MRT rant - is it a fair reflection?

Would you just go to Burma already? Try the Gulab Jamuns…they’re off the hook.

:slight_smile: jes wondrin if this here thread be a wind up?

Dear bear,

This is what happens when you sit at the back of the class daydreaming and picking your nose instead of paying attention.

In my first post I said I wasn’t going anywhere until April 2016. In my seventh I pointed out I hate all Asian food.

Tsk, tsk. You really need to focus.

Dear tommy525,

No, it’s not a wind up. But when I come across perceptive and incisive comments from individuals as bright as ‘Ermintrude’ and ‘Rocket/Guy’ I can’t help hoping that if I keep chatting with them and I’m very, very good, they’ll eventually accept me into their 'net-based world.

Ok have fun un Burma flying your airplanes then.

Quest, I’ll break it to you gently.

Rocket and Erm…they’re the SAME person. Mad isn’t it.

That actually made me laugh out loud. Whether you’re serious or not, that’s funny :bravo:

Why do people develop alternate personalities on the 'net? It seems pointless, yet it’s a fairly common activity. Back in the (very brief) day when I worked for a living, I had a chat with a medic colleague who was a clinical psychologist about this phenomenon, and he was fairly convinced that 80% of the population had trouble coping with the reality of their day-to-day lives, and the 'net provided them with the opportunity to become the person they felt themselves to be.

If this is true, I suspect that Ermintrude / Rocket / Guy feels themselves to be completely in touch with their feminine side whilst simultaneously working for NASA and being a rather hunky chap when not dressed in his Laura Ashley frock.

You clearly know her / him / them better than I. Am I correct?

Yay, superking’s back. :neutral:

You pretty much nailed it.

You’re obviously going to do well wherever you go.

Not knowing much about these gliders, I just used the Google machine, and it spit out the following:
Silent 2 AE > LITHIUM ELECTRIC SELF-LAUNCH SAILPLANE
alisport.com/eu/eng/silent2_b.htm

Is that what you’re flyin’? How cool is that!

One thing I don’t understand is “air brakes” . . . I ride a scooter, and I think I know how my brakes work, but I don’t think mine would stop yours . . .

One concern I’d have if I were you . . . In Taiwan, they don’t have many (any?) private boats or planes.

I think they have much stricter rules than elsewhere about a foreigner piloting a boat, plane, glider . . . anything beyond a paper airplane or rubber duck.

Anyway, good luck! :braveheart:

It’s actually this version:

youtube.com/watch?v=MfE3C8QB6DA

I was the test pilot flying the thing in the latter part of the vid. No pics of me though, they edited them out. Why would they do that? :frowning:

As you asked… an airbrake is a paddle-like object which pops up and disrupts the airflow over the wings so, essentially, you lose lift therefore you also lose speed and height. Sounds silly, but it’s quite useful in a number of situations such as finding yourself too high and / or too fast as you approach for a landing.

If you’re too high when you use the airbrakes you have to remember to lower the nose to maintain speed else you’ll stall and tumble into the ground, which rarely has a happy ending. And if you’re too fast you’ll have to raise the nose or else you won’t make the landing field which is also likely to have an unhappy ending.

Gliders are slippery which is why speed control is such an issue. Too fast and the bloody thing will fall apart, too slow and you’ll pitch down and meet the ground in a sudden stop. Airbrakes are an essential aid to avoiding either outcome.

Taiwan doesn’t like private aviation, even if you fit your 'plane with a transponder (a thing which tells the radar people where, who and how high you are) or use a FLARM unit (a thing which tells you that you are about to fly into something else in the sky). I’ve been trying hard to change their minds. Burma couldn’t care less what you do in the air as long as you don’t fall out of it onto the people below.

Thank you for your interest and your good wishes.

[quote=“quest”]That actually made me laugh out loud. Whether you’re serious or not, that’s funny :bravo:

Why do people develop alternate personalities on the 'net? It seems pointless, yet it’s a fairly common activity. Back in the (very brief) day when I worked for a living, I had a chat with a medic colleague who was a clinical psychologist about this phenomenon, and he was fairly convinced that 80% of the population had trouble coping with the reality of their day-to-day lives, and the 'net provided them with the opportunity to become the person they felt themselves to be.

If this is true, I suspect that Ermintrude / Rocket / Guy feels themselves to be completely in touch with their feminine side whilst simultaneously working for NASA and being a rather hunky chap when not dressed in his Laura Ashley frock.

You clearly know her / him / them better than I. Am I correct?[/quote]

What makes you think my personality is different in real life?

[quote=“quest”]
This is what happens when you sit at the back of the class daydreaming and picking your nose instead of paying attention.

No, it’s not a wind up. But when I come across perceptive and incisive comments from individuals as bright as ‘Ermintrude’ and ‘Rocket/Guy’ I can’t help hoping that if I keep chatting with them and I’m very, very good, they’ll eventually accept me into their 'net-based world.[/quote]

Speaking of not paying attention… :unamused:
FWIW, you couldn’t carry brother (and neighbor) Bear’s bientang box, even empty.

Percy, you funny, I’ll give you that.

As my grandpa used to say, you run into an asshole in the morning, he’s an asshole.
You keep running into assholes all day, it’s a pretty safe bet that you’re the asshole. :wink:

What make you think my personality is different in real life?

Ermintrude, I didn’t think it was. I just hoped it was.

Rocket, who the hell is Percy? I’m guessing he’s a troll who bested you eons ago and now you see him everywhere.

Lie down. Breathe deeply. Feel better now?

Oh well.

Indeed.

Oh, c’mon, Ermintrude / Rocket. Surely you can fashion a better comeback than that?

May I help? You could have said;

Hey, Skygod, when you take your little toy to Burma do remember to let everyone know what an ‘arrogant, opinionated, loyal, funny, too smart for his own good’ kinda guy you are. They’ll be mesmerised, just like I was :sunglasses:

I’ll tell ya another fact.Taiwan doesn’t like boats much either.
If you had called it the noisy-son-of-a-bitch-polluta-scoota-2000-with-wings and then added some
flashing LED lights (important: this model polluta-scoota-with-wings comes with non optional always on flashing LEDs) you might have been in with a chance. Too late now.

Yes, I’d noticed the Taiwanese love of noisy, smelly, bright, flashing things. Plus an unusual number of boy racers who try to get to 120 kph in second gear between sets of traffic lights. Harmless fun. I guess I was the same when I was a kid.

But the thing I noticed the most about the Taiwanese is their propensity to whine about everything. Work, food, family, relationships; nothing is ever quite right. They are, without doubt, the most negative race on the planet.

Definitely! But I think one needs a fair period of observation on the PTT or Taiwanese web culture and reality in parallel. This man is just reflecting his net identity in reality. Sometimes I think why do ABCs, Koreans, or other foreign groups get such a bad wrap these days. Most just listen and repeat. Then media just copy-n-paste. Taiwan is very relaxed in it’s social structure and do allow much of its net culture to reflect in the real world :noway:

BTW, remember the pizza dude down in Taitung? Many of the things that women yelled out: common net rants on foreigners.

[quote=“quest”]Oh, c’mon, Ermintrude / Rocket. Surely you can fashion a better comeback than that?

May I help? You could have said;

Hey, Skygod, when you take your little toy to Burma do remember to let everyone know what an ‘arrogant, opinionated, loyal, funny, too smart for his own good’ kinda guy you are. They’ll be mesmerised, just like I was :sunglasses:
[/quote]

Surely. But why? You haz no psychological hook. No payback for me. Must work hard, if you want a back 'n forth. It’s not 2006. Step it up. Be more interesting.

Are you drunk? Do you actually demand a ‘psychological hook’ or a ‘payback’ from those with whom you converse? And what has 2006 go to do with anything?

Happy to leave you in your alternate world(s) with your multiple personalities, Ermintrude. But if our paths do cross again. please, at least try to be funny. Humour could add much to your confused life, trust me on this.

No need to thank me. I’m a qualified doctor. I do this sort of thing for free.