My boss is hinting at blacklisting me if I break my contract

Hi, need some advice.
I cannot stay at my current job. I’ve had many jobs in my teaching career, and trust me, work environments don;t get much worse than this. I’ll spare you the details, but let me just say that no sane person would stay here, and getting out while I’m still sane is my only option.

The nuts and bolts: I signed a year contract. Two months in, I can’t take it anymore. My contract states that I must give a months notice before leaving, and I also know thatmy company has a history of not paying employees their last months wages.So, in other words, if I put in the notice, I can be guaranteed to work the last month with no pay.

Also, There’s a clause in my contract that states I cannot take a second job. So, no second ARC is possible.

And, I need them to sign a form releasing me from my ARC before i can get a new ARC at any of the jillions of jobs that are better than this one.

Anyway, what does it take to blacklist me and prevent me from working in Taiwan ever again? I need to get out of here.

I can afford a visa run. How do I get out of a contract? I’ve never worked for a boss before who was so capable or dirty tricks.

Thanks.

The CLA is your friend.

If you give notice he can’t blacklist you, and you CAN sue him for any unpaid salary. It costs NT$1000 to start the process. I’ll give you the forms. Before it gets that far you go to the CLA and explain that he’s being troublesome. 9 out of 10 idiots will settle before it goes any further.

If it goes as far as arbitration then he’ll be told to pay up and release you. Have the paperwork to sue him on the desk. He’ll decide that it’s easier to give you everything.

[quote=“Loretta”]The CLA is your friend.

If you give notice he can’t blacklist you, and you CAN sue him for any unpaid salary. It costs NT$1000 to start the process. I’ll give you the forms. Before it gets that far you go to the CLA and explain that he’s being troublesome. 9 out of 10 idiots will settle before it goes any further.

If it goes as far as arbitration then he’ll be told to pay up and release you. Have the paperwork to sue him on the desk. He’ll decide that it’s easier to give you everything.[/quote]

This is the best advice anyone can give you. It is 100% accurate. If you properly leave your job, your boss can not blacklist you. Explain this to him and see what he says… :smiley:

You’re a lifesaver, Loretta. What does CLA stand for, do they have a website where I can download the forms?

I am so grateful. :notworthy:

CLA= Council of Labour Affairs

cla.gov.tw/cgi-bin/SM_theme?page=431d3444

this is the English page. Not sure about finding the forms but give them a call. Theyare not to be feared.

or you can just go to work, sit in the chair in the office all day surfing the internet, and leave when you feel like it. perhaps give classes in french or polish, or with a bucket or a Darth Vader helmet on your head, or wearing a bikini top and litttle else. then he’ll have to fire you…

contracts cut both ways.

CLA: Council of Labor Affairs. In Taipei it’s actually the Labor Department of the City Government. Michael Yeh: 02 2550 2151 ext 206

Their job is to ensure that people don’t fuck each other over. I know several people from both sides of the equation who have gone to them, sometimes because someone was being naughty, other times simply to find out what was the right thing to do.

If you call to complain they will ask you to fax in a statement of your problem. No required form, just a letter outlining the situation. Then they contact the other party, who may then come back to you and try to settle without any further fuss. If that doesn’t work then they arrange an arbitration hearing, which means both sides sit down at a table with an arbitration officer who knows the law and you try to come to an agreement. It will take a few weeks to get this far, maybe a month.

This service is free, confidential, and you don’t need a lawyer.

If you can’t reach an agreement, or if the other party doesn’t keep the agreement, then you may consider sueing. In Taipei you want the court on Boai Rd. (There was a thread about this a while back and Dragonbones will be the man to ask.) The court officers will recommend you try arbitration first, so the CLA is the first step, but if you get no joy then legal action is still possible. You can download the forms from somewhere, but everything’s in Chinese and I can’t find them. I do have copies at home somewhere though, as I went through this recently.

In your case, a call to the CLA for information in advance would probably clarify what your rights are and what procedure you should follow to quit your job. They can advise you about how much notice you’re entitled to if your boss decides to fire you instantly. You may try asking them to contact your employer just to confirm that he understands that you’re doing it by the book and expect him to do the same. I wouldn’t do this unless I had forewarned my employer though.

If your boss decides you don’t need to come in tomorrow, which happened to me once, aside from the issue of pay there is also the issue of your work permit. Once you stop working there you have ten days to get another one or leave the country. If he’s required to give you any notice (I don’t know the rules) then insist the ten days starts after the notice period, not from the day he kicks you out.

I’ve pulled the CLA card twice in over five years. The first time, which sounds similar to your situation, they were playing the “so sue me from Hong Kong” game but buckled when I discovered the free, binding alternative. They didn’t want any attention from the authorities whatsoever, so I got paid notice and a written notice of termination stating the agreed payoff and confirming in writing that there would be no future difficulties from them with regards to my work status. A year later I had to go back and claim a refund of the taxes they had deducted for me but never paid, so you might like to include that issue in your negotiations too.

Have fun with it, and remember to be nice. The rule of law actually works quite well in Taiwan, the only problem is that some individuals aren’t aware of that fact yet and think they can play silly buggers. You just need to straighten them out and correct their misunderstandings, and everything will be fine. No need for big dramas, threats, or name calling.

Sorry to hear that you are in an awful job. I have been in one for the last 11 months, and am counting down the days till the contract is over.

Let us know if the CLA helps you out. I would be interested to know in case I end up in another shitty job next time around…

I was worried about being blacklisted if I had quit halfway through my contract. Does anyone know if this blacklist actually even exists?

Just curious…but what about your job is so bad?

Just curious…but what about your job is so bad?[/quote]

Well, I was told so many pretty words before I signed my contract. Like, for example, most of my classes would be at the school. Actually, virtually all of my classes are located far, far away from the school. I’m only required to work 30 hours a week, which didn’t sound so bad, because they made it sound as if I would come in to the school, work a few block hours of classes each day, and be free. However, nearly all of my classes are located far, far away from the school, and far away from each other as well. So, I work six days a week, from 9:00 a.m. - 10:00 p.m. I’m always on the MRT or on a bus or in a cab, which eats up all of the extra time I could be using to study Chinese or just enjoy life in general. They’ll send me everywhere from Danshui to Taipei county and out to Kunyang, and barely give me enough time to travel from place to place so that I am always stressed about the time. They don’t reimburse me for travel expenses, which can actually add up to be quite substantial. At least three days a week when locations mandate that cabs are the only option I spend over 500 nt just traveling from class to class. I’m still recuperating from my last scooter accident. And they make me feel stupid for if I ask for advice about which bus to take. :frowning: (please don’t tell me how lucky I am to see so much of the metro Taipei area from the window of a bus - it’s been done before and it did not make me feel better)
So, in a nutshell, they keep me running around from 9:00 a.m - 10:00 p.m. every day, and if you deduct my travel expenses I am probably clearing $45,000 nt a month. (I’ve never added up my travel expenses nor the actual time i spend in transit in the interest of being kind to my blood pressure) I get home every night at 10:30, stressed out, irate, and exhausted, and leave for work again 10 hours later. If I wanted to work this kind of a schedule and be this stressed out I could be holding down two full-time jobs. Yeah, I feel sorry for the poor Thai workers who have it worse than me but can I just get a normal job now? I’m sorry I have this concept that to enjoy my life is important, but this is an important concept in my culture and I haven’t caught on to the idea that my company should be my personal God to which my sanity should be sacrificed, either. I’m a selfish, lazy, Western man. I know.
I have a break between classes that is long enough to enjoy a decent lunch or dinner about three times a week. No way to live, is it? :noway:
There’s more, but that is what’s really breaking my back. It’s just inhuman to work that kind of a schedule without financial compensation. Notice I’m posting this at 7:00 a.m. on a Sunday? I went to bed at 11 last night, totally exhausted from my daily road trip as I always am. On the bright side, this job has been very good for my liver and for keeping me away from the evils of women. Wait, is that a bright side? :frowning:

Anyway, thanks for the advice, everyone. I’ll scope out the CLA website today. I don’t think much more will be necessary than letting my boss know I’m informed about my rights. He may be unreasonable, but he’s not an idiot.

Thanks to all. :notworthy:

Wow! Sounds just like the company I worked for five years ago that caused me to better acquaint myself with my rights.

Take a look on tealit for a nice article about CLA arbitration. It’s written by a lawyer. Print out the Chinese copy and have it in your hand when you talk to your boss.

Jeez, sounds like hell!
Good luck with it and keep us informed as to what happens.

I presume you’re teaching adults? When I first got to Taiwan, I was teaching adults at a chain, and they had me running around, too, but not as much or as far as you do! And such large distances without reimbursement? Even though my school paid me dirt, it still gave me a small expense account for travel.

That is truly an awful job that you are in. How on earth does your boss expect anyone to put up with that kind of schedule?

I hope you can get out easily and find a proper job soon.