MRT rant - is it a fair reflection?

[quote=“quest”]Gryphon; my wife is Taiwanese :slight_smile: And it’s not so much ‘interests that I can’t get elsewhere’ as it is ‘interests I have that TW (as yet) doesn’t’. And if that sounds evasive, let’s leave it that way, 'k?
[/quote]

Ahhh, gotcha. Please do share when you start sharing your interests in Taiwan. You have piqued my curiosity. :slight_smile:

Given your marriage to a Taiwanese woman, the chances are you will hear comments about your relationship from strangers from time to time. It happens. I’ve encountered bitter old men who spat at me and shouted at me because they thought I am something I am not. But water off a duck’s back right? Their opinions of you does not define who you are. That’s the kind of mentality you need to keep if you want to stay sane. :slight_smile:

You mean a hot dog stand isn’t a good idea? Oh, bugger! All that planning gone to waste… :frowning:

If it makes a difference, though I’ve no idea why it should, my personal interest is in non-commercial private aviation; electric self-launching gliders to be specific. Without getting horribly boring, the topography and climate of the island offer immense possibilities for gliding. No, I don’t want to set up a business. I’m selfish and self-centred. I just want to fly by myself. And yes, I’m already in exploratory talks with the relevant Taiwanese authorities.

To be specific, what concerned me was not one individual mouthing off. It was the fact that an entire MRT carriage who could clearly hear the conversation just sat there and let the guy suffer. If that IS representative of Taiwanese culture - and that’s what I’m trying to ascertain here - then I’m damn certain TW and I are a bad mix.

My choice is simple. TW or Myanmar / Burma. Through a personal friendship I already have tacit approval from representatives of new government in Myanmar / Burma (or whatever it eventually decides to call itself) to fly there. However, TW offers a prima facie case for being a better fit with the requirements of my wife and young child.

Thanks to all those who have replied. As I said earlier, I place considerable weight on your opinion. Please make sure it’s valid!

[quote=“quest”]You mean a hot dog stand isn’t a good idea? Oh, bugger! All that planning gone to waste… :frowning:

If it makes a difference, though I’ve no idea why it should, my personal interest is in non-commercial private aviation; electric self-launching gliders to be specific. Without getting horribly boring, the topography and climate of the island offer immense possibilities for gliding. No, I don’t want to set up a business. I’m selfish and self-centred. I just want to fly by myself. And yes, I’m already in exploratory talks with the relevant Taiwanese authorities.

To be specific, what concerned me was not one individual mouthing off. It was the fact that an entire MRT carriage who could clearly hear the conversation just sat there and let the guy suffer. If that IS representative of Taiwanese culture - and that’s what I’m trying to ascertain here - then I’m damn certain TW and I are a bad mix.

My choice is simple. TW or Myanmar / Burma. Through a personal friendship I already have tacit approval from representatives of new government in Myanmar / Burma (or whatever it eventually decides to call itself) to fly there. However, TW offers a prima facie case for being a better fit with the requirements of my wife and young child.

Thanks to all those who have replied. As I said earlier, I place considerable weight on your opinion. Please make sure it’s valid![/quote]

My opinion’s certainly valid!

Why didn’t the other passengers say or do anything? Taiwanese culture is generally less aggressive and confrontational than in the West. The people in the carriage probably felt deeply embarrassed and thought the best option was to ignore the situation until the problem went away. Maybe bystander effect was also in play. Let’s not forget too that the incident was being filmed and they also probably didn’t relish the thought of appearing on YouTube.

I’ve never been to Burma but I’ve lived in Laos. Honestly, while poor countries have their merits you and your family are going to have a much better and more enjoyable life living in Taipei.

Hilarious! For me, it’s been over 11 years. No incident during that time. “Stinky old American” is very tame, by the way (I’m sure you know this, but others may not.) It’s as bad as it sounds in English (which isn’t bad at all).

The one I’ve heard about is ‘死老外’ but I’ve never actually heard somebody say that.
I do know some locals use Taiwanese more when cursing out the laowai with the pretty local gal (don’t fall for the foreigners only have ugly partners routine :slight_smile:) , my wife told me it’s happened a few times at night markets and such, but it’s not that common I think, and as I don’t understand Taiwanese, I remained blissfully unaware.

No, the MRT rant isn’t a fair reflection of life in Taiwan. I wouldn’t let what you see on the news influence your opinion about a place. Taiwan rarely makes international news. A story like this only receives international coverage due to its controversial undertones, not because it’s a true reflection of what life is like here. Everyday local news is quite tame all year-round, which is why Taiwan only makes headlines when it comes to catastrophes, natural disasters, or “weird” stories like this one. See also: a faked assassination attempt on the president, members of the legislature throwing shoes at each other, and restaurants that serve poop-looking ice cream in miniature toilet bowls.

[quote=“quest”]You mean a hot dog stand isn’t a good idea? Oh, bugger! All that planning gone to waste… :frowning:

Thanks to all those who have replied. As I said earlier, I place considerable weight on your opinion. Please make sure it’s valid![/quote]

Almost 20 years here, Latina. Take the MRT and assorted public transportation every day. My :2cents:

The latest MRT incident is rare. Taiwanese culture is non confrontational. They are not used to open frontal violence. A more definite example of this would be roe of the likes of the lunatic that started attacking people with a knife on the MRT. People froze like deers on headlights, as that kind of thing is not heard of. Same in this situation. However, I must say there was a previous attack on a foreigner like 6 months ago, a local guy hit a foreigner hard and knocked him down, and the locals did step in as well as the police. As long as it was only an argument, it is nobody else’s business. You will see couple’s arguing, woman crying and guy berating, people won’t step in. There is little privacy here, too many people on top of each other, so some things that should be private spill out into the public realm regularly and people in general react by giving them space -ie, trying to ignore the commotion unless it reaches a certain point.

I tell the foreigners here that people here see them as a celebrity, and hence, they should carry themselves as George Clooney, not Justin Bieber. You are the minority here and there exist prejudices against you, as well as positive connotations. Whatever you do is already seen through a tinted glass because you are a foreigner. But in most interactions, they are just in awe to have you here, and curious, and you are treated well as long as you do not set yourself in collision course with everything and everybody else. This last item is hard, as culture shock gets to all of us. And for many foerigners, taking a step back in the pecking ladder is not easy. However, in general terms, you can live a tranquil, safe, interesting life here. It depends if the place suits you.

I wouldn’t characterise Taiwan as the friendliest place I’ve lived but in my 17yrs here I can’t remember ever suffering through an experience like that. Definitely an outlier.

I wonder why 1500+ people read a post yet only a tiny % bother to reply? Apathy? No opinion? Confused as to what to say? Never learnt how to use a keyboard?

Anyway, many thanks to those who took the time to offer their thoughts. I’ve taken on board everything you said, together with canvassing many of my (local) chums in SE Asia, and have come to the conclusion that I’m not a good fit with Chinese / Taiwanese culture. I prefer the rough-and-ready, in your face but always with a twinkle in their eyes, approach of SE Asians.

So Burma / Myanmar it is.

Good luck to you all. Perhaps our paths will cross on one of my very infrequent trips to Taipei? The bagels at the cafe in the old armaments factory near 101 were almost worth moving there for, but not quite… :slight_smile:

I think you got a good response even though you barely shared anything about yourself and your background. :cactus: You usually gotta give something to get something back.
Or you get out what you put in. Or other cliched line. :2cents:

Burma is a pretty wild place, it’s going to be very different than flying in Taiwan, to be honest I think flying a glider in either place (but especially Taiwan with its vertical mountains) is suicide but what do I know about gliders!

Posters on any forum only ever hit a certain percentage.

A lot of people just hate-read random crap on the internet. I do i certain amount with more if I’m in the office a lot. It’s like watching Lethal Weapon 2 on HBO. Slack-jawed lazy-leisure combined with Schadenfreudeiness.

The world doesn’t really care about your problems but some people like to post answers to questions. :cactus:

And it’s not 1500 people. It’s the same 10 people looking at the thread over and over again. :neutral:

I’ve hung around a number of places in Burma for a few months so I’m fairly comfortable I know what I’m getting into, people-wise.

In respect of flying, having a 'plane with a self-launch and self-retrieve capability means I don’t have to worry about dumping myself in a rice paddy when the lift runs out. I could offer a small lecture on the lift-generating abilities of mountain ranges (wave lift, hill lift, etc.) but doubt you’d be interested.

The world should care about my problems. I’m precious.

And I told you guys everything you needed to know in order to offer an answer to my question. I wasn’t seeking dating advice, housing advice, or where-best-to-eat advice.

What would you have liked me to offer? Sex: Male. Age: Old enough. Shoe size: Euro 42. Weight: 62 kg. Height: 172 cms. Resting heart rate: 42 bpm. Aerobic capacity 67 ml/(kg.min). Qualification: PhD. Favourite food: Toad in the hole. Favourite drink: Fresh orange juice. Worst habit: Finishing other peoples sentences. Interests: Running, flying, writing. Number of wives: Two; one ex, one current. Number of offspring: Three, all boys. Hates: Mosquitoes, high humidity, all Asian food. Loves: Mountains, cities (you’d think they’d be mutually exclusive, huh?) What do your friends say about you: Arrogant, opinionated, loyal, funny, too smart for his own good.

There. Now how would any of that have skewed your answers? I’d like comprehensive replies from the 10 people reading this thread please…

That’s more like it. :bravo: . Wouldn’t have changed much about my replies but it’s kind of a courtesy thing. It’s not a straight up info exchange here after all.

Nope, you’re precious to yourself. Pretty much everyone thinks that their friends say Arrogant, opinionated, loyal, funny, too smart for his own good. about them. Classic array. ‘I’m a bit of a cock sometimes, but not stupid, la, and I like the people that I like!’

Burma folk are bound to be friendly and treat you as an equal. That sounds like an awesome place for a permanent move with children to fly air-o-planes.

Ermintrude, babe, creating a picture in your head - from a few posts on a forum - about someone you’ve never met is a fool’s errand. Though as you’re clearly a fan of the Dresden Dolls I guess I shouldn’t be surprised :wink:

The Burmese couldn’t give a flying f*** about me, which is the way I like it. We lead different lives and I’m sure we’ll try not to bother each other. It’s probably a really bad place to raise a small noisy child, but you’re right, it’s an awesome place to fly a glider. I may write a book about it.

Y’know, people will create a quickler impression on first meeting. It’s the cute range of attributes for yourself ‘clever but loyal’ that are your tell. Change your tell if you need to be inscrutable.

Oh Ermintrude, had we actually met in person you’d have been completely overwhelmed by my stunning good looks and stylish attire. Yet… as you’ve already alluded to, I might not be the nicest person you’ll ever meet. It only goes to show the folly inherent in human nature. We judge by looks or by words, and so rarely by watching what people actually do, how they really behave.

And why would I wish to appear inscrutable? That’s an Asian characteristic. I prefer the in-your-face approach of the West.

Maintain your cynical nature. It’s your best defence against a foolish world :slight_smile:

[quote=“quest”]Oh Ermintrude, had we actually met in person you’d have been completely overwhelmed by my stunning good looks and stylish attire. Yet… as you’ve already alluded to, I might not be the nicest person you’ll ever meet. It only goes to show the folly inherent in human nature. We judge by looks or by words, and so rarely by watching what people actually do, how they really behave.

And why would I wish to appear inscrutable? That’s an Asian characteristic. I prefer the in-your-face approach of the West.

Maintain your cynical nature. It’s your best defence against a foolish world :slight_smile:[/quote]

Yeah, you better go to Burma.

Guy

Life treating you harshly, Guy?