Need some advice about XL frame road bike

Hey guys! I’m really needing to get out and exercise so I’m looking to get back into cycling. I previously always lived in extremely flat places and ridden hybrid city bikes in cities, and on country roads and bike trails. I’m used to long rides and the dangers and pains of riding and really excited to get back on a bike. In Taiwan, between the lights and the traffic I think I’m going to need to get out of town (Taichung) to get a consistent workout and I’m looking at road bikes. I’m 6’8 (200cm) and weigh in around 210 (95kg) so finding the right bike is really important to me and also a little difficult.
I have previously ridden Giant XL frame hybrids and was measured for a Giant TCR 1 at the Giant shop. giantcyclingworld.com/web/bi … eee08888c7 They of course don’t have any in so need to order. Here’s my dilemma: the 28k price tag is way over what I wanted to spend coming from the bikes I am used to riding. That being said, I need to be able to do some incline riding and do not want to be on a hybrid. Because of my size I doubt I’ll find anything used. Any suggestions on what I should do? Any idea how to get ahold of previous year’s models?
Another question I have is will I destroy a road bike with my weight? I’ve always had fork shocks and have bent rims on city streets. I don’t know a lot about higher end bikes but really don’t know where to begin.
So I’m really not sure what to do and sound like a real begginner, but really do love cycling and would really appreciate your insight.

Have you considered a Giant Anyroad?

They really are super versatile and an awesome, comfortable ride.

They have a more relaxed riding position and are available in large sizes.

A friend had one which he purchased after getting a top of the line TCR, and he basically ‘regretted’ the TCR because the Anyroad could do 90% of what the TCR could, and a whole lot more!

[quote=“alphabetman”]Have you considered a Giant Anyroad?

They really are super versatile and an awesome, comfortable ride.

They have a more relaxed riding position and are available in large sizes.

A friend had one which he purchased after getting a top of the line TCR, and he basically ‘regretted’ the TCR because the Anyroad could do 90% of what the TCR could, and a whole lot more![/quote]

Well if you’re going to a TCR to an Any Road, riding position is very different. When it comes down to it, you can use any kind of bike for any means, to an extent of course. I did the Taroko Gorge challenge up to Wu-Ling and saw people on foldable bikes. I saw, I kid you not, an anime character go up on a commuter bike probably weighing in at 20-30kg. It’s really personal preference. However, the Giant TCR’s geometry is built for climbing, so it’ll be best suited for that activity. Whereas the Giant Any Road is build for long distance rides (like Huan Dao, around the island rides) and can either can be used on the road or some dirt trails. Consider the Giant Defy3, good price for what you are getting. Problem is getting it in your size. You can also look into the Merida Scultura models, same price range and similar frame geometry as the TCR.

However, the lowest tier Any Road can still run you up to around 20,00NT. Do not forget the necessary accessories that you need to buy as well. Not sure if that package is within the OP’s budget.

Well, a long week of extensive looking later I reqlly don’t kniw what I should do. Giant says it can only order XL frames from the 2015 composite groupz meaning no TCR. They have the Giant Anyroad Comax for 42.8k but even that they said they may have to charge US pricing so more. Merida and Fuji say the same thing, basically no XL frames in Taiwan.
I’m reqlly wanting yo get into long distance cycling and am possibly willing to spend more (around the 40k mark) but don’t know how to start or what a good starter setup is at this pricepoint. Is the Comax a good option or should I go for a road bike - it seems like a strange bike to spend that much on? I don’t really ever intend to go offroad and would like to go fast. Asked about going for a large frame bike and they said after measuring again its really not safe because of how much they would have to adjust the setup front and back. Any advice guys? My height is really making this a frustrating situation.

What size Merida shop have you been to? I bought my bike at the Flagship store in Neihu (Taipei) and they were very accommodating. Granted, it’s not an XL model but an L… However, they did go though the trouble of getting a bike from elsewhere in the country. Might be worth a shot for you as well if you’re in the area.

The Giant stores gave me the same story you’re getting (You’re just to big, so we’ll have to import it at EU prices). So I’m really more pro Merida for large size frames around here. They were the only brand to actually succeed in offering me my size bike.

Other option might be one of the smaller bike manufacturers around here… They might be willing to do some more customization. You’ll have to rely on other forum members for that info though. Out of my experience zone :wink:

[quote=“thorn48sw”]Well, a long week of extensive looking later I reqlly don’t kniw what I should do. Giant says it can only order XL frames from the 2015 composite groupz meaning no TCR. They have the Giant Anyroad Comax for 42.8k but even that they said they may have to charge US pricing so more. Merida and Fuji say the same thing, basically no XL frames in Taiwan.
I’m reqlly wanting yo get into long distance cycling and am possibly willing to spend more (around the 40k mark) but don’t know how to start or what a good starter setup is at this pricepoint. Is the Comax a good option or should I go for a road bike - it seems like a strange bike to spend that much on? I don’t really ever intend to go offroad and would like to go fast. Asked about going for a large frame bike and they said after measuring again its really not safe because of how much they would have to adjust the setup front and back. Any advice guys? My height is really making this a frustrating situation.[/quote]

40K is a good price to start off at. Most 40K-ish bikes are “future proof”, meaning you won’t be swapping out a new bike too quickly (or ever). The AnyRoad CoMax is a good all-around bike, the geometry of the frame gives you a relaxed riding position, so good for long rides on flats or into the mountains. Here’s a good review for you to look at http://www.bikerumor.com/2012/10/11/found-giant-anyroad-the-best-bike-they-make-that-you-cant-buy-in-america/ If you want something a little more “race-y” you can look into Giant’s Defy line or even the Propel, I’ve seen larger frame sizes for those being sold where I bought my Giant bike.

Aside from the major brand shops, have you tried smaller bike shops? I know it might be a long shot, but it’s worth a try. The experience I’ve had with Giant shops in Taipei is that a lot of them follow a standard operating procedure on a lot of questions and they probably have a set response to the inquiries of large frame sizes and probably go with the “we do not have any and they are not produced in the country, so we have to order.” Try reasoning with them and see if they can at least sell it to you for the regular Taiwan price. If you scroll around the sub forum, you’re not the first one that has had this issue, so do some digging. You can also try bringing your situation to a self owned shop, they might be able to help you. Unfortunately, I do not know Taizhong well enough to direct you towards a store =(

Thanks for the advice. Was able to order an XL Giant Anyroad Comax. Should be in before the end of the month. Since it was special ordered I’m not expecting to get the price down, but do you guys have any tips on aaking for a “10% in add-ons” or the like I’m seeing in older threads. Looking for a helmet, pump, tool, tubes etc. Thanks guys! Looking forward to getting out and riding.

There should be no reason they should not at least gift you a front and back light as well as a bottle cage and bottle. Those are very essential and costs them probably nothing extra to gift you.

From my experience, they will not gift you the things that you’ve listed. Look on the bright side, you get 10% off all accessories from any Giant shop in Taiwan. Just give the store your registered phone number and they can look you up in the system.

As you may have read, a lot of the Giant stores really vary in their discounts. My store gave me 10% and gifted me all of the above that I mentioned.

You can also check out the accessories thread for some info
http://www.forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.php?f=134&t=132220

Well guys, I’m happy, satisfied Giant customer. Sold me the XL framed impossible to find bike at the Taiwan price and gave us 10% free merchandise from store without us even having to ask (4.2k worth). The even sent us out with extra goodies. Happy to be back on a bike and thank you all for all the help.

Time to post make a post to this thread:

[url]Show us your bike(s) [as in bicycles]

We normally don’t see a lot of Comax bikes on sub thread, do share!