Negotiating salary

I would assume so since I was told they start off people at 300 and go from there.

This place charges 6k for five 1 hour sessions. It’s a very expansive place, I don’t think 400nt/hr is crazy when you charge that much per kid.

If they’re charging NT$1200/hour, you deserve higher pay.

English schools pay over 50% of the money they charge one-on-one students to the teacher. They’re offering you 25%?

I agree, especially for the weekday program. I’m fluent in both English and Chinese, and the kids are 2-6. I will be able to communicate with the kids and with the parents directly without issue. With 2 years of teaching experience and all my athletic experience I think 400 is fair.

I also think 400 is fair for coaching basketball for their weekend program for kids ranging from age groups up to 18 a hour. And I think they charge a ridiculous amount for that, more then 1,200 a hour.t a

Also, I the schedule is not consistent like a weekly teaching schedule, it changes weekly. Thats a concern for me, there’s no contract that sets me at this many hours and which days I work. So some weeks I may have more hours and have to move my schedule around for them and some weeks I may get less hours. It makes it all the more difficult to budget and manage my weekly schedule.

Can you not set something up yourself? You can charge way less per student and earn much more than these rip-off merchants are offering.

4x500x30kids will get you what they are offering. If they want individual coaching you’d charge more.

But I also understand it might take a little while to build up and figure things out. You could offer free first class for newcomers.

Two to six kids per class or two to six years old? :astonished:

2-6 years old. The class range from 5-15 kids.

You forget the overhead cost of having the space in taipei for activities for kids and renting out a basketball gym for basketball.

No matter what your skills, and no matter what he tells the customers, the boss probably sees you as an overpaid babysitter. How much do kindergarten gym teachers earn? If you push the bilingual angle (“It’s really English lessons in disguise, so they won’t even know they’re learning! The new frontier in TPR!”), maybe citing the market rate for foreign English teachers at the kindergarten level will get you somewhere. That and experience in childcare.

What is the rate for kinddy classes?

I mean this is a really nich market for parents with money that want their kids to have more learning than just at school. It’s actually harder than kindergarten in some ways, the parents are there with you and they will be like the rich parents and expect everything to be perfect. So I’d expect more than 300 with experience teaching, in athletics and bilingual ability.

So the head coach and director is on my side, he will vouch for me on my ability with the owner. But can anyone tell me the average rate for kindergarten classes so I can use that as a comparison?

250-300/hour if you look Asian. Good luck with that. :wink:

Every said i wouldn’t find a teaching job because i’m asian, they wouldn’t pay me the same, I made the same and even more than “foreigners” while teaching part time and working on independent projects. Sometimes I hate this forum, people telling me what I can’t do and all pessimistic. Passive aggressiveness and sarcasm is the norm. i’ve gotten maybe 1-2 helpful advice so far.

Guy

Iirc the figures cited in previous threads range from 550 to 800, i.e. not that different from teaching older kids or adults.

So basically another organization poached me after I interviewed with them and coached a class with them. The owner is hands on, a former pro player and is also a coach, so he’s giving me 1,500 a hour and a management position with the organization as I’ve had experience in that area. Thanks for all the haters. One door closes another opens.

We will be working with some big name schools around Taipei’s basketball program and also private lessons.

Ch-ching!

Congrats on the new job

1 Like

Well done , as suggested earlier demonstrating your worth in front of the coach got you a way better offer…from a different coach.

I think there’s a lesson there in terms of ,
If your employer or prospective employer isn’t offering anything in the right ballpark, move on to the next guy who will want to one-up the competition with your skills.
The first employer would never have budged more than 10 or 20%. If you want to get a pay raise (abs this is what I’m going to say to my jealous colleagues who worked in the same place for the last ten years the next time they bitch I get paid more than them) you often need to move around and take a few risks.

OP was probably a bit fortunate in finding the right employer in time , I would probably have worked with the first guy first and then looked around.

He’s also fortunate that the ‘basketball industry’ seems to still pay well in Taiwan or at least Taipei for the right people. There are whole
Industries in Taiwan that they pretty much refuse to pay people above a certain amount. Hence you see engineers and pilots skipping off to China.

Well the problem with the advice earlier was people telling me play the coach one on one, which is completely rubbish. And I explained that the owner isn’t there to see, so the program I was at is the largest and they basically pay like how Taiwanese salaries are, based on seniority instead of actual performance. They have a great image and production and is great with making everything look good for the parents. But actually coaching there was sub par since the turnover rate unless you’ve been with them like 2-3 years is high. I get to expand this new program and really work on getting coaches that are skilled. And we have pro players backing us so its a good image. So basically I was hire on to take over a lot of the operations and expansion and also taking on most of the coaching responsibility. It’s cool since I have a chance to and the motivation to show my old boss he fucked up big time letting me go and being cheap.

Have you accepted the job? If yes, then the owner has assumed you are fine with their salary offer. It is very hard, and most of the time impossible, to negotiate salaries once you have already accepted the job and signed a contract.

If you have not accepted the job yet, then you can tell them you got a better offer from another team/school, and although you would prefer to coach this program, you also need the extra money.

Please note you would either get a new offer or end up jobless if they call your bluff. :innocent:

not sure what the big deal is. don’t take the job if its not worth your while.