Moving to Taiwan with my 5 and 8 year old

Here’s a map of kindergartens in the area of Datun Elementary.

The closest private one appears to be 潘蜜拉幼兒園 (Pamela Kindergarten). They are registered with Taipei City. Here are their contact details

臺北市北投區中和里12鄰大屯路11巷16號1樓. 聯絡電話. (02)2892-1534.

1F, No. 16, Lane 11 Datun Road, Beitou District, Taipei City. 886 2 2892 1534 if you are dialing from the US.

There is a facebook page here.

They appear to be in a free standing building which is rare here.

It looks like you can get between the schools on the small 6 bus. A scooter would be much easier. They are just 2.4km apart.

If you can’t get your younger child into the Beitun kindergarten, maybe you could try Pamela.

[quote=“Feiren”]Wikipedia has a good explanation of household registration systems like the one in Taiwan. They are rare (nonexistent?) in the English speaking world, they are common in Europe and East Asia. Also see the Taiwan section in this article. Taiwan’s also has social control functions but is nowhere near as scary as China’s.

Household registration is very important though especially in your situation. If you are on your parents’ household registry, this is the basis for obtaining a Taiwan ID card. The combination of household registration, a Taiwan ID card, and an ordinary Taiwan passport ID card makes you a full citizen of Taiwan. Do you have a Taiwan ID?

You need to figure out whether this is your status or if you are in the lesser class of Republic of China citizens with no or limited rights to live in Taiwan. It may well be possible to ‘upgrade’ now or after you are in Taiwan but there is a lot of paper work.[/quote]

Also check “National without household registration” and “National Identification Card (Republic of China)” on Wikipedia.
If you have National Identification Card (=Taiwan ID card ~household registration), you can be a sponsor of your children’s ARCs with less paper work. If you don’t have it, you need more work.

In either case, it will be a lot of paper work, but there is a regular procedure. As far as you know what documents you need, and prepare them correctly, it is not very difficult.

If you don’t have Taiwan ID card,
Overseas Community Affairs Council, Republic of China (Taiwan) may give you a correct answer and some kind of support which you need.
“Regulations Regarding Study and Counseling Assistance for Overseas Chinese”, and “Immigration Act” Chapters 3 & 4 will help you to figure out what you should do for your children to study in Taiwan.

No, they (public kinders) don’t accept kids more than their capacity. When there are applicants more than capacity, they draw lots to decide who can enroll.

[quote=“ariel7120”]
If I don’t have a place to live yet, how does this work? [/quote]
To get a residence permission (any kinds), you need an address, which can be changed later in Taiwan.

Large school district is applied to many of “Mountain Schools” including Datun. Any kids in Taipei City (and maybe part of New Taipei City) can apply for those schools.
Besides that, a foreign student (a child with ARC) can apply for any school in Taipei. Officially, a foreign student can enroll in any school, if the school is not full. Practically, enrollment of a foreign student is Principal’s discretion.

[quote=“ariel7120”]
When I applied for my Taiwan passport, I didn’t enter a relative’s address and left it blank. Does this mean I do not have a household registration? Would this cause any problems? [/quote]
If you wrote your National Identification Number on your passport application form, you have a Taiwan ID card and household registration. If not, you do not have a full Taiwanese citizenship.

As Feiren wrote, you should know what is your status, before going to the next step.
As you understand if you already read articles in Wikipedia, household registration is not just your address, but your citizenship.

[quote=“CrapeMyrtle”]

The first day of the second semester is Feb. 15, 2016.
The first day of winter vacation is Jan. 21, 2016.[/quote]

Are you saying kids have a 3 week vacation in Taiwan? From 1/21/16-2/14/16? If yes, I assume they have this 3 week winter break every year? :discodance:

[quote=“Feiren”]

Household registration is very important though especially in your situation. If you are on your parents’ household registry, this is the basis for obtaining a Taiwan ID card. The combination of household registration, a Taiwan ID card, and an ordinary Taiwan passport ID card makes you a full citizen of Taiwan. Do you have a Taiwan ID?

You need to figure out whether this is your status or if you are in the lesser class of Republic of China citizens with no or limited rights to live in Taiwan. It may well be possible to ‘upgrade’ now or after you are in Taiwan but there is a lot of paper work.[/quote]

I have a Taiwan passport and a Taiwan ID (which is located on my Taiwan Passport). I don’t actually have a physically Taiwan ID Card.
I don’t think I am on my parent’s household registry considering they have been living in the States with me for 30+ years.

This entire thing is so confusing to me! :cry:

[quote=“CrapeMyrtle”]

[quote=“ariel7120”]
When I applied for my Taiwan passport, I didn’t enter a relative’s address and left it blank. Does this mean I do not have a household registration? Would this cause any problems? [/quote]
If you wrote your National Identification Number on your passport application form, you have a Taiwan ID card and household registration. If not, you do not have a full Taiwanese citizenship.

As Feiren wrote, you should know what is your status, before going to the next step.
As you understand if you already read articles in Wikipedia, household registration is not just your address, but your citizenship.[/quote]

I think it’s time to give TECO NY another visit!

Every year, 2-month summer vacation and about 3-week winter vacation.
Summer vacation is always July and August.
Winter vacation is around chinese new year holidays, so the date is not fixed.

The first day of the 2nd semester could be before the winter vacation, if Chinese new year is late February as was this year.

So, I went to visit TECO NY yesterday with my parents and after 1.5 hours of explanation, here is what I’ve learned. Please let me know if this sounds correct or if there is anything I may be missing.

Instead of a resident visa and ARC for my kids, I’ve decided to apply for Taiwanese passports for them. At first I thought the passport process might be too complicated, but I think overall it is easiest which allows us to stay long term and come in and out of the country. For the resident visa and ARC, I would have to check with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs’ office (BOCA?) each time I want to leave Taiwan whether or not I can return… depending on what kind of Visa they gave me whether it is single or multiple entry. So, to apply for a passport these are the steps I need to take.

1. Both me and my husband need to have an up to date Taiwan passport.
  2. Translated marriage certificate, translated kid’s birth certificate and sealed health checkup reports for my kids. Health check up forms need to be sealed with doctor’s office stamp or signature in back on an official envelope from doc’s office.
  3. Bring the above three documents to TECO NY for them to verify and stamp. It should be returned to me in a week.
  4. Bring these three documents to Taiwan. There is a 30 or 60 day expiration for these documents. If I don’t go to Taiwan within the allowed time, my verified documents will expire and be of no use.
  5. My husband and I will go to Taiwan using the Taiwan Passport and my kids will use their American Passport.
  6. Once in Taiwan, the first thing I need to do is “activate” my registration? I’m guessing this is the Hukou?
  7. Second thing to do is go register my marriage in Taiwan using the verified document from TECO.
  8. After steps 6 and 7, go apply for Taiwan passport for my kids and get it within a few weeks.

Does anyone have any experience doing the above? What is the average turn around time for getting a Taiwan passport when in Taiwan?
I’m a little nervous because I am basically going to Taiwan “unprepared”. I am assuming they will get their passports and we will be able to live long term. I am assuming the school’s will accept them. I am assuming this will all be smooth sailing.
Also, does anyone know what is the age for boys to be drafted? Since my son will hold a Taiwan passport, at what age would they not allow him to leave the country?

Please let me know your past experiences, thoughts, comments or suggestions. thanks.

“Visa & residency Issues” and/or “Dual Nationality” forums may be better places to ask those questions.

You may want to know about several different issues.
1 Activate your household registration
2 Register your marriage
3 Register your children in your Hukou
4 Draft issue

There may be some info for each of them in the above forums.

There’s nothing to worry about in that department. The government is scrapping the compulsory military service and changing it to a 100% voluntary military service. They were going to institute it at the end of this year, but too few people signed up, :ponder: so it’ll be delayed a couple years, but it’s not an issue for an 8-year-old boy.

IF all of your documents are all in order, passport issuance will be very efficient.

[quote=“Feiren”]

Do you have a Taiwan ID and household registration? You probably do since you were born here but you should check. In general, you are a full citizen with the right to reside in Taiwan only if you have a TW passport, Taiwan ID, and household registration.

Your children will need an ARC to enroll in local public schools.

To get an ARC, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs or one of its overseas offices will have to issue your children a resident visa.

I’m pretty sure that if your children make a visa-exempt entry that your children will not be issued a resident visa in Taiwan. Read the rules for visa exampt entries here carefully including the notes.

The correct way to do this is to apply for a visitor or resident visa in the US. The purpose should probably be ‘minor under 20 joining parents’ (i.e. you). Check with TECO in NY about this. Explain your status: I have a Taiwan passport, ID, and household residence, and I want to move back to Taiwan and enroll my children in local public schools. What kind of visa should I apply for and what purpose should I use.

There are going to be a bunch of documentary requirements. Read the requirements carefully, noting where original documents and copies are required and what documents need to be authenticated. You’re going to need an ORIGINAL copy of your Taiwan household registration, original birth certificates etc and possibly proof of custody if you are not married. It’s a real pain but there is no way around this, so get started early (but note that some documents must have been issued withing three months of the date of visa application). Call the office in the US if you have any questions.

Oh, and it’s expensive for US citizens: US$160 per visa because that’s what we charge Taiwanese citizens.

After your children arrive in Taiwan with on a resident visa or obtain one in Taiwan, you will need to get ARC for them from the National Immigration Agency. Check the documentary requirements there as well and leave yourself enough time to get the ARCs before school starts–at least a couple of weeks. The ARC will probably need to be obtained wherever your household registration and this may effect where you can enroll your children.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Taiwanese bureaucracy! Actually, it’s pretty efficient if you follow the correct procedure and get the documents they want. They are real sticklers about the documents and inflexible if you start down the wrong path.

If you come to Taiwan with your kids visa exempt, you are probably going to end up making trips to Hong Kong and Fed exing documents back and forth. Get the right visas in the US first. Trust me on this one.[/quote]

Feiren,

Sorry for the late late reply on this. I am still trying to figure out if I want to give my kids Taiwan passports or resident visa’s/ ARC. I re-read your reply above and realize I have a slight “Problem”. If I choose to give my kids resident visas and apply for an ARC in Taiwan, I have to say that my kids are rejoining with family aka me. I went on the BOCA website and you also mentioned above that I can use this explanation if I have Taiwan passport, Taiwan ID and Household Registration. Problem is… I have not yet reactivated my household registration. TECO NY told me I have to go to Taiwan and do that. So without an activated household registration, I don’t think I can apply for a resident visa for my kids while still in the US. Can you confirm this?

Therefore, I will have to apply for a visitor visa for them, then switch to a resident visa AFTER I activate my household registration THEN apply for an ARC. So basically, I have to shell out $320 for the visitor visa, and another $320 to switch to resident visa right? AIYA! Also, I read somewhere on this forum (could be mistaken) that to change from visitor visa to resident visa, I need to do a visa run to HK or elsewhere??? Double AIYA! :aiyo:

Why not just apply for a Taiwan passport for the both of them you say??? I dunno… my parents are concerned of drafting issues when my son gets older. I know a lot of people on the forum say they are trying to change it to become voluntary and I also read something about leaving the country every 4 months if my son visits Taiwan during his drafting age??? Not sure. But then again, maybe my parents have no clue since they haven’t been back in almost 10 years.

What is your opinion in having dual citizenship? (US and Taiwan)
Thanks

Sorry I don’t think it would be a good idea for me to try to confirm what TECO is saying about household registration. In practice, I think you probably need to do what TECO says. It sounds like they are not going to issue resident visas without the household registration and that is there prerogative. Household registration probably is something you have to do in person.

BOCA’s website seems to be saying that a minor who enters Taiwan on a visitor visa for the purpose of visiting family can then apply for a resident visa to for the purpose of residing with family in Taiwan without having to make a trip to Hong Kong. That makes sense because Taiwan has a limited family unity policy. But you should be prepared to have to go to Hong Kong to get the resident visas if that turns out to be the case. Please don’t rely on what I’m saying here. If you are looking for more certainty, you should get professional advice.

I can tell you that I personally know people who have done this and it has all worked out in the end after they got all the pieces of paper together and followed BOCA’s instructions. I’m pretty sure that it will work out for you too.

As for the draft issue, it is never a good idea to rely on what the Taiwanese government says it is planning to do. Nonetheless, it seems prettly clear at the moment that the draft is going the way of the dodo bird. Currently men over 20 who are not in school need to serve four or sometimes one year in the military. Often though they are sent home after a few weeks. Men under 18 are routinely granted permission to leave Taiwan for tourism and those over 20 are routinely permitted to leave for legitimate education purposes. I really don’t think there is much to worry about on this point although you never know. Even if your son does have to do military service, it will be a great opportunity for him to integrate better into Taiwanese society and maybe even learn a little Taiwanese. Military service is one of the great rite of passage for men in Taiwan and bilingual folks like your son almost always get assigned to alternative service positions. If I was in my 20s and the only thing between me and dual citizenship was a 4-12 month service period, I’d do it in a second. O course all of this assumes that there is no war with China. Personally, I think the chances of war with China are extremely low.

I believe that there are significant benefits to dual citizenship that greatly outweigh the possible disadvantage of getting drafted.I’d suggest that you come to Taiwan and then decide about dual citizenship for your kids.

Hello

So after some thought, I’ve decided to visit Taiwan in two weeks to sort out my citizenship, household registration and additional paperwork! This way when February comes, it will be a smoother transition and I will have a better sense of what to do! Thank you everyone for your advice and comments! Really appreciate it.

Recently, I emailed (using google translate… LOL) the two schools of my choice (Datun and Gongguan) and they both say that they do not have availability in February. How likely is it that a school will have some availability mid semester? I mean, I assume families do move throughout the year and kids will need to relocate? I will however go visit those two schools and the ones mentioned earlier in this post but just wanted to see if anyone have additional suggestions on schools near MRT in Taipei? I want to visit as many schools as I can while I am there for a week and see what the overall consensus is in regards to accepting children mid year.

Just also want to make sure that Taiwan hasn’t adopted Thanksgiving from the US in anyway that stores, schools, Foreign Ministries etc. will be closed from 11/22-11/28? I know that is probably a stupid question but hey you never know. Don’t want to be surprised showing up that week and find out that Taiwan observes this US holiday! I thought I saw recently that Taiwan celebrates Halloween which is news to me. I must be living under a rock. Do the kids go around trick or treating or is it more of a dress up/ costume wearing “holiday”?

Lastly, any recommendations on things to do, places to eat, must sees after my daily errands is greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

Coming to Taipei sounds like a very good idea. I’m afraid I don’t know anything about enrolling during the school year.

It might be a good idea to direct your questions about this to the Taipei City Department of Education’s primary division. Better yet, pay them a visit when you come to Taipei early on. They will have personnel who can communicate in English and things work much better in Taiwan with in-person contact.

No Taiwan does not celebrate Thanksgiving. Halloween is a big party night for adults and there are activities like wearing costumes in some more American-oriented circles, but it is nothing like the US and it’s a bit of a stretch to say that it is observed in Taiwan. For example, there is no trick or treating unless foreign parents arrange it.

As for recommendations on what to do, what do you enjoy? In Taipei, I strongly recommend a trip to Lungshan Temple, dumplings at Lung Men Dumplings, tea at Wisteria Teahouse, drinks at Bobwundaye, a stroll down Yongkang St and a visit to a cafe like Nom Nom or Libero plus a Mango Ice at Ice Monster if it is still warm. Better yet, get out of Taipei and go to Taroko Gorge or Dulan. If you don’t have much time, take the HSR down to Tainan for a day or so.

[quote=“ariel7120”]Hello

So after some thought, I’ve decided to visit Taiwan in two weeks to sort out my citizenship, household registration and additional paperwork! This way when February comes, it will be a smoother transition and I will have a better sense of what to do! Thank you everyone for your advice and comments! Really appreciate it.

Recently, I emailed (using google translate… LOL) the two schools of my choice (Datun and Gongguan) and they both say that they do not have availability in February. How likely is it that a school will have some availability mid semester? I mean, I assume families do move throughout the year and kids will need to relocate? I will however go visit those two schools and the ones mentioned earlier in this post but just wanted to see if anyone have additional suggestions on schools near MRT in Taipei? I want to visit as many schools as I can while I am there for a week and see what the overall consensus is in regards to accepting children mid year.

Just also want to make sure that Taiwan hasn’t adopted Thanksgiving from the US in anyway that stores, schools, Foreign Ministries etc. will be closed from 11/22-11/28? I know that is probably a stupid question but hey you never know. Don’t want to be surprised showing up that week and find out that Taiwan observes this US holiday! I thought I saw recently that Taiwan celebrates Halloween which is news to me. I must be living under a rock. Do the kids go around trick or treating or is it more of a dress up/ costume wearing “holiday”?

Lastly, any recommendations on things to do, places to eat, must sees after my daily errands is greatly appreciated!

Thank you![/quote]

I’ve skipped about 7 pages of this thread, but I just wanted to reassure the OP that moving to Taipei is the right choice. It’s going to be a little more expensive, that’s for sure, but it’s (ironically) the best place to live with young kids when you’re not driving. The public transportation (quality and coverage) is excellent, there are parks everywhere - including connections through the riverside parks with extensive bike paths - which are generally bigger and better maintained than parks elsewhere, getting out of the city on public transport is easy if you want to, and there are often activities you can find to take the kids on weekends. My wife is from Taichung and she reckons Taipei is way easier to deal with a kid in.

For you personally, you mentioned improving your mandarin as a goal, and if you’ve got the cash and the time for it you might try stumping up for the language classes at Shida or elsewhere - like many other things you’ll find you have more options in Taipei than other cities on the island.

[quote=“ariel7120”]Hello

Thank you![/quote]

I had heard Gongguan was getting quite full these days, and Datun is a very small school. I don’t think it’s very likely there will be places opening up midyear. I would advise visiting at least Gongguan when you come out because the answer may be different if you go there in person. I will try to think of other schools you could visit. Do they have to be near the MRT? Neither Datun nor Gongguan are. The public bus system is very good. Would it be okay if the schools were on a bus route?

[quote=“Petrichor”]
I had heard Gongguan was getting quite full these days, and Datun is a very small school. I don’t think it’s very likely there will be places opening up midyear. I would advise visiting at least Gongguan when you come out because the answer may be different if you go there in person. I will try to think of other schools you could visit. Do they have to be near the MRT? Neither Datun nor Gongguan are. The public bus system is very good. Would it be okay if the schools were on a bus route?[/quote]

HI Petrichor

On the bus route is fine. Thank you for your suggestions.

[quote=“Feiren”]Coming to Taipei sounds like a very good idea. I’m afraid I don’t know anything about enrolling during the school year.

It might be a good idea to direct your questions about this to the Taipei City Department of Education’s primary division. Better yet, pay them a visit when you come to Taipei early on. They will have personnel who can communicate in English and things work much better in Taiwan with in-person contact.

No Taiwan does not celebrate Thanksgiving. Halloween is a big party night for adults and there are activities like wearing costumes in some more American-oriented circles, but it is nothing like the US and it’s a bit of a stretch to say that it is observed in Taiwan. For example, there is no trick or treating unless foreign parents arrange it.

As for recommendations on what to do, what do you enjoy? In Taipei, I strongly recommend a trip to Longshan Temple, dumplings at Lung Men Dumplings, tea at Wisteria Teahouse, drinks at Bobwundaye, a stroll down Yongkang St and a visit to a cafe like Nom Nom or Libero plus a Mango Ice at Ice Monster if it is still warm. Better yet, get out of Taipei and go to Taroko Gorge or Dulan. If you don’t have much time, take the HSR down to Tainan for a day or so.[/quote]

I will definitely go visit the Taipei City Department of Education. That is a great idea!
Also, thanks for all those recommendations. Will definitely scout them out. Can’t wait for the food. :lick:

Some other food recommendations

Yongkang Knife noodles.

Liu Pin Restaurant (六品小館) No. 8, Alley 3, Lane 199, Jinhua St, Da’an District, Taipei City, 106. Unpretentious great pan-Chinese food. Beloved by locals and strangely unknown to tourists

James Kitchen–solid interpretations of Taiwanese classics.

Jin Feng Add a duck egg to some of the best braised pork rice in town

Long’s Shanghai Restaurant

Hangzhou Xiaolongbao Very solid alternative to long lines at Dingtaifeng. Be there by 11:30 am to avoid any waiting. This is where the locals go.

Wuyun–a Taipei original. Home style Burmese Han/Yunnan cooking.