Muay Thai boot camp trip to Phuket, Thailand

yeah, I have to stop at Bangkok. I’ll book it today, really hyped to get there even to train. Could have took a relaxing vacation on the beach like everyone else, but I feel like this is way worth it.

1 Like

Have to go HK with EVA and cathy from HK to Phuket international. So excited to take this journey.

1 Like

I won’t have many days off, but are there must do’s while I’m in phuket? I have sundays off, and i’ll be there for new years as well as christmas. Or anything to avoid besides the lady boys haha

If you were to go out in Patong, actually do be careful of ladyboys late at night. They prey on drunk foreigners and can be quite physical (as in they will mug you).

Kind of depends. What do you like doing?

I feel like I’m going to be pretty tired. And when I’m training i’m pretty serious about not drinking and staying out ect. The only exception is most likely either christmas and new years if many people want to go out a have a couple drinks. But I love food, especially thai food. Is there anything like a night market there?

No shortage of night markets or food. My favorite restaurant there last time was Kopitiam in town. Tungka Cafe on the hill north of town is pretty awesome for the view as well as the food. Would be a good place to take a date

1 Like

Are you training to actually have a career out of this or just say you did it and maybe increase the awareness in TW?

I’m looking to play professionally for basketball next year. This is more like off season condition and personal pilgrimage. It’s just something I got really into, I originally just boxed for conditioning but as an athlete the obsession to get better kicked in. I could in the future maybe 1-2 years get a pro fight as I worked for a MMA league and I could get myself on a card if I do put in the time. But for now, i’m not looking to be a pro fighter.

I’d stay away from Thailand for the time being. Fun has been banned for a month during this interregnum period in honor of the King’s memory.

Should be back to normal after this month though.

1 Like

It’s only for a month, and I’m not there for fun. Everything should be back to normal in december

So I just got back and it was the best vacation ever. The weather was just wonderful. The only negative is Phuket is probably the most expensive place in Thailand. I would recommend anyone to go there to get fit. There’s a fitness camp and Muay Thai classes. You can do both like me if you wanted. I needed to drop to 85kg from 90 for a fight and I was able to do that in 2.5 weeks of training. You train all day and go to the beach and or get a cheap massage for like 400bth. Awesome time. Here are some pics ight=“500”>

2 Likes

Looks great. Did your girlfriend go?

No couldn’t get her to. She went to Guam said it was horrible. Very American, food was bad. She says she would definitely come with me next time seeing how fit I got and how much I enjoyed it.

Gotta say, you look like one of those baddies in a HK action flick. Maybe you should consider a film career. You may have to let Donnie Yen fake kick your ass or something, but the pay’s probably pretty good. Is that a heat rash, or is it from getting repeatedly kicked in the chest?

I think it’s from fighter oil which is basically tiger balm in oil form. They seem to rub tiger balm all over themselves all day. I guess it must feel good when your winters are 30c

But there’s some bruises around my body like lower abs and rib cage areas.

Interesting. Used to rub that stuff on the forearms and shins training in Wing Chun. It never caused a large rash like that, but we would get similar looking rashes in high contact areas, i.e. forearms repeatedly slamming together. Maybe heat and sun are a factor? That southern Thailand sun is pretty intense.

I’ve always been amazed by the beatings those Muay Thai fighters can take. That stuff really toughens you up.

I watch this guys 500th retirement fight. Crazy. This guys been fighting since he was 7. I wonder how these walk and if there’s like mental problem when they get older. There’s no way taking elbows and knees to the head that many times do not do some permanent damage to your brain

Yeah, there must be some home for old and addled Muay Thai boxers upcountry somewhere. Definitely seen some veteran fighters who looked like they had serious cases of dementia pugilistica.