Moving to Taiwan with my 5 and 8 year old

[quote=“Petrichor”][quote=“Feiren”]

BTW, I doubt that the ‘bilingual’ public schools are very bilingual. I think the main point is that they have special help for kids whose native language is not Chinese. Other than that, they will be pretty monolingual (Mandarin). But others may know more about this.[/quote]

If you mean Xinsheng and similar state schools, I agree.

Also agree on your other point about not living in the wider New Taipei City. Areas of Wenshan are nice, e.g. Wanfang Community and where we live in Muzha isn’t too bad. But hopefully the OP will see for herself when she comes out next year.[/quote]

Thank you for all your suggestions! They are all greatly appreciated! Someone else suggested Xinsheng. Do the bilingual schools cost money? If so, do you know roughly how much per year?
Can you please help me understand what do you mean by a “mountain” school? Do you mean a school that is not close to the busy city?

I will definitely look into all the places suggested!

One of the most fun (and frustrating things) here is when I’m out with ABC friends. Every waiter, 7-11 clerk, food vendor, etc., looks to the Asians to communicate, but I’m the only one who speaks Chinese :laughing: I tell them directly, HE DOES NOT SPEAK ANY CHINESE, but they just can’t bring themselves to let me translate. Then they try horrible English with me, as if that will help. It’s frustrating for them and for me…“Why does he keep asking me!?” :doh:

[quote=“ariel7120”] Someone else suggested Xinsheng. Do the bilingual schools cost money? If so, do you know roughly how much per year?
[/quote]
Xinsheng is a public elementary school. All public schools are cheap, no more than NT$10,000 per semester I’d say.

Not mountain school, but forest school (森林小學). It’s so called because they’re usually located in a rural environment close to nature. But more than the location factor, forest schools are experimental schools that offer a more well rounded education than the conventional, academically focused schools.

[quote=“ariel7120”][quote=“Petrichor”][quote=“Feiren”]

BTW, I doubt that the ‘bilingual’ public schools are very bilingual. I think the main point is that they have special help for kids whose native language is not Chinese. Other than that, they will be pretty monolingual (Mandarin). But others may know more about this.[/quote]

If you mean Xinsheng and similar state schools, I agree.

Also agree on your other point about not living in the wider New Taipei City. Areas of Wenshan are nice, e.g. Wanfang Community and where we live in Muzha isn’t too bad. But hopefully the OP will see for herself when she comes out next year.[/quote]

Thank you for all your suggestions! They are all greatly appreciated! Someone else suggested Xinsheng. Do the bilingual schools cost money? If so, do you know roughly how much per year?
Can you please help me understand what do you mean by a “mountain” school? Do you mean a school that is not close to the busy city?

I will definitely look into all the places suggested![/quote]

Xinsheng Elementary School is located in Da an, but it must accept children from all over Taipei City if they have Chinese as a second language. The method for enrolling (this information is 3/4 years old) is to live somewhere in Taipei City and register at the nearest public elementary school, then request a transfer to Xinsheng. The child can stay at Xinsheng for up to two years before transferring back to the original school.

Xinsheng offers remedial Chinese tuition for children who have no Chinese, about one hour a day. The rest of the time the child attends normal classes. Xinsheng is a big school, which put me off it. Due to its location in one of the most expensive parts of Taipei it’s also highly sought after by Taiwanese parents.

ETA: It isn’t a bilingual school the same as the private, highly competitive bilingual schools, which teach part of the day in English.

[quote=“Feiren”]

Xinsheng Elementary School is located in Da’an, but it must accept children from all over Taipei City if they have Chinese as a second language. The method for enrolling (this information is 3/4 years old) is to live somewhere in Taipei City and register at the nearest public elementary school, then request a transfer to Xinsheng. The child can stay at Xinsheng for up to two years before transferring back to the original school.

Xinsheng offers remedial Chinese tuition for children who have no Chinese, about one hour a day. The rest of the time the child attends normal classes. Xinsheng is a big school, which put me off it. Due to its location in one of the most expensive parts of Taipei it’s also highly sought after by Taiwanese parents.[/quote]

Regarding Xinsheng school- are you sure they will accept any child with Chinese as a second language? Considering my children don’t speak Mandarin, will the academics be just as competitive and full of pressure or will they cut them some “slack”? I will definitely visit this school when I am there. Also, you mentioned I can live anywhere in Taipei city and my children can get in. What is considered Taipei City? Are their “counties” within Taipei City if I was to look for apartments? Sorry but I am not familiar with Taipei at all. I would like to live in Da’an but looking at the rental prices, that is not within my budget considering I may not be able to find a job while in Taiwan and I don’t want to blow through my savings.

I just looked at the Mountain schools you mentioned- Datun and Hutian which look like great options for my kids but they are very far! What areas/ towns are they in if I was looking for apartments? How do I travel to Taipei if I needed to get there? You also mentioned Humanities Primary School in Toucheng which is very far from Taipei too. Are these mountain schools the closest to Taipei?

I guess I need to chose whether to live in the city (which I am more used to) and have my kids attend competitive schools or live in a rural (and distant) place but my children will get the education catered to their needs. hmmmmm.
Thank you.

I will try to give Xinsheng a call to ask about admission there.

I suspect that Xinsheng will be pretty competitive and have more pressure because it is located in an elite area where academics are a big focus. The parents will probably put pressure on the school to drive the kids harder. That’s the case for most schools in these areas of central Taipei. Keep in mind though that at least the first few years of elementary school are usually much less intense than what comes later.

Yes, Da’an is very expensive, perhaps the most expensive area of Taipei. Taipei City is made up districts. There are 12 districts. The rents in Wanhua, Wenshan, Datong, and Beitou should be somewhat less expensive than Da’an. You can check the Wikipedia article on Taiepi for a list of the districts.

If your kids went to Datun, you should look for a place in Beitou. The small 6 bus runs from Beitou MRT station to Datun School every 20 minutes. It looks to me like it is about 30 minute ride. Bus info in English here: 5284.com.tw/Dybus.aspx?Lang=En

If you kids to Hutian, you should look for housing in Shilin district, specifically in the Yangmingshan area. These are beautiful mountains north of the city. You would probably want to live near or in the Shanzihou community near Chinese Cultural University or possibly in Zhuzihu near the school. There is a supermarket in Shanzihou. The bus ride to Taipei is 45 minutes depending on traffic.

Of the two, Datun/Beihou is more realistic both for cheaper housing and more convenient transportation.

The Humanities Primary School in Toucheng is not as far from Taipei as you think. You can reach Taipei in about 50 minutes non-peak traffic through the Snow Mountain tunnel. Ilan city is also a sizable city 20 minutes away.

No, Datun and Hutian are not the closest forest/mountain schools from Da’an. Gong Guan elementary school is an urban “forest” school that I’ve heard good things about from foreign friends who sent their kids there. oldweb.gges.tp.edu.tw/English/english.html

If your kids went to Gong Guan, you should look for housing in the Wenshan area just to the south. The rents should be somewhat cheaper than Da’an.

Finally. I would urge you to wait until you arrive before renting a place–you may not be able to do so from overseas for anything but higher end real estate anyway. You really need to look at the apartments here before you rent–the affordable ones in Taipei tend to be older and many foreign residents are pretty unhappy about them (I think they are fine once you get used to them). You will get far better value in a place like Toucheng than in Taipei.

Is the plan to come in time for school to start this upcoming September?

Thank you so much for all this great information! I will definitely look into all the schools you’ve mentioned. I did come across Gongguan yesterday in someone’s blog and that one looks like a good option too. Thank you very much for telling me what districts I need to live in. That is most helpful! Two more schools I came across was Guting and Shi-Da. Do you know anything about them?

I am planning this for next September 2016. (Yes I am an early planner). I think this year is too rushed and I don’t want to go midyear. Besides, it gives me another year to save. I plan to go back to Taiwan April of next year to check out all the suggestions and make my final decision of whether or not I want to bring my kids there.

Again, thank you very much for all the details!

Guting and Shida are elementary schools in central Taipei near the university districts.

I know that Guting is considered to be a desirable elementary school by many Taiwanese parents. That probably means high academic standards and more pressure. Gutng is located at right by the TaiPower MRT stop but on the location of two very large multilane roads. I’d be concerned about the levels of pollution and noise. You could look for housing in Wenshan but I’m not sure you can enroll at Guting if you don’t live in its catchment area. It’s in Da’an and the area is expensive.

I don’t know anything about Shida. Do you mean National Taipei University of Education
Experimental Elementary School? That’s a school affiliated with a teacher’s college. They are usually considered to be very good. Again it’s in Da’an and an expensive area.

In 2016 your older child will be nine. He/she could have a tough time adjusting to a Taiwanese elementary school at that age. What about Taipei Municipal Nangang Elementary School (nkps.tp.edu.tw/)? Maybe your older child could go to the bilingual class and the younger to the ordinary program. Nangang is a less expensive area of Taipei.

[quote=“ariel7120”]

Regarding Xinsheng school- are you sure they will accept any child with Chinese as a second language? Considering my children don’t speak Mandarin, will the academics be just as competitive and full of pressure or will they cut them some “slack”? I will definitely visit this school when I am there. Also, you mentioned I can live anywhere in Taipei city and my children can get in. What is considered Taipei City? Are their “counties” within Taipei City if I was to look for apartments? Sorry but I am not familiar with Taipei at all. I would like to live in Da’an but looking at the rental prices, that is not within my budget considering I may not be able to find a job while in Taiwan and I don’t want to blow through my savings.

I just looked at the Mountain schools you mentioned- Datun and Hutian which look like great options for my kids but they are very far! What areas/ towns are they in if I was looking for apartments? How do I travel to Taipei if I needed to get there? You also mentioned Humanities Primary School in Toucheng which is very far from Taipei too. Are these mountain schools the closest to Taipei?

I guess I need to chose whether to live in the city (which I am more used to) and have my kids attend competitive schools or live in a rural (and distant) place but my children will get the education catered to their needs. hmmmmm.
Thank you.[/quote]

I wish we still had the recommend button for Feiren’s post.

When we looked into Xinsheng 3/4 years ago, they had to accept children from Taipei City who had Chinese as a second language. It was part of their remit. I doubt that’s changed. However, bear in mind that if you don’t live in Da’an the commute could become onerous as it’s one of the busier areas of Taipei.

Xinsheng will be one of the more pressured schools because it’s in an expensive area and it’s oversubscribed. As a caveat to earlier comments, I want to add that children who don’t speak Chinese may not feel that pressure because the teachers will have very low expectations of them. Teachers here are mostly very willing to ignore children who don’t do well academically. In most classes it’s a sink or swim attitude. Perhaps that’s a little harsh. Taiwanese teachers often have little or no training in meeting the needs of children who don’t fit the mold, and maybe there’s little or no expectation of them to do so.

My son attended Gong Guan for one year and I purposefully didn’t mention the school because all in all his experience there wasn’t good. Gong Guan is situated near several universities and many lecturers send their children there. During my son’s time at the school he became the other children’s English speaking practice tool, encouraged by their parents. One child actually told me he was so glad my son was in his class because he could practise his English. A Swiss German-speaking child who was in his class, who didn’t speak English when she arrived, had far better English than Chinese when she left (she was white so the children assumed she spoke English). The first teacher my son had entirely - I mean that literally - entirely ignored him, allowing him to read English books, leave the class or do whatever he liked. She even refused to give him things he could do, such as Maths tests. His second teacher was better, and I made friends among the parents who are still friends today, but in the end we realised our son was never going to learn Chinese at the school. I would go to pick him up to find him talking with children three grades older than him, not friends, just kids who wanted to practise their English.

It’s a very good idea to plan ahead and I hope you manage to find somewhere you’re happy with. I know how hard and stressful it is when you’re trying to do this from overseas.

[quote=“ariel7120”]I need some advice for anyone who’s been in my situation.

1. How difficult do you think it would be for my 5 and 8 year old to live and attend public school in Taiwan with the knowledge (of me and my kids) I indicated above?
  2. I do not wish to send them to international schools. How and when do I register for public school?
  3. Can anyone suggest a good public school that they’ve attended? Or know ones that are open to accept students in my situation?
  4. Is there an option to leave my 8 year old behind a grade once in Taiwan so it might be an easier process for her?
  5. What are some “nice” and safe places to live in Taiwan considering I am a mom traveling with 2 young children?
  6. Do you think there will be a culture shock for us? (I haven’t been back to Taiwan since 2006 and only stayed a week)
    [/quote]

Hi Ariel, I can comment on some of your questions above as I was in a similar situation as your older kid when I was his age, but that was in 1980. In that year my family (two parents and two 9 and 12 year old boys who had never learned Mandarin before) had a similar plan like you, that is move back to Taiwan from overseas for some time, maybe even permanently. As far as culture shock goes, there probably will be some for you and your kids, even though Taiwan hasn’t changed that much from 2006. However, your kids will adapt very very quickly, so you need not worry too much about them. For you as their parent it may be more difficulty assuming you’re not a native Mandarin speaker. That will make things like communicating with teachers, school administration, etc much more difficult and inefficient. In our case, my parents were native speakers despite having lived for 10+ years abroad, so that was not an issue. Also, in 1980 Taiwan was really a very different country from today, a developing country with significantly lower living standards compared to the West. It was dirty, highly chaotic, traffic was 100 times worse than today, and on top of that it was a highly undemocratic authoritarian state where school life, text books, etc was filled with KMT propaganda, school kids would get physically punished for anything but perfect grades or for just saying something “unpatriotic”, while getting a perfect grade in music class for singing a patriotic song in front of the class, things like that. Today, the gap in living standards to a western country is much smaller, it may be negligible or even be non-existent if you live in a good neighborhood in Taipei.

Both of us children were enrolled in public schools in Muzha. However, my brother’s situation was very different from mine since he went to a junior high school while I went to third grade in elementary school which was so much easier in so many respects. There was some gang forming and bullying by said gangs going on at my brother’s school. I don’t know how much of a problem that still is today, but at least I can say that in third grade I never experienced any kind of bullying (however, I believe this does happen more often nowadays). We ended up staying only for that one year which I regretted at the time because I was beginning to like life in Taiwan and enjoying school then. My brother, at 12 years, didn’t adapt so well, naturally, he only excelled at English, but was lost in most other subjects. It was clear he would have a very hard time academically if we stayed in Taiwan. So we went back to Europe.

Now, as far as my experience at a public school in Taipei goes, it was good overall. I’m sure a big reason for that was that the school was a 示範國小, a kind of exemplary elementary school where children of teachers and professors of the nearby Chengda university were enrolled. I believe the teaching methods, and general experience in that school was closer to the standard at public elementary schools of today, save for the constant political propaganda of 1980. There definitely was no corporal punishments at that school.

If your purpose for your stay is mainly for your kids to immerse themselves in a Chinese language environment and to learn Chinese, I’d say you can do nothing wrong by sending your kids to pre-school or public schools in Taipei. They will pick up the language very quickly, though they will also forget a good chunk of it if you return to the US after only a year (speaking from personal experience). At 8 years of age (meaning entering second grade of elementary school), your older kid will naturally not be able to quickly catch up academically with the local kids, but catching up should not be at the top of your mind at this early stage anyway. By starting at eight, chances are he will eventually catch up, but it might take a couple more years. The focus should be on Chinese language acquisition and for that purpose he should also attend the Chinese classes of the first grade. That’s exactly what the school did with me me when I entered third grade, sent me to Chinese class in first and second grade where I had a lot of time learning bopomofo with my juniors. I also had my personal Chinese tutor at the school who gave me one-on-one tutoring in the beginning.

Nowadays, I believe that school life even at elementary school is probably much more competitive than in 1980 when kids knew nothing about bopomofo when they entered first grade. Now all the kids are much smarter than when we were kids (my own older kid is entering first grade this year). They already have their bopomofo under their belt and even some basic Chinese reading skills when they graduate from pre-school. So, it may be a little rougher ride for your 8-year old. However, if you don’t care about catching up academically and only focus on the Chinese learning, you need not worry. I never did any catching up, flunked most subjects except math and athletics. But I didn’t care much about the grades during that year (that would have been totally pointless), fortunately neither did my parents and I still had a lot of fun during that year. When I got back to Germany, I didn’t even lose a year, went straight into 4th grade and all was fine in the end. My brother had to repeat one year. Good luck to you! :slight_smile:

[quote=“Feiren”]
In 2016 your older child will be nine. He/she could have a tough time adjusting to a Taiwanese elementary school at that age. What about Taipei Municipal Nangang Elementary School (nkps.tp.edu.tw/)? Maybe your older child could go to the bilingual class and the younger to the ordinary program. Nangang is a less expensive area of Taipei.[/quote]

HI

In 2016, my child will have just turned 8 (in June) and would be attending 3rd grade in the US. However, I was thinking of holding her back a year if we were to go to Taiwan. Hopefully 2nd grade in Taiwan won’t be as competitive??? I’ve started to teach her bopomofo and she recognizes the letters and knows the sounds. I don’t think that is enough but hopefully we will see how that goes by next year.

Bilingual class- I think it defeats the purpose of my mission there. If she relies on someone speaking English during class, she may never pick anything up. Also, Bilinguals schools costs money (may not be as expensive as International schools) but if I am not working, then it won’t fit into my budget.

[quote=“ariel7120”][quote=“Feiren”]
In 2016 your older child will be nine. He/she could have a tough time adjusting to a Taiwanese elementary school at that age. What about Taipei Municipal Nangang Elementary School (nkps.tp.edu.tw/)? Maybe your older child could go to the bilingual class and the younger to the ordinary program. Nangang is a less expensive area of Taipei.[/quote]

HI

In 2016, my child will have just turned 8 (in June) and would be attending 3rd grade in the US. However, I was thinking of holding her back a year if we were to go to Taiwan. Hopefully 2nd grade in Taiwan won’t be as competitive??? I’ve started to teach her bopomofo and she recognizes the letters and knows the sounds. I don’t think that is enough but hopefully we will see how that goes by next year.

Bilingual class- I think it defeats the purpose of my mission there. If she relies on someone speaking English during class, she may never pick anything up. Also, Bilinguals schools costs money (may not be as expensive as International schools) but if I am not working, then it won’t fit into my budget.[/quote]

My son was the same age as yours when we arrived. We dropped him a grade (after a semester with the teacher who ignored him). He did succeed eventually and he’ll be starting grade six in a couple of weeks. It was tough going at times, though. I think that age is probably the oldest you can expect a child to catch up within two/three years. My son’s Chinese still isn’t great but he can do everything his classmates do and he’s happy at school.

[quote=“Petrichor”]

My son was the same age as yours when we arrived. We dropped him a grade (after a semester with the teacher who ignored him). He did succeed eventually and he’ll be starting grade six in a couple of weeks. It was tough going at times, though. I think that age is probably the oldest you can expect a child to catch up within two/three years. My son’s Chinese still isn’t great but he can do everything his classmates do and he’s happy at school.[/quote]

Thank you, that is very reassuring! :slight_smile:
I know it will be tough and I’ve explained it to her. Hopefully I can hear more success stories of others in the same shoe. I wish I could come this September but I wasn’t planning on it at all until lots of other things factored in.

[quote=“GC Rider”]

Now, as far as my experience at a public school in Taipei goes, it was good overall. I’m sure a big reason for that was that the school was a 示範國小, a kind of exemplary elementary school where children of teachers and professors of the nearby Chengda university were enrolled. I believe the teaching methods, and general experience in that school was closer to the standard at public elementary schools of today, save for the constant political propaganda of 1980. There definitely was no corporal punishments at that school.

If your purpose for your stay is mainly for your kids to immerse themselves in a Chinese language environment and to learn Chinese, I’d say you can do nothing wrong by sending your kids to pre-school or public schools in Taipei. They will pick up the language very quickly, though they will also forget a good chunk of it if you return to the US after only a year (speaking from personal experience). At 8 years of age (meaning entering second grade of elementary school), your older kid will naturally not be able to quickly catch up academically with the local kids, but catching up should not be at the top of your mind at this early stage anyway. By starting at eight, chances are he will eventually catch up, but it might take a couple more years. The focus should be on Chinese language acquisition and for that purpose he should also attend the Chinese classes of the first grade. That’s exactly what the school did with me me when I entered third grade, sent me to Chinese class in first and second grade where I had a lot of time learning bopomofo with my juniors. I also had my personal Chinese tutor at the school who gave me one-on-one tutoring in the beginning.

Nowadays, I believe that school life even at elementary school is probably much more competitive than in 1980 when kids knew nothing about bopomofo when they entered first grade. Now all the kids are much smarter than when we were kids (my own older kid is entering first grade this year). They already have their bopomofo under their belt and even some basic Chinese reading skills when they graduate from pre-school. So, it may be a little rougher ride for your 8-year old. However, if you don’t care about catching up academically and only focus on the Chinese learning, you need not worry. I never did any catching up, flunked most subjects except math and athletics. But I didn’t care much about the grades during that year (that would have been totally pointless), fortunately neither did my parents and I still had a lot of fun during that year. When I got back to Germany, I didn’t even lose a year, went straight into 4th grade and all was fine in the end. My brother had to repeat one year. Good luck to you! :slight_smile:[/quote]

Thanks GC Rider for the reassurance. Yes my main purpose to go to Taiwan is for them to pick up the language. I don’t expect my 8 year old to catch up but I am hoping that she will grasp the math and that she won’t get discouraged with teachers that ignore her and thus have no interest in learning anything else let alone Mandarin. I’ve already taught her bopomofo and she recognizes them and can put them together to sound out the words. I know that is not enough when entering the 2nd or 3rd grade but hope that will somewhat help? I am not sure what reading level the 2nd graders are at. Do they read with bopomofo in 2nd grade or is it completely eliminated by then?

I figure if it becomes a real nightmare and no one is getting anything out of our time there, we will just attend the one year of school and come back to the states. If all goes well, then we may stay a couple more years and return when she is in middle school. I just hope I don’t do anything detrimental to my kid’s future.

Hi Ariel7120 and others,
Just when I didn’t think it possible, I feel like I just found my micro-community :slight_smile: Like you, moving to Taiwan solo in January 2016 with my 6 and 8 year old. I am an American-born Taiwanese planning to establish my dual citizenship next year while exposing my children to our motherland/relatives/Mandarin language and so on. My kids are half American/Taiwanese and half caucasian. None of us speak Mandarin beyond simple greetings and a few songs my mom taught them. We are now trying to plan for the move and unfortunately a mid-year move is my only option. Other than that key difference, every question you’ve asked has followed my train of thought and sentiments exactly. Thank you for sharing your question and to all who have chimed in with meaty, insightful advice. For example, it hadn’t yet crossed my mind to consider holding the kids back a year, thus allowing them some time to fully concentrate on language and cultural transition. I also hadn’t heard of forest or mountain schools and am interested in more whole-child learning, which sounds like a rarity there. And finally, my mom encouraged me to live in Taichung to be closer to (distant) relatives…but from what I’ve learned here, that may not be wise if I do not plan on scootering or driving as it sounds like there is not much metro system there afterall… Mind. Blown. Aaaaand back to the drawing board.

In any case it is reassuring to see there are others tackling the exact same issues I am facing, right here and right now. Where to live, what type of school to choose, my plan to rely on 100% public transportation, building a budget for the new normal, ensuring a good balance of language immersion with progress toward our eventual return to US school systems after Taiwan, finding work…

If it’s ok with you, as I continue to prepare for my move I will post new findings in this thread in the hopes of contributing and benefiting from this valuable information exchange.

Susan

Another Question-
Does anyone know if my kids can attend public schools in Taiwan if they hold American passports while I hold a Taiwanese passport? Since it may be more of a hassle for me to apply for their passport, I’m wondering if I can just skip this step all together. Can they attend public schools there without a Taiwanese passport and we just do visa runs every 180 days? What is the policy of kids attending public school? Do they need to be residents of Taiwan or can they attend school with just a visitor’s visa?

Hi ariel7120,

Department of Education, Taipei City Government says as follows.

F:How can the child of a foreign resident in Taipei City be enrolled in an elementary school?
A:Please bring a copy of your Alien Residence Permit to your local school to apply for a transfer. If the school has no vacancies and an average of 35 students per class, you will need to transfer to another nearby school that still has vacancies for students.
F::從國外回來的外國籍學童(國小學生),應如何申請就讀公立小學?
A:從國外回來的外國籍學童,如係一年級學生,應檢送申請書及外僑居留影本,依居留地址向學區學校申請入學。如為二年級以上之學生,則需檢附相關學歷證明、居留證影本,向學區學校申請入學。

You have a Taiwanese passport, so your children are not “the children of a foreign resident”, but are 外國籍學童 in Mandarin part.
When my son enrolled in a private school, I needed to submit a copy of his ARC to the school. Taiwanese kids submitted copies of their hukous.

Besides, I think your children need ARCs to enroll in the National Health Insurance. If you will have a private insurance for them, this may not be your concern.

[quote=“ariel7120”]Another Question-
Does anyone know if my kids can attend public schools in Taiwan if they hold American passports while I hold a Taiwanese passport? Since it may be more of a hassle for me to apply for their passport, I’m wondering if I can just skip this step all together. Can they attend public schools there without a Taiwanese passport and we just do visa runs every 180 days? What is the policy of kids attending public school? Do they need to be residents of Taiwan or can they attend school with just a visitor’s visa?[/quote]

Officially, children can’t attend school on a visitor’s visa. However, I have known of schools admitting students ‘while they wait for the ARC to be issued’. To be on the safe side, your children need to have an ARC or a Taiwanese passport.

Thanks Petrichor
Now I need to see which is more of a hassle to get for them here in the US.

You might already know, but you can get their visitor visa in US first, then change it to ARC in Taiwan.