Navy accidentally fires missiles towards China!

Scary stuff going on there. Was that loaded with a warhead? And right on the 95th anniversary of the Chinese Communist Party. Some heads are gonna roll over this.

Missile fired by mistake did not cross Taiwan Strait median line: Navy

focustaiwan.tw/news/aipl/201607010009.aspx

UPDATE:

“A Taiwanese fishing boat was hit by a missile launched from a Navy corvette by mistake Friday, causing the death of its captain and injuring the three others on the boat, a Ministry of National Defense official said.”

In the Chinese news I saw, the emphasis was on how much the missile costed.

And it might have hit a Taiwanese fishing boat near Penghu :confused:

It did.

Is it confirmed? Just few minutes they were still investigating to see if the two thinsg were related or not.

tw.news.yahoo.com/%E5%9C%8B%E9% … 39812.html

Though what seems to hurt the most was wasting the one billion ntd missile. :noway: Ayiooo

EDIT:
Very painful SOS call from the ship. ETTV

Oh, and China demanding explanations about what the $#@!76! happened

[quote=“Icon”]
Though what seems to hurt the most was wasting the one billion ntd missile. [/quote]

It is almost becoming traditional for the armed forces to receive the incoming president with some mayor screwup. Remember the trio caught in the river…

Pictures of the boat, the missile, and the families of the crew. Images could be disturbing, please watch at your own discretion.

Instructor: “That big red button there launches the missile.”
Cadet: “What, this one? (click)”
Instructor: “Nooooooooo!”

Looks like Zuoying Naval Base is in serious trouble. First, the dog torture incident and now they sink a fishing boat with a “carrier killer”. If that missile would have gone further towards China, it could have disastrous consequences.

[quote=“Chris”]Instructor: “That big red button there launches the missile.”
Cadet: “What, this one? (click)”
Instructor: “Nooooooooo!”[/quote]

From the roasting given right now at the press conference, they are nailing someone to the cross saying so and so did not follow sop…ugh

They were “lucky” the missile went though and through. It did not explode. I am quoting this guy on tv.

Bloody Hell! What a collosal stuff up!

So was it just a tragic coincidence that it hit a fishing boat? Was it sailing towards China and then it was deliberately crashed? Or just an out-of-control firing? The chances of it hitting anything in open sea would be possible, but pretty remote

I hate it when “mistakes” happen. These “mistakes” didn’t happen under Ma Ying-jeou. This could start a war. Domestically, the government is going to get sued for a lot of money.

Lucky the missile apparently was not loaded with a warhead. Even so, how does a missile like that get fired without a target? It could have hit anything. An airliner or anything. It could have hit China and created a bigger incident. I think it was one of those that once fired can’t be controlled too.

Bonkers incident.

Obviously, President Tsai must take full responsibility and resign.

[quote=“tommy525”]Lucky the missile apparently was not loaded with a warhead. Even so, how does a missile like that get fired without a target? It could have hit anything. An airliner or anything. It could have hit China and created a bigger incident. I think it was one of those that once fired can’t be controlled too.

Bonkers incident.[/quote]

It couldn’t hit an airliner, it was a surface-to-surface missile flying at low-altitude.

Just imagine this had been a Mainland Chinese missile.
The green regulars here would not for a single moment entertain the thought that this had been an accident.

Whenever they can, delusional independence supporters mention China’s “100000 missiles pointed at Taiwan”. I would argue that China is spot on in defending itself from Taiwan’s attacks - whether triggered intentionally or by accident.

She has no option. Serious failure on her part.

Just imagine this had been a Mainland Chinese missile.
The green regulars here would not for a single moment entertain the thought that this had been an accident.

Whenever they can, delusional independence supporters mention China’s “100000 missiles pointed at Taiwan”. I would argue that China is spot on in defending itself from Taiwan’s attacks - whether triggered intentionally or by accident.[/quote]

Let’s have a thorough investigation first to see exactly who or what was responsible; from the idiot who had his finger on the button through to the idiot who was supposed to be supervising that idiot, through to the whole training program. Then expand it to look at other training methods and chains of command in the military. Coz clearly, something is radically wrong. This could easily have started a war. And judging by the competence of the Taiwanese Navy, it would have been a war that Taiwan would have swiftly lost.

If Tsai Ing-Wen doesn’t step up and take control of this situation, then yeah, i would agree, she should be removed from office. But we’re not there yet.

Oh, the irony/craziness if that accidental missile hit a missile that is aimed at Taiwan. >__>