Muay Thai boot camp trip to Phuket, Thailand

Planning a trip to Thailand to do a month long if possible, but at least 2 weeks of just eating sleeping and training. Deciding between 2 gyms there, I will either go December or April. Anyone ever done anything like this, or at least been to phuket and can tell me about how things are down there. Anything I especially need to prepare for a month long trip. Also, weather in December vs April. Thanks!!

December weather is perfect. April is hot. Don’t really need to prepare much, everything is available. Phuket is a big island. Location is important and you’ll need to rent a scooter. However I guess you’ll be looking to stay on-site to get maximum training time. I know nothing about Muay Thai but Sitsongpeenong is highly rated on Trip Advisor plus it’s located at Surin beach which is a really nice beach.

1 Like

I’m mostly there to train but the weekend I have off to enjoy. It’s a hard decision but I think the only time I can get there is April. I’m not 100% sure about if i can take time off in december. Is it really that hot in april?

If a Taiwan summer doesn’t bother you, I don’t think Phuket will.

1 Like

I’m always indoors with the AC though haha

Anyone know about the food situation? mostly safe to eat? I heard however they use a lot of palm oil or something to cook which is very fattening so may not be good for training

My friend owns part of this gym on Koh Samui:

https://www.facebook.com/hipposgym.kohsamui?fref=ts

I have no idea how it compares to other training you receive elsewhere in Thailand.

The food? In Thailand? You’ll be in absolute heaven if you like Western sometimes and Asian at other times, depending on your mood. I’ve never experienced any kind of safety issue with the food.

Phuket is full of tourists. I actually don’t mind, but I know some people who avoid the place because of this and go to Koh Samui instead.

1 Like

Not much less tourists on Koh Samui, in fact the tourist-regular life ratio has got to be well higher. My complaint with Phuket is the traffic, awful.

Can I get around pretty easily and cheaply without renting a scooter? I can’t ride, I’m scared to death of riding one.

A lot of people take “songthaew” converted pickup truck mini-buses, I think they’re pretty reasonable.

1 Like

http://www.phuket-krabi-muaythai.com/ I know this camp is high regarded.

I’m either going with Tiger Muay Thai http://www.tigermuaythai.com/ a pro fighter i’m buddies with recommended it to me. It’s cool because the food and accommodations are included in the package if I want. So no worries with food and the living situation. Already pretty much budgeted out.

Other one is AKA Thailand, https://akathailand.com/ both look top notch. Also recommended to me from another pro fighter friend of mine. But I unlike the tiger MMA, no food and accommodations included.

Yeah, they are the two really famous ones run by gringos that famous fighters go to. Should be good, but heard super expensive.

Anyway, Thai food is awesome and no less clean than Taiwan.

So i’m making this trip in december, anyone know the best site to book tickets to phuket international, I usually fly EVA but they don’t go there for some reason.

If you want to fly direct, I think it’s China Airlines or maybe Thai Airways. Otherwise you can get a connecting flight from Bangkok very easily on airlines like Thai, Bangkok Airlines or Air Asia. Cathay has pretty cheap flights to Bangkok usually if you want to go this route. There’s also budget airlines like Tiger Taiwan if that’s your thing. You could call EVA (or whatever airline) and see if they can arrange a connection so your baggage will be transferred automatically and you don’t have to clear customs in Bangkok.

1 Like

Yeah, budget airlines Nok and Tiger fly to BKK for around 6000 return. You can get a cheap domestic flight.

If you dont mind spending more, Cathay can get you from Taipei to BKK in 6 hrs for 15,000 return.

Last few times I’ve got closer to 10k on Cathay. Depends on timing, but they have a bunch of flights daily.

Sorry, my meaning was 15K to Phuket from Taipei, changing in HK. Would be the fastest way to go, but not the cheapest.

Ahh, that makes sense. Not sure what China Airlines costs these days if you want direct.

From what I can see, no longer any direct flights to Phuket.

1 Like