Moving to Taiwan, what should I bring with me?

Thanks to all, keep 'em coming. Mod’s, feel free to make the list sticky (ew, that sounds gross) whenever you want. I’ll put a “where can I find” tampons up, to double check on this one, since I’m ignorant on this issue.

Tennis balls are 2x -3x as expensive here. So are big block Chevy’s.

Also they don’t have black computer components,
or ergonomic keyboards or 5 button mice.

In general computer components are 2 -3 months
behind the US and 25% - 50% more expensive.

OTOH plumbers cost $100 an hour here, and $100 an hour in the US.
IN THE RESPECTIVE CURRENCIES!

The new ZhongHe Costco has pretty much everything a US Costco has,
though at 20- 30% markup.

i’m sure that you can get tampons at more places than this, but you can defs get them at watsons (with and without applicators), geant and some 7/11s. they’re ‘ob’ brand. i haven’t had any difficulties buying them.
not sure if anyone has listed this (only skimmed thro the list), but i if you’re a woman and bigger than tiny, bring bras, especially sports bras. also swimmers if you don’t want nasty ones. anyone who knows where to get either of these, pls let me know.

I’ve never seen homeopathic medicines here. Anyone?

For that matter, Chinese patent medicine is hard to find here,
since much of it comes from PRC, you have to find someone making
a run to HK or to California.

Some of it can be mailed from the US cheap enough using those
Global Priority Mail flat rate envelopes ($5 and $9).
Same with vitamins, dump 'em out into a zip lock bag.

Incidentally, I think Costco has brooms.

Nice work Dragonbones. I wish the list was started about 18 months ago.

Having gone through my 40 foot container for awhile, I can add some things we discovered and reenforce some things mentioned. Since everyone travels differently, your milage may vary.

Note: I’m talking about East coast availability. I only made a couple of trips to Taipei, and large shopping runs were not an option.

–Don’t bring ‘Dry Clean Only’ clothes! If it can’t be washed, leave it behind.

Brooms - push type or regular. The ones here are way too short. I had to use pvc pipe to extend.
Cordless electric vac broom - great for dust bunnies
Cordless screwdriver and drill - low end units here are way over-priced
Ceramic heaters - big selection here but way over-priced
Electric blanket!! A God-send on those chilly nights
Spices - any!!
Chewing gum that won’t stick to partials or dentures. Freedent, etc.
Deodorant
Tins of ground coffee - lots of drip coffee makers here though.

More later

OOC

Thanks. I’ve tried to incorporate more “Taipei or big city vs. other”
comments.

Dry Cleaning is widely available in Taipei, however, including pickup and delivery. Is that not the case where you are? Where are you?

It sounds like you need to make some friends in Taipei who can do a shopping service for you and send things to you in boxes. You can probably find a fellow Forumosan interested in earning a small service fee for this. Most of what you list is available in Taipei, except for Freedent.

OH, still no one has answered my question, what is the average largest size available in women’s clothing and shoes here? I mean, in 19 out of 20 shops island-wide. And are there any big and tall venues in Taipei? How about availability of the items on the list in Gaoxiong (Kaohsiung)?
Tks.

I’m living in Ilan, but stayed in Hualien as well, and found the ‘dry cleaners’ were still using petrochemicals that went out of style 30 years ago. The old volatile synthetic solvents carbon tetrachloride and trichlorethylene have long since given way to a perchlorethylene (perc).

Do you know if they are using perc in Taipei? It sure isn’t in use here. The clothes reek of the ‘gasoline’ smell.

Oh, and the comforters and blankets they ‘dry clean’ get hung out front along the curb to air out the hydrocarbons, in the path of the car and scooter exhaust. That’s going on right next to the university here in Ilan.

OOC

I agree that most dry cleaners are crappy here. Since I don’t wear suits more than a few times a year I wait till I go back to Canada to dry clean them if possible.

Spices? You can find a full range of spices at City Super in the Far East Department store basement on Dunhua. Yes, even saffron. They also have fresh herbs like rosemary, basil, coriander, thyme.

1. Bose noise cancelation headphones
  2. Life insurance policy
  3. Anti-depresent meds
  4. Return plane ticket home

No joke, a lot need anti-depressants the first 3/4 year (or longer?).
Earplugs are mandatory, as TWN is 10 times louder than … Germany at least.

Take a last deep breath or breathable air (here in summer it is more a scooter-smog soup) and off you go.

:laughing: Yeah, but these are available here.

[quote=“Dragonbones”]OK, I’m making up a master list, perhaps for future posting or sticky.
Here’s my list in progress; I’ll edit it rather than reposting, based on subsequent comments.

Recommendations for what to bring to Taiwan
(compiled from many fellow posters, thanks to all!)

Special Needs
If you have special needs of any kind, from custom orthopedic shoes to large illuminated magnifying readers, BYO (bring your own).

Clothing
Inexpensive casual wear is widely available here in smallish Asian sizes. If you are petite, short, thin or average, you’ll do fine here.

But if you are big or tall, BYO including extra undies, bras, sportswear, sportsbras, socks, belts, shoes, sandals, house slippers, beach flipflops, swimwear, wetsuits – you name it! GAP-type places max out around a 37-38 waist for men

You’re quite welcome!

It’s widely available at local pharmacies; the Chinese name is An1-na4-fu1-ruan3-gao1, 安那膚軟膏. My tube also has “Neosporin” printed on it; the ingred’s are Bacitracin, Neomycin and Polymyxin B.

sd