My landlord wants me to pay for a mozzie door that got ripped off by a typhoon

Sounds ridiculous to me, but does he have any right to ask for that? Or is he just trying to squeeze every last quai out of me? I mean, it probably wont be much but I’m not made of money. And I got to pay for the stuff I did fuck up too.

Squeeze you

From his point of view, there was a window when he rented, there must be one when you leave. It says so in the contract.

At the time of the typhoon, did you inform the landlord of the damage?

If anything else is danmaged, yep, he’ll look at other stuff more closely, just because of the inconvenience.

The last Typhoon was a long time ago, you should have reported it to the landlord then and insisted he replace it. If he didn’t do so in a reasonable time period then you replace it and deduct the cost from the rent. If you’ve left it to now without mentioning it then it’s up to you to cough up, how can you prove you didn’t break it as apparently there are other breakages?

We reported it to him, but that’s all it was. I didn’t think any more about the matter. It’s a balcony door off the storage room so it’s never opened, and we never thought it necessary to replace it. I can’t prove that it was a result of the typhoon of course. I mean I have pictures of a mangled up door on my phone, hanging off the frame by one hinge (which I sent him), but I can’t prove the typhoon did it. Anyway, it’s besides the point. He’s quite happy to accept it.

The other stuff is wear and tear such as that wooden wallpaper stuff peeling off (with help from my 3 year old), and the balcony facade I took off that got sawn in half by my neghbour.

If he accepts that you’re not responsible for the door but wants you to pay for it anyway, it sounds like you need to call Mama.

What is that exactly? Some kind of tenant advocacy group?

Exactly.

Cheers guys.