My PHS VIP Phone Number has been Taken Over

I hope you remember PHS.
The company sold VIP contracts with a phone number. The number was supposed to be open for life without any charge unless you’d make calls.
Last year after PHS closed down, they did not inform us that the service had stopped.
They then passed all the numbers over to another service provider.
They were supposed to send us a letter informing us that we could maintain our number with them.
However, we never got any such mail.

My wife figured this out a few days ago and tried to call my number only to see that my number is set to be on leave message.

I feel this is a violation/invasion of my privacy and would like to do something about it. Any thoughts?

Do you know this VIP contract? Does it anyhow state that I bought the number itself like some item or did I only buy the service?

Is there anything I can do, besides putting this number up here and asking you to junk the mailbox?

Maybe it’s set to go straight to voicemail as it’s unallocated? Have you called the new company and asked?

My wife called the NCC and filed a complaint before the Chinese New Years holidays.
They sent an official complaint letter to Taiwan Mobile and both parties got a copy of this.

Taiwan Mobile confirmed that the number is in use by a new customer or who/whatever.
The phone is always set to take voice messages without identifying the new owner or even using their own voice.

This is not over yet. I paid to advertise for this number and I can prove it.

We never got a mail informing us… “by the way we are no longer in business”.
Taiwan Mobile never sent us a letter telling us… “by the way, we’ll have your number on sale starting September 2015”.

Some of my online services used this number for recovery.