Must see things in Taipei that are not part of the top 10?

Hey guys,

I have been living in Taipei for almost 2 years and I will be moving to Taichung this August/September, so I was wondering what cool places around Taipei are a must see that aren’t part of the regular regime of things like Chang-Kai Shek, 101, Elephant Mountain, Daan, Yanmingshan, etc…

People living in Taipei, what are your favorite spots to visit in or around Taipei? I only have a few months left to try to explore all the secret nooks of Taipei! Help me out :slight_smile: Thanks!

This is my favorite spot in the city.

Try to go early morning while the fog is still a little heavy. They open at around 8AM on the weekends.

Does this include New Taipei? If so, one of my favorite off-the-beaten-track spots is 金寶山 (Jin Bao Shan), a combination cemetery and art park. It’s famous for being the final resting place of Taiwanese icon Teresa Teng. The views, sculptures, and interesting graves are all quite special. Plus, it’s free to enter, and it’s pretty easy to get to.

Take the MRT to Danshui, then take the Taiwan Tourist Bus “Crown Northern Coast Line” (台灣好行皇冠北海岸線) and exit at Yun Garden (筠園), right at the cemetery. The Juming Museum (朱銘美術館) is very close and also on that bus line.

2 Likes

I go to Jinbaoshan once a year for tomb sweeping, and can vouch for the beautiful natural scenery and bizarre manmade scenery.

Also on the north coast, if you’re turned off by the big crowds in Jiufen, just skip over the hill to Jinguashi. Much less crowded, and the natural scenery is even better.

1 Like

Treasure Hill, Taipei Artist Village, behind Gung-Guan and right next to the river bike path and Keelung Road (as it becomes a bridge).

No. 2, Alley 14, Lane 230, Section 3, Tingzhou Road, Zhongzheng District, Taipei City

1 Like

Off of this, go over the Jiufen hill and head over to Bu Yian Ting. Lot of people like to call it the mini-Wuling.

I was actually going to slog up there the last time I went, but it was way too hot that afternoon. It’s definitely on my list.

Just like my Star City Coffee suggestion, best to go with some bit of clouds in the air. Makes the scene something out of a Lord of the Rings movie when the myst breaks over the mountains.

Don’t get me wrong, it’s still pretty damn awesome on a clear blue day too.

Don’t make the news though…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ec3kkh2852o

Agree. For me, Jinguashi is much more pleasant than Jiufen. Every time I’ve gone to Jiufen I could barely walk down the narrow streets because of the crowds.

And yes to Treasure Hill as well.

Thanks for all the cool suggestions! I will definitely be checking out these places and hopefully writing a short piece on them!

WWII POW memorial in Jingguashi. For background information see the website: http://www.powtaiwan.org/