite beer as the Belgium beer selection in Taipei is excellent. Odeon II must have a few dozen selections. There is also a Belgium guy in the south who will deliver to your door.

Vitamins are very very expensive here. Bring your own.

US dollars or Euros? Why would you bring those? There is no black market here to exchange them on for a higher rate if that’s what you had in mind.

I heard of someone last night, that came here 4 months ago, set up everything for the long haul, and now is leaving cos they can’t stand it. I wondered what would drive a person to give up so soon?

Forget about Hugo Boss underwear. Make sure you bring your funny undies!

:laughing: We hairy neanderthals are genetically superior. Natural mosquito netting.

Seriously though, I’ve seen skeeter spray here, and Costco sells inexpensive plug-in zappers that work very well. Add an electric mosquito bat in each room, make sure your window screens are all tightly sealed, and you’re all set. I haven’t used the spray except for hiking.

But in the US we have something to stop the itch of a bite (ammonia-based), dispensed from a pen-like applicator, and that’s really useful. Bring a couple.

Aspirin, yes. But blister packs of it are good too, since this way the remainder of the tablets don’t deteriorate from the humidity after opening the bottle. Or bring multiple, small bottles.

If you have a huge head, bring your own hats, and your own motorcycle helmet and spare visor.

hell, bring extras of all these things and sell them to us! :slight_smile:

When we’re finished with this thread, we should have someone write up a neatly edited summary and make a sticky, no?

Oh, and bring a geiger counter and radiation suit, as China is planning on building forty more nuclear power plants on the east coast. :astonished: edition.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/asiap … index.html

if you take multi vitamins bring a lot.
they are really expensive in taiwan.

OK, I’m making up a master list, perhaps for future posting or sticky.
Here’s my list in progress; I’ll edit it rather than reposting, based on subsequent comments.

Recommendations for what to bring to Taiwan
(compiled from many fellow posters, thanks to all!)

Special Needs
If you have special needs of any kind, from custom orthopedic shoes to large illuminated magnifying readers, BYO (bring your own).

Clothing
Inexpensive casual wear is widely available here in smallish Asian sizes. If you are petite, short, thin or average, you’ll do fine here.

But if you are big or tall, BYO including extra undies, bras, sportswear, sportsbras, socks, belts, shoes, sandals, house slippers, beach flipflops, swimwear, wetsuits – you name it! GAP-type places max out around a 37-38 waist for men?s trousers, and I?m told womens go up to 33-34 and sometimes even 39 or so; but they are often not amply cut in the thighs and seat, and style may be really limited. Big stores in Taipei like RT and Carrefour carry up to 38 - 40 for men tops/shirts. There are only very few big and tall stores (for women), but they may not cater to those in between regular local sizes and large sizes. Bring your own, or plan to shop online.

For really big heads, bring hats.

Undies:
For men, cotton boxers are good for Taiwan?s hot, humid weather, as jock itch is a problem. Cheap, good quality, thick cotton socks are hard to find too; consider bringing a dozen pairs.
For women, bring own undergarments; local undergarments are tacky, padded, and small. Even if you are not large, if you want unpadded bras, BYO.

For all, comfortable, cool cotton, linen or other clothes suitable for very hot humid weather, e.g., dry fit (quick drying) clothes; nylon or dry fit shorts for sports; sandals, etc.
Dress, casual, or hiking shoes - If your feet are over size 10, bring them. Big running shoes are a bit easier to find. If shoes are good quality and cheap in your country (e.g., Mexico), bring extras.

If planning on interviewing, bring your formal clothes.
If you?re into good quality all-cotton sweatpants/shirts, bring your own.
Dry cleaning services are widely available, and include pickup and delivery service, at least in major cities, and my own experience has been positive. But there have been some complaints of poor quality services, and dry cleaners still using non-green and/or smelly petrochemical cleaning agents (old, volatile synthetic solvents carbon tetrachloride and trichlorethylene instead of the modern perchlorethylene (perc) - including in Ilan city), and then hanging quilts out to dry along streets with polluted air (this is often seen in Taipei too, so is probably island-wide). So consider bringing only water-washable clothing.

Most folks have only a washer, and line dry stuff, but in the rainy and chilly damp seasons, a dryer is best. Local dryers are smallish, and too small for quilts. If you have a container coming, consider bringing a good dryer, either gas or electric. Most apts. have bottled gas, but piped gas is becoming more common.

Don?t neglect to bring some warm clothing for Taiwan?s damp, chilly winter, which sometimes drops to 6-13 deg. C. It?s not sunny and tropical all the time in Taipei! Arctic parkas are not needed, but warm, windproof coats are needed. Bring a woolen cap, scarf, and wool sweaters if you have and like them; the cold season is short, but these are nice to have if you have room, and although woolen sweaters are available, good scarfs and caps are rarer. Central heating in homes is rare; bring a warm throw if you like those. And an electric blanket.

When you arrive, remember not to trust tag sizes; an L might fit like an M here.

Good, high-quality full-size towels, and high thread-count bedding and linens aren?t widely available here, although some can be found at Ikea and Costco, but the selection is limited; if you are fussy about them or want just the right decor and have room, bring them or ship them.

Personal Hygiene & Pharmaceuticals
Favorites in deodorant, etc.; some available here but maybe not your fav.
Prescription sunglasses.
If dark-skinned, bring makeup/bandages matching your skin tone if desired (and any other products specific to your ethnic group or personal style)
If you are blonde by choice, bring supplies to stay that way.
Hair-dye that you can wash out, i.e. with no bleach; the semi-permanent stuff, like L’Oreal, Revlon, Clairol.
Several small bottles or blister packs of aspirin. Aspirin is pricey here.
Multivitamins if you take them regularly; brands like Centrum are pricey here.
Rennies antacid tablets.
DEET. Topical medication for mosquito bite relief like ammonia-based products, e.g., img.epinions.com/images/opti/8a/ … ch_Eraser-
or aloe vera.
Spray for sunburn if you?re prone. Bronzing lotions, etc. Here the ideal is pale.
nice-smelling anti-bacterial hand lotion
Earplugs ? e.g., Mack’s PillowSoft Silicone Earplugs at Walmart
Medicated powder for athlete?s foot and jock itch, in large quantities.

Tampons are available at limited locations with very limited selection: at some 7-11s, some Watsons, some supermarkets, (at some Wellcome’s in mini and regular sizes), and some of those cheap-looking shops that sell everything; you might just bring a few months’ supply until you find a source here; some complain of only finding supers. Sanitary pads (panty shields/feminine napkins) are everywhere, with selection choice.
Disprin.
PMS meds.
You might want to bring some basics from your medicine cabinet, like Nyquil, laxatives, allergy meds, etc., to tide you over until you find similar products locally.
Your favorite makeup
Unperfumed products.

large condoms and particularly fun types are not widely available. If you’re a tripod or use only blueberry flavor, bring your own. EDIT: see forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.php?t=27889
for custom-made condoms in Taiwan and an interesting little thread; includes info on the average condom size sold in Taiwan. I’ll spare you the lascivious details here .

EDIT: add styptic pencils to the list.

Money
US dollars and other major currencies are exchangeable at all banks. Not all banks cash travelers checks, although airport banks do. TC?s are not widely accepted at small stores, so don?t bring a bunch of small ones. Be sure to change enough money at the airport to get you through a few days.
Extra checks for your home bank account - Some banks will not reorder checks for you if sent to an overseas address.
Bring your bank’s routing number and account numbers if you plan on wiring money.

Documents
Get an international drivers license.
Bring your real DL, as for a few countries and US states, including Ohio and Belgium, you can get a local one based on your original, without a driving test (although a health checkup including a vision test is required).
Bring diplomas/degrees including teaching certifications.
Several posters have recommended getting the DL’s and diplomas endorsed or notarized (for a fee) by Taiwan’s pseudo-embassy back in the home country (incl. Oz) before coming here; only then were they recognized. I didn’t need this for my Ohio license or Illinois diploma, 10 years ago.
A dozen or so extra passport photos (and negative or digital copy) can be handy for applying for DL, work permit, etc., but can also be made here
Your Costco card.
Your eyeglasses prescription; consider bringing an extra pair too; frames here might not be your style.
Clip-on, non flip-up sunglasses.
Emergency contact information including relatives, pseudo-embassy in Taiwan, bank contact info to cancel VISA if lost, etc. Keep extra photocopies in separate locations, e.g., one in checked luggage, one in carry-on, one on person.
Chewing gum that won’t stick to partials or dentures. Freedent, etc.
Baby things
Teething gel
orthopedic sandals

Motorcyclists:
Be sure you’ve updated your will. Traffic is dangerous here. Be sure to read our Vroom Vroom section for tips on driving. If you already have a good, pricey helmet, consider bringing it. If you have a very long-oval head, especially a very large one (XXL+), bring your own helmet and an extra shield. Helmets tend to be very round here, and full-faced helms are not widely available over XXL. Armored clothing and gloves are pricey here too. Consider bringing leathers for Nov-Mar., good woolen sweaters and a woolen scarf; but leathers will require care (Lysol, oiling, dehumidifiers) to avoid molding. Armored and mesh jackets are increasingly available where big bikes are sold.

Foods not widely available here; bring if you can’t live without 'em, but much better to adapt to the local food (which is fantastic) and selection (which is ever-improving, especially in Taipei):

Your favorite ethnic spice mixes. If not coming to Taipei, consider bringing your entire spice rack with you. Some supermarkets in Taipei carry only white and black pepper, and salt. Others (incl. City Super in Far East Dept. store, bsmt., Dunhua Rd., other high-end supermarkets in major mall basements, and some specialty import groceries in Tianmu) have everything (except sometimes allspice or saffron, although they’re out there somewhere), and wider selections are becoming more common. If you cook often with allspice or saffron, BYO. Spices are hard to mail order due to local regulations, but friends or family can send them later, unmarked, and are lighter if put in plastic ziplock bags.

Instant mashed potatoes-- rare here.
Milky Ways, 3 Musketeers, TWIX…(if you have a favorite candy other than Snickers or M&M’s you probably will need to bring it)
Nesquick (they have Hershey’s syrup and Milo, but it’s not the same)
Hawaiian Punch mix.
Some sneak chorizo in.
Twinkies, dried cranberry, sun-dried tomatoes, spicy mango (Mexican), Thai and Mexican tamarind candies.
Browse the ‘where can I find’ topic, bring those things for people here, and you can make instant friends!

Sports & Rec.
Deet for camping
Tennis balls are 2x -3x as expensive here.
XXL(+) sports clothing/bras/shoes etc.

Electric/Electronic
Voltage is 110, US-style outlets.
Electric blanket!! A God-send on those chilly nights
Ergonomic keyboards
5 button mice.
Inexpensive computer stuff is available here, although some may be a few months later to the market, and some items may be more expensive; while others are cheaper. Apple items are pricier here and software less available.
English language software; availability here is limited and price sometimes higher.
Most consumer electronics including digital cameras are widely available here.
If you’re not coming to a large city and have a whole container to fill, consider bringing cordless items (drill, mini-vacuum, etc.), and ceramic heaters. These are available in Taipei, however.

Misc.
Home country?s postage stamps for SASE?s and if something needs remailing from there.
Plain white mailing envelopes
Thank-You Cards - If you’re a social dinosaur
Home brewing supplies are not available locally; although you can rig up with local food-grade plastic tubs, hosing and carboys, you might want to bring your racking tubes, valves, etc., along with dry ingredients. Mail order is possible.
Tolerance - Jumbo, warehouse, family-pak size.
one or two bags of mixed size, high-quality rubber bands. The local ones melt over time.

Things widely available here: (no need to bring extra)
Inexpensive clothing in medium to small sizes.
Inexpensive umbrellas.
most medicines

Things NOT to bring
Many small traveller?s checks.
Illegal drugs. Penalties range up to the death sentence.

Final note: You’ll have to weight this against the general recommendation of travelling light, and whether or not you have a container coming. If you end up gathering more than you can pack and bring, consider boxing up some of it in advance so that a relative or friend can conveniently send it by surface mail later if you need it.

And after you arrive, check out the “where can I find…” thread too.

(Thanks so much to all the contributors to this list!)

wow. :notworthy:

[quote=“erico”]if you take multi vitamins bring a lot.
they are really expensive in Taiwan.[/quote]
Indeed, multivitamins brought in from overseas are in big demand here. A lot of people ask me to bring Centrum whenever I return home because it’s so much cheaper in the US. Maybe I should start my own import business! :slight_smile:

Wellman’s in Tienmu (Jong Shan North Road, section 6, same side as Taipei American School, about a block and a half south, two doors from the Subway) has Reese Peanut Butter Cups.

So does Grandma Nitti’s in Shr Da.

Solved.

[quote] Instant mashed potatoes-- not to be found here [/quote

you can find them at costco sometimes. I bought a big box full of little bags (80 servings)about 2 years ago and they are almost gone.[/quote]

[quote]But in the US we have something to stop the itch of a bite (ammonia-based), dispensed from a pen-like applicator, and that’s really useful. Bring a couple.
[/quote]

Try fresh aloe vera, works a treat on mozzie bites. And there’s plenty of the leafy little fellers around too.

[quote]Bring your real DL, as you can get a local one based on that.*
[/quote]

Best to get the license endorsed by the quasi embassy back home.

When I went to get my license here and I showed him the Aussie license he said I needed it endorsed.

I asked where I should do that and he said, “Go back to Australia. and get it done there. Then come back here.” Can you believe that??? :fume: :fume:

“Sure, I’ll be back this afternoon. What time do you close.” :raspberry:

So I posted it off back home with explicit instructions on what needed to be done. The girl in the quasi embassy assured my friend that she didn’t need to send it registered post, so two weeks and $20AUD later, no license.

Every phone call met with, “give it a few more days” It’s been several months now. :fume: :fume: :fume:

I saved $5AUD. Thanks to the the kind lady, and now I have to post a whole heap of crap back to Oz to get another license issued. :fume: :fume:

Probably related to the girl in Taipei who kept my passport sitting in her office after I piad $1,000NT express post. :fume: :fume:

Sorry, I think I’m on the wrong channel. :blush:

Bring me to Taiwan!!!

I like twinkies, some others like Red Vine, I also asked my mom to bring me dried cranberry, spicy mango (Mexican type), anit-bacteria hand lotion (the one that actually smells good), TWIX!!!

Great list DragonBones.

Just a couple of things you might want to remove:
Ibuprofen if you take a lot; although availability is rising here.
-even the tiny old pharmacy near my house has this
calamine lotion
-ditto

Additions:
Towels - as someone mentioned - full-size towels are hard to find cheap
Tampons - apparently very hard to find

Brian

Is it just me or are thick, cheap cotton socks hard to find in Taiwan? Being Mr. GQ that I am, back in the States, I’d always just grab a twelve pack of cotton socks from a nearby department store for only several bucks. But here, the only socks I can seem to find are those flimsy socks that they sell at Baleno for like $70NT a pair. WTF?

[quote=“MiakaW”]Bring me to Taiwan!!!

I like twinkies, some others like Red Vine, I also asked my mom to bring me dried cranberry, spicy mango (Mexican type), anit-bacteria hand lotion (the one that actually smells good), TWIX!!![/quote]

Twix? The chocolate bar?

Available in Taiwan at most convenience stores. Just finished munching on one.

[quote=“Bu Lai En”]Great list DragonBones.
Additions:
Towels - as someone mentioned - full-size towels are hard to find cheap
Tampons - apparently very hard to find

Brian[/quote]

You can by cheap full-size towels at Ikea.

I just bought tampons at a 7-11 in rural Hualien County this last weekend. Pretty widely available these days I think.

Really? the inserty thingies, or just panty shields. Someone told me recently she couldn’t find themanywhere.

[quote]Twix? The chocolate bar?

Available in Taiwan at most convenience stores. Just finished munching on one.[/quote]

I don’t think 7-11 has Twix anymore (in Taipei anyway).

The insertie thingies.

Thanks to all, keep 'em coming. Mod’s, feel free to make the list sticky (ew, that sounds gross) whenever you want. I’ll put a “where can I find” tampons up, to double check on this one, since I’m ignorant on this issue.

Tennis balls are 2x -3x as expensive here. So are big block Chevy’s.

Also they don’t have black computer components,
or ergonomic keyboards or 5 button mice.

In general computer components are 2 -3 months
behind the US and 25% - 50% more expensive.

OTOH plumbers cost $100 an hour here, and $100 an hour in the US.
IN THE RESPECTIVE CURRENCIES!

The new ZhongHe Costco has pretty much everything a US Costco has,
though at 20- 30% markup.